Mental Illness with Jehovah's Witnesses

by Hope4Others 67 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

This presentation goes over Jerry Bergman's research on mental illness with Jehovah's Witnesses. This includes over 8 different research projects conducted by different doctors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrBXTvuAT1g

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

"jeohavh will destrooy his haters forever all you guys will be destro how can u guyz be son dum jehovah is the whole reason ther is life? but you guys will be sorry in armagedon!!! trust me!!! and i am a jw belieever so call me crazy cuz jeohvah is wathcing you ryt now believe it or not"

Oh how I could wish this person was just making a parody. I have a feeling they are not though. It makes me sad. (Not because I think "jeohvah is wathcing you ryt now" and that I'll "be sorry in armagedon".)

- Lime

PS: You'd think that at the very least they would learn how to spell their God's name correctly. Isn't it supposed to be holy and/or important? Not only are both spellings wrong, they're not even consistent.

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

My mother had a breakdown over all this JW crap. She still is in a constant state of anxiety, depression and deep sadness. She was hospitalized for a couple of weeks, but didn't improve. She was told by an elder not to mention the JW stance on shunning family members who don't believe the WT teachings.

Very sad. The solution to her problems are obvious, but neither she, nor my father can see it.

I hate that cult!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Here is the link to the paper written on it.

http://www.seanet.com/~raines/mental.html

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Awesome Purple sofa, I was trying to google written proof and references last night but could not come up with it...

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I may be crazy but I ain't no fool!!

• Heaven
    Heaven

She was told by an elder not to mention the JW stance on shunning family members who don't believe the WT teachings.

This says that their stance is not principled. If you cannot speak openly about it, it is wrong.

Depression is/was a major problem with at least 3 JWs in my family. You cannot be happy when your focus is on bad. It's that simple.

"What You Focus On Expands"

This is basically the #1 Law of the Universe. You attract into your life that which you focus on. So focus on the positive... on the good.

Every time I read WTS literature, there is always the big "But" in the writing. After that, it's all bad. Even my father said there's too much doom and gloom. One more reason I am not interested in joining.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

For comparison here is a study regarding the link between poverty and mental illness.

http://www.masspsy.com/leading/0506_ne_cover_study.html

Also I'd like to compare Jerry Bergman's findings with any studies that may have been done regarding mental illness in fundamentalist religions.

However I can agree that awakening from JW "truths" is fraught with emotional difficutly but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

edit: And also the pressures that the JW way of life exerts on one, particularly children and teenagers is diabolical

• The Berean
    The Berean

Bergman's presentation opens a line of questioning in my mind. If medication is so helpful, it must be that depression is a chemical imbalance rather than an environmental complication. The subjects of these studies may have already had the predisposition for depression and their experience in the organization may have only served as a trigger for episodes of the disorder. Who can say with certainty that the subjects would not have experienced the same condition lacking the exposure to one particular religious structure?

• villabolo
    villabolo

Berean, your social environment can impact your brain chemistry. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is a good example. You're most likely dealing with two sets of persons. Those who had a predisposition to depression like you mentioned and those who do not under normal circumstances but who would get depressed under the unnatural stress and strain of the JWs.

By the way, those who would be already predisposed to depression may their problem aggravated by being in the JW religion.

villabolo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit