Mental Illness with Jehovah's Witnesses

by Hope4Others 67 Replies latest watchtower medical

• flipper
    flipper

HOPE 4 OTHERS- Very good U-tube ! Thanks for posting it ! This is a problem in the Jehovah's Witness cult that too many of them bury their heads in the sand about like ostriches . It's too bad that more don't seek psychiatric help inside the cult - too bad for the individual, and too bad for the people around them that they drive insane with their manic depression or psychotic behavior ! But the leaders of the WT society have done a good job of dissing professional counselors so much so - that most witnesses think it's evil to seek " worldly wisdom " as they call it to get help they need. Somehow they've been convinced that the elders are also psychiatric counselors - and it just ain't so ! They are NOT professionally trained to handle these issues in people's lives . A sad state of affairs in the witness organization. Peaceout, Mr. Flipper

• babel on
    babel on

If you think about it unless your born into the org you are depressed when they get ya hooked.......if your not they will try to make you depressed, for instance you can be having the best day of your life like this poor bstd;

Hello: JW

Hi: poor bstd

what a lovely little boy:JW

We are so happy, I never thought a child could bring so much joy to our lives: poor bstd

NOW BRACE YOURSELF CAUSE HERE IT COMES

Have you ever wondered what the future holds for him, I mean with wars and crime and poverty, rape, murder, drugs, children bringing guns to school? :JW (They somehow keep a smile)

You have in effect taken one of the happiest days of a persons life, a positive moment and took a big piss on it! And if this person does'nt just say "Go away" and listens to this crap he has started a long journey into the negative world view of the WTS.........

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Back in the 90s there was this wave of JW women being diagnosed, or diagnosing themselves, with Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD). It was like all the sudden everyone was realizing they had been molested or abused in the past, and they were caught up in discovering suppressed memories.

I think it was a perfect storm situation, where the witnesses, who are statistically more likely to exhibit mental illness, being extra vulnerable to various trend methods of secular therapy.

Any thoughts on this?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

If medication is so helpful, it must be that depression is a chemical imbalance rather than an environmental complication.

Not always. Believe it or not, some popular drugs are only as effective as placebo.

• the research lady
  • White Dove
    White Dove

I can vouch for depression happening solely because of exposure to a nasty environment. It does a number on a person's brain. I was in a constant state of depression while in the JW's. But once out, I gradually got better and better so that I don't have even a hint of it now. All the time I had depression (sometimes deep) I fought it because it was not inherent in my make-up. My family has a ton of depression genes floating around in our gene pool, but I didn't inherit it. I know that because it took really bad experiences on a constant basis to get me depressed. Now, I get sad at stuff, but can bounce back every time.

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

My mother a jw spent most of my childhood severly depressed and as a result I ended up severly neglected alot of the time .but she would still manage to throw things together to drag herself and me to the meeting(my father worked away from home) and keep up appearances .The fact that no-one noticed we both lost an extreme amount of weight and could hardly communicate with our former "friends" went unoticed.Its one of the things i resent the most about the org.The lack of support they give people as long as you make it to the meeting it doesnt seem to matter that there at home in bed crying the rest of the time with their kids raising themselves.

• The Berean
    The Berean

villabolo: Interesting thought about environmental consequences.

I guess I always believed that you can't run from your problems. If your suggestion is correct, then perhaps one can. Therefore any who remain, for instance, in bad marriages, jobs, or under the rule of corrupt governments may not have an equal chance to improve their lot unless and until they sever. Wow, I'll have to think about that ...

• looking4peace
    looking4peace

I just have to say that even though the WT literature recommends counseling to a person who needs it, a witness is so afraid of ending up with a counselor that will "discourage" them spiritually OR they are so afraid of bringing reproach on Jehovah's name by revealing that they have problems as a witness OR they are afraid something they say will make the organization look bad and they will be bloodguilty for stumbling a potential sheep that most will not go to counseling, no matter how badly they need it.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

those who would be already predisposed to depression may their problem aggravated by being in the JW religion.

I certainly agree that this can be the case. Chemical imbalances, family history of depression, eating disorders and so forth can all come into play.

Many young couples I knew and associated with one of them often suffered depression. Raising a family, making a living, trying to keep up with study preparation, meetings, service and the stress of talks often had its toll. Some people are good at juggling but for others the multi tasking becomes a burden and stressful.

So many suffer in silence for fear of the stigmatisim that becomes attached to such ones. Many years ago you did not openly talk about depression, you would get the you need to get out in service more or pray more. God will fix it in the new system.

Elders are not psychologist's not therapists they have no qualifications in these area's. What good does reading you a couple of scriptures do? People need real support and understanding its a long haul and their feelings are real.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit