Mental Illness with Jehovah's Witnesses

by Hope4Others 67 Replies latest watchtower medical

• monkeyman
    monkeyman

Take the average person in the world with average anxieties and phobias.

Add to that the additional stresses of

1. Getting ready and attending 3 mind numbingly boring meetings a week, 2 in the evening and 1 on Sunday morning.

2. Getting ready and preparing for the door to door ministry where you face opposition and ridicule among other things.

3. Spending 10 hours riding in a car on Saturday mornings in a suit with people you don’t like.

4. Having to prepare and deliver public speaking assignments 1 or twice a month

5. Being subject to criticism for “not doing more” on a regular basis from people you don’t like.

6. Spending time preparing and studying publications so that you can give comments at meetings.

7. Feeling anxiety if you don’t.

8. Stressing over a CO visit twice a year where you receive criticism for what your not doing

9. Preparing and attending a DC every summer where you spend an entire weekend in a suit with your family in tow.

10. Preparing and attending a CA and SAD twice a year where you spend an entire weekend in a suit with your family in tow.

And see if you don’t have some additional anxiety, depression, other aggravated mental health issues.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

In the past three yrs Two young witnesses close to my family have committed suicide . They both had unneccessary pressure of fitting in as a witness pushed upon them when they clearly did not want the witness lifestyle . They both wanted to live their own lives their own way ,but this of course is out of the question when your whole family is witnesses .

The pressure to be someone you are not can slowly kill you from the inside out . For some people they choose death over conformity because they saw no other way out .

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

I suspect there may be stress related issues with mental illness among Jehovah's Witnesses. However, Jerry Bergman is a poor source to look to for support of that contention. This is a guy that couldn't get tenure at Bowling Green because of shoddy work, the Universities decision was upheld in court when he sued. This is a guy that got kicked out of his lucrative "expert witness" gig when courts found out that he was simply not credible. This is a guy whose writings have been severely criticized by academics for methodology and sourcing. Just because he supports what you want to believe doesn't make him a good source. If you want to prove this point, and I'd really like to see some serious work on it, then don't depend on Bergman, he's a joke.

• garyneal
    garyneal

I read through some of this post and I can agree with Jazzbo in that we must make sure of the research and not just accept it because "it agrees with our viewpoint." But I will say this based on my own personal experiences.

Someone asked if they were similar reseach conducted on people in fundamentalist religions. If anyone has been reading my posts, they will know that although I was never a Jehovah's Witness personally my first experience with church (that counted I guess) was within a fundamentalist church. The preacher would regularly and dogmatically preach about things that had little to no basis in the Bible and I would feel like even though my salvation is supposed to be guaranteed by Christ, I still wasn't doing enough to please God and ensure that I was good enough for Him (sound familiar?). Many days I would come home from church feeling depressed and even a bit suicidal because I would be made to feel low because the preacher would give a sermon that I felt he was directing at me personally (sound familiar?). Legalism was the name of the game and it would often make me wonder how a loving God would say on the one hand, "You are my son due to the my free gift through Christ." and later say, "You are doing these things I hate and you are not good enough for Me." (SOUND FAMILIAR?)

Did my 'depression' happen because of the religion? I can't say because throughout my childhood, I have always had to deal with life's ups and downs and sometimes I did not cope well and sometimes I did. I will say that it certainly did not help my mood at all and going there was not always the uplifting thing that people expect within their home church. I mean, the church is suppose to be our santuary where we can go to get some spiritual uplifting. I don't expect the church to be able to provide it on a 100% basis every time but if someone regularly feels down and depressed even though that individual is devout, something's wrong.

It wasn't until I began fading from that church and attending college before I began feeling better about myself. Consequently, the feeling down all of the time faded along with it. Eventually, I began to see those churches for what they were and decided that I was better off without church. However, God still loved me and a few years later when I went through another down point in my life, He stepped in and lifted me up and this time I stayed away from the Independent Fundamental Baptist churches. In fact, I started attending a Church of God (a church that my IFB pastor said was preaching false doctrines due to their tongue speaking). I guess it was my little 'rebellion' against the IFB churches.

After graduating from college I met my wife who I learned was a witness. I did not know a lot about them at the time for I just thought they were a bunch of well dressed people who go door to door, not believing in Hell, not celebrating Christmas, and called God Jehovah. One thing I noted about her and her sister early on is that they took medication for their head. She was (and still is) on Paxil but I did not link it to the religion immediately. She just told me that she had panic attacks and feared large crowds. But her views concerning God astounded me to say the least. Rather than a loving God who did not want anyone to perish and even sent His own Son to redeem us, she talked about Him like He was this God who is waiting for people to do wrong so He could destroy them. Rather than a loving God who judges sinners not because He does not love them but because these sinners choose to reject Him and He therefore has no choice to but judge them on their works and allow them to die in their sins, she portrays Him as a God who is looking to take away His gift of everlasting life at the first opportunity when one of His children commit a wrong act.

Her God is depressing. How can the Jehovah's Witnesses deny Hell claiming that a loving God will not permit His creation to suffer for an eternity, yet portray Him as an unloving being looking to kill His children at the first opportunity? Keep studying, keep attending meetings, keep going out in field service, keep pleasing the elders, keep serving Jehovah, don't play sports, don't go to the YMCA, don't associate with worldly people, and don't even think of celebrating the holidays or your birthday. If someone is disfellowshipped, don't you even think of being that person's friend for Jehovah will be very displeased with you and cut you off from His people too.

My wife told me that if she knew she did not have to 'follow all of these rules' to obtain everlasting life, she wouldn't. She even told this to the book study elder and his wife and his wife felt the same way. I've tried telling her about the free gift from Christ Jesus but she doesn't beleive it is that simple. 'Faith without works is dead' is her favorite response. I guess she will always be on Paxil.

So even if Dr. Bergman's research is not the most 'credible' research concerning people in legalistic, rules based, religions like the Jehovah's Witnesses, I will certainly say based on my own personal experience that I think he is really onto something.

• blondie
    blondie

I would like people to remember that "depression" that many people have is not situational but is a medical illness. While situations might aggravate the condition, it does not cause it. Such people can be treated with medications. Regardless of their situation, depression can still persist, and may their whole life.

The problem with being a jw and having such an illness is the the WTS discourages people from getting medical treatment, mostly out of fear that the WTS will be considered the problem and jws will leave. Regardless of what the publications say, I have seen elders talk people out of treatment, as well as their family from letting them.

Even outside the WTS a strong prejudice exists regarding mentally ill people. People are afraid to seek treatment because of that prejudice, fear of losing your job, not being able to rent, thinking that they are dangerous criminals. Just recently the state I live in has passed a bill providing for parity in health coverage for the mentally ill.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

@jazzbo and garyneal - Thanks for saying that. Everytime someone hauls out Bergman's research as evidence I cringe b/c the source has been so thoroughly discredited. Very balanced observations - thanks.

• yellow
    yellow

I was at the drs today to reverse my decision for not accepting blood. He enquired further about this, I said I was no longer a j/w and if I needed a blood transfusion I would readily accept one. He asked about how my depresion was and I said it had greatly improved and I had no depressive episodes for around 8 months. He mentioned that they had a lot of j/w`s as patients and a few drs were concerned about the amount of depression/mental illness amongst them. He further went on to say it will be interesting to see how you keep doing now you are no longer part of that group. So drs are aware of this issue after all.

• still wondering
    still wondering

Despite the few ex JW's here who claim all manner of qualifications in mental health and psychology gained since leaving the cult (having a degree seems to go to their head, if indeed they actually have the claimed qualification) my own experience of being raised a JW from a young child and observation of others, there is simply no contest.

Whether Bergman is a credible authority or not he could still be right. As the majority here have already observed and experienced he is spot on in this matter.

• Balsam
    Balsam

While I was a JW which spanned nearly 30 years I observed that people who were obviously mentally unstable were the ones who showed the most interest in the JW way of presenting the bible. The pat answers and stiff routine of 5 meetings a week seemed to appeal to people who couldn't cope with the uncertainties of life. I know in my door to door work I hesitated appealing or making return visits on people who seemed emotionally unbalanced. Perhaps that is why I ever was able to bring anyone into the witnesses. Lots of the pioneers had studies with emotionally unstable ones believing they were helping them, but in time the people only became more sick.

10% to 16% increase over the general population in mental illness among JW's sounds right to me. The constant isolation from the general public played into this and JW teachings certainly is problematic.

Ruth

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Alcoholism, suicide, depression yes they all run rampant and have you EVER seen a group jump on the newest cure all bandwagon like JW's? I mean they go insane over it!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit