Have any of you had the experience of listening to a Witness' sad story, and not being able to tell them, ITS BECAUSE YOU ARE IN A CULT!?

by BonaFide 35 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

Yes I have tried telling some of them but they just can't see the obvious. At least 50 percent of their problems stem from being Jehovah's Witnesses yet they won't give it up. Isn't that a definition for insanity, to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? It is sad to watch but it is their choice.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

the different results come from having an audience with different views

• boyzone
    boyzone

Have you read Steve Hassan's Releasing the Bonds Bonafide? He'll give you an idea on how to proceed with these sort of conversations without raising red flags.

Things like, "I once knew this girl from work that felt like this. She was continually treated like a child by her boss and told to do the obvious. In the end she was so depressed and demeaned at being controlled like that, that she left and found another job"

By talking about "work" and not JW's directly, you can make the point and leave them to draw the necessary conclusions themselves without directly criticising the Org and raising the red flags.

The book might just give you the tools to do this.

http://www.freeminds.org/shop.html

• chicken little
    chicken little

I have a friend that is still a jw, I left over 2 years ago after being in over 40 years. We know each other in and out and I know all of her deep frustrations and depressions. So now it gets difficult. Before she could tell me everything about what was going on in her life because I was "in".

Now she tries bravely to make me believe she is just fine. I feel so sad when I see how unhappy she is. She has been diagnosed with various depressive ailments and trying many different medications. She has given up on this life and seems so apathetic towards everything. She attends few meetings, relying on the telephone link up....that way she can stay home where she feels happy.

When I mention how happy I am and how good life is, I sometimes feel I am rubbing her nose in it..so often I tone down my experiences for her sake. Before when negative things happened in the cong, she could vent on me..now she avoids saying anything because she maybe thinks that I will say..I told you so..Actually that is something I never do.

I know she sees so much rubbish in her way of life, but she has no other choice than to carry on as usual. Of course there is another way but it is so costly for her she just cannot contemplate it.

Sad.

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Chicken little, I have a friend like that. She was even interviewed on an assembly awhile back talking about her depression. She is on meds, never married, in her 40's, so, so sad. She has no idea its because she's a Witness. She always talks about Armageddon.

BF

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

I don't think it's just because she's a witness. But she may find it helpful to come on to JWN. She may just be able to find some friends, and it may be an outlet to get a receptive audience, at least some non-apathetic feedback. Being on JWN has been quite helpful for me … much less TV, much less mood problems, and I could go on. Now, to find out what's written on other Topics.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit