What Were Some Stupid Rules In Your Hall?

by minimus 64 Replies latest jw friends

• Robert7
    Robert7

You should take a noisy kid in back, but you cannot hang out in the back room, and you cannot hang out in the lobby area. So the only option was to leave!

• undercover
    undercover
    No boy-boy sleepovers...

I'm sure girl-girl sleepovers were the model of chastity and virture...

• undercover
    undercover

Someone told me that to give a talk at the assembly brothers had to wear a matching suit, in other words, jacket and pants could not be different. Does anyone know if that's true
    ?

I don't know if it's a Society requirement but that was the rule in my area for a long time. I don't know if it still is.

Some of the local congregations adapted that same rule for Sunday Pulbic Talk speakers and WT conductors. We did get away with sport coats that didn't match the pants for Book Study and Ministry School/Service Meeting.

I remember one brother being counseled for wearing 'flared' dress pants back in the early 70s. A friend of mine got counseled for wearing a 'Sonny Crockett' (Miami Vice) suit during the mid 80s.

I got counseled for wearing a long black trench coat and fedora in service. I was told I looked like a Mafia member instead of a Christian minister.

• thepackage
    thepackage

In my old Hall, if you went to clean the Hall on Saturday you could not wear shorts or t-shirts with any logo. I wore an In-N-Out t-shirt (hamburger joint) and they made me turn it inside out.

Sisters in the Hall would get a hard time if they put highlights in thier hair.

• undercover
    undercover
    In my old Hall, if you went to clean the Hall on Saturday you could not wear shorts or t-shirts with any logo. I wore an In-N-Out t-shirt (hamburger joint) and they made me turn it inside out.

That was the rule for quick builds and assembly hall construction sites as well. I got in trouble for wearing an army surplus jacket. It wasn't the new camo style but the old olive green style. There were no patches or anything to link it to the US Army but I guess it was pretty recognizable, thanks to all the war footage and movies. I didn't think anything of it, I liked how it fit and moved while working. It was perfect for construction work...but I was told if I showed up at a KH/AH site, I would be sent home. Stupid me...I should've wore it anyway...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Jaydeen wrote, "Apparently there was a congregation near ours that banned women wearing red dresses because the symbolic Great Harlot in the publications wore a red dress. I still don't get how a color that God created could be evil..."

That's because 2,000 years ago only the wealthy Roman matrons and wealthy citizens of the Roman Empire could afford red... And it was definitely a DIFFERENT red than the ones we have nowadays with the synthetic 'aniline' dyes developed towards the end of the Victorian era...

The tradition that red was 'evil' has varied from period to period - at one point during the Renaissance, lower-class workers and farmers urgently petitioned the 'powers that be' to be allowed to wear red - which the aristocracy of the time vehemently opposed - the expensive colors of red and purple set them apart from the 'hoi polloi'...

Which illustrates - yet again - the sheer idiocy of following a god developed by primitive, ignorant, superstitious Middle Eastern men of twenty centuries past...

Zid

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I know you haven't heard from me in a while. I have been posting on the other board since the new year. It is rather quiet there lately.

In my hall there was the stupid no-denim rule. They wanted to promote a 'business-like' look. I always felt this was rather hypocrital of them since they don't like the business world anyway. As far as the other rules are concerned, I have heard most of them. I think pretty much all the halls have the same rules.

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

I was counceled once because I left the stage after my talk before the following brother made it to the platform. The elder told me it was not appropriate to leave the platform vacant.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Our Hall had a talk regarding PG-13 movies being just as bad as R rated movies, so they were banned for a couple of years.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

When the young elders replaced the old guard of elders, the congregation changed from being fun to hell.

That congregation's special needs talks contained rules galore.

To prevent immorality, they counseled against hugging in the congregation. Shaking of hands in the KH were to be limited to a few seconds. Also brothers and sisters could not sit next to each other in the KH unless they were married, seriously engaged to be married, or close family member. A brother could not pick up a sister to bring to the meeting if she didn't have transportation nor could a sister pick up a brother in transportation needs. Nor can a brother work with a sister in field service unless they were married, engaged to be married, or a close family member.

Multi-congregation social gatherings were wrong because none of the elders wanted to be the "one" in charge. All social gatherings, large or small, had to have a person in charge. That person would be held responsible for anyone getting out of line. Do not tell anyone that you are going camping or fishing, etc., because if they showed up even if you did not invite them, then you are the person in charge and responsible for them and their actions.

The congregation had to sit in the first 8 rows of the KH, unless you had children or were DF. This way empty rows would not exist in the front. Empty rows in the front make it appear that the congregation was in fear of the speakers and that should never appear that way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit