Some things really ticked me off at the meeting last night...

by wantarevolution 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

The Watchtower discussion, at one of the last meeting I ever attended, centered on Christian charity. I answered that I had "researched" the topic and discussed the extent to which 1st Century Christians practiced charity as contrasted with the pagans, especially the following.

"The difference between pagans and Christians on the practice of charity was recognized by pagans of the time. For example, the pagan satirist Lucian (130-200 c.e.) mocked Christians for their charity:

The earnestness with which the people of this religion help one another in their needs is incredible. They spare themselves nothing for this end. Their first lawgiver put it into their heads that they were all brethren.

Even more interestingly, the Pagan Emperor Julian -- who attempted to lead the Roman Empire back to paganism -- was frustrated by the superior morality shown by the Christians, especially when it came to charity. This was something he readily admitted: "The impious Galileans relieve both their own poor and ours . . . . It is shameful that ours should be so destitute of our assistance." Epistles of Julian, 49. Julian "especially admired the letters bishops wrote to commend poor travelers to the care of other Christians." Hinson, op. cit., page 211."

http://www.christiancadre.org/member_contrib/cp_charity.html

I concluded my comment by saying that, while the preaching work is important, it does not relieve Christians from having to practice practical acts of charity.

The PO was conducting, his eyes got as big as saucers, his wife's hand immediately flew up into the air, he called on her, and she made a comment about the superiority of the preaching work over other acts of charity.

THEN, in the closing prayer, the PO prayed for me...specifically, he said ask that Jehovah protect the hearts of those "who are researching to realize that all we need is found the the WTBTS's literature."

c

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    WantaRevolution said: because as James says, what good is it if we just wander off, and not think about someone when they are cold and hungry - works are also acts that require a bit more than handing them a tract.

Awesome!

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    1. why i didn't mention the charity works done by the witnesses in America after Katrina /Houston floods

Because they only helped their brothers and sent any left-over scraps to those who needed the help. That's not charity, it's just helping your brothers. Even then, the displaced brothers and sisters couldn't stay in the Kingdom Halls that were completed LONG before their homes were done.

At least that's what I would've said.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

One talk I did once with a 'sister' on Christian charity gave equal validity to hands-on charitable works that alleviate immediate suffering and teaching people how to change their lives for the better via the Christian ethos. And it was all backed up with one or two of the many instances in the gospels where Jesus did the same, so nobody could come to me and say I was 'out of line.'

I was determined not to use cliches (like, "Jesus wasn't known as a Healer but a Teacher" - grrr!) and spoke favorably of institutions or churches that were big on charitable missions (instead of, "They mean well, but it's pointless really and they just end up with 'rice Christians'" - barf!). I remember getting positive comments afterward.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Charity to the Jews, which most of the first and second generation Christians probably were, was pasrt of their Laws, they did it because they had to, though we hope that many did it because they wanted to also.

With Christians though, the INTENT was key, it was not out od duty or the law, but out of Love for our fellow man, it wasn't for recompense of "salvation do to good deeds", but because there was to be a genuine LOVE for all mankind and as such, this grace that followed from God,through Jesus, compelled ( and still does) one to do right, just out of sheer Love.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Actually P, Christians went well beyond the Law. Pagans didn't have a history of charitable works; Jews practiced charity, but only to other Jews. Christians , based upon Jesus' example, practiced charity towards ALL groups, which is why Pagan Emperor Julian was so upset. Needless to say, such a generous group as the Christians attracked many followers. Julian hoped to stem the tide of converts and rebuild the Pagan nation, but he was unsucessful.

BTW, I was born/raised in Sacto. My daughter is attending U of P, McGeorge School of Law.

• straightshooter
  • daniel-p
    daniel-p

I was feeling particularly peeved at the whole of last night, and on the way home from the meeting, couldn't help but wonder why i hadn't done as i wanted, and gone to the beach with some friends and opened a bottle of wine. Perhaps next week

As long as you're in the JW religion, life will continue to pass you by.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Why anyone would want to attend meetings after seeing the "troof" for what it is, is beyond me, personally. I can think of alot better ways to spend an evening.......millions matter of fact!

As for what Tassel said regarding hopeful passages in the bible, well, quite frankly, it's pretty damned hard to listen to the bible 'message' when you can't hear crap all over the grumbling of your stomach. And to suggest that the "bible message" will solve all life's problems, that's a high ivory tower many do not have the luxury of living in today, tomorrow or next year.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

And the witlesses only put on the illusion of charity by helping those of their own kind, or those who they thought would study and become witlesses after being helped. Real charity does not demand or insinuate any indebtedness after the act of charity.

Well said WTwizard, the JWS never have invoked an initiative to help the poor and disadvantaged in their own community.

When other religious organization do so much to help out in their own community and a broad in different countries , the JWS do absolutely nothing.

Not exactly what one would define as being Christian, in the figurative sense.

Oh wait a second thats just Satan's Christendom thats helping out those people.........I forgot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit