Some things really ticked me off at the meeting last night...

by wantarevolution 34 Replies latest jw friends

• wantarevolution
    wantarevolution

...aside from the snooze fest that was the "bible study", taken by a brother who was 5 minutes late - went 10 minutes over and obiously hadn't prepared shit for the meeting (this is the same brother that "encouraged" me to be 15 minutes early for all meetings to welcome people)

1) i had the nº3 talk, about "christians helping the poor", no source material or anything. I played it good, spoke about our duty to be good christians, and charitable to everyone, and how it is a conscience matter as to how we donate our money or charitable deeds.I even used a quote by mother theresa

I got taken into the back-room by an over eager elder, who asked my 1. why i didn't mention the charity works done by the witnesses in America after Katrina /Houston floods 2. why i felt the need to quote a "catholic". 3. why i didn't mention the preaching work as a charitable deed.

I answered - 1. Because i didn't feel the need to toot our own horn ( i worded it better) 2. because like it or not, she had a faith in God, and was a great humanitarian and 3. because as James says, what good is it if we just wander off, and not think about someone when they are cold and hungry - works are also acts that require a bit more than handing them a tract.

2) In the service meeting, there was an item about using the bible - the elder (the same one that took me "aside") stated it was better to get people using the NWT as soon as possible, as some translations could disprove a point we are trying to make due to translations issues.

I was feeling particularly peeved at the whole of last night, and on the way home from the meeting, couldn't help but wonder why i hadn't done as i wanted, and gone to the beach with some friends and opened a bottle of wine. Perhaps next week

• Heaven
    Heaven

the elder (the same one that took me "aside") stated it was better to get people using the NWT as soon as possible, as some translations could disprove a point we are trying to make due to translations issues.

Very interesting comment. To me, this says a lot about the validity of the whole religion as well as the Bible (Caveat Emptor).

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, great that you can see these problems. Stick to your guns on the No. 3 talk issue. Tell them to pull you from the school if they don't like what you have to say, at least tell them to prove what you said is wrong. You go. Strength to you.

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

Well done! They need to be reminded that Jesus did more than preach....

1) i had the nº3 talk, about "christians helping the poor", no source material or anything. I played it good, spoke about our duty to be good christians, and charitable to everyone, and how it is a conscience matter as to how we donate our money or charitable deeds.I even used a quote by mother theresa
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

I bet they would have been even more p***ed were I giving that talk. I would have said that charitable deeds that are done through a religion have less than 5% efficiency, whereas most worldly charities have 65% efficiency. And the witlesses only put on the illusion of charity by helping those of their own kind, or those who they thought would study and become witlesses after being helped. Real charity does not demand or insinuate any indebtedness after the act of charity.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

If enough people give talks the way you do, they'll do away with the talks that don't have source material. If they want you to only spout the partyline, they'll have to spell out what to say.

• undercover
    undercover
    the elder ... stated it was better to get people using the NWT as soon as possible, as some translations could disprove a point we are trying to make due to translations issues.

haha...Even in their cognitive dissonance they unwittingly see the truth...

• torre
  • mouthy
    mouthy

Good for you love.

Yeah go to the beach next time Enjoy your life ,dont go to" downers"

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

wtwizard:

I bet they would have been even more p***ed were I giving that talk.

dude...if you gave a talk in a kingdum hell I might be willing to break my streak of no meetings to hear you do that..... maybe... or have someone record it... I have an allergy to stupid (JWs)....nah..never mind...even with you as a draw I ain;t goin back.

Snakes ()

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit