Bible scholars/researchers: What is your favorite version of the Bible?

by restrangled 51 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Interlinears are crucial if you will be comparing translations, for example:

in Acts chapter 2:46, 5:42 and 20:20, we have the passage "house to house", I am sure everyone is familar with this one ;)

Not all translations translate them the same, some even translate the words differently from chapter to chapter, even though the words are the same in all 3 passages.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I like the Aesop's Fables translations.

Easy to read language.

Spoilers in Cliff Notes if you can't figure out the parables.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Cameo-d......you pistol, you!

r.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Yeah I like the Hebrew and Greek, great for getting to the core.

Biblos.com: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages

Also, checking the original language soon blows any notion of the NWT being the "most accurate" to smithereens :)

All the best,

Stephen

• restrangled
    restrangled

Chalam...Thankyou!!

r.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Sorry double post

r.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hey RS, my pleasure :)

I tend to use the online bibles more than anything-much quicker to search, loads of versions and "extras" such as commentaries etc.

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions ...

I use this one for daily reading-nice reading plans, plus it reads to you, just press play!

ESV.org: Official Website of the English Standard Version Bible

Here are the reading plans

Devotions

I use this one. Can't say I keep on top of it though! That said, I like the mix of books OT/NT in this plan.

One-Year Tract Bible Reading Plan

All the best,

Stephen

• thomas15
    thomas15

Unlike Chalam, I perfer to have the hard copy in hand. This however is going to be my downfall as my wife is getting tired of me taking over all of the bookshelves in the house. In addition to my Bible collection, I have 1000+ books on the Bible and or Bible subjects, theologies, commentaries, too many books.

Anyway, a free computer based Bible program with lots of add-on moduals is http://www.e-sword.net/

This is a full feature program and has commentaries, lexicons, Christian classics, all searchable, you can run four different translations in parallel at one time. Some of the newer translations cost money if you want them but there are a whole bunch of free translations available and lots of free add-ons. The program is stable so you don't have to worry about it crashing your computer.

• Dagney
    Dagney

The New Jerusalem. I brought it to the meeting the last year or two before I left, reading verses in context...learned tons with the copious footnotes, introductions, reference material.

Beautiful and easy to read.

• thomas15
    thomas15

Chalam,

I really love this post of yours:

Yeah I like the Hebrew and Greek, great for getting to the core.

Biblos.com: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages

Also, checking the original language soon blows any notion of the NWT being the "most accurate" to smithereens :)

All the best,

Stephen

In my Bible collection is of course several editions of the NWT. Just looking at them gives me a headache. The misery this version causes really leaves me feeling ill.

On the other hand, when I pick up my favorite Bible, which is a New King James Version center columm reference edition (Nelson #3005 black bonded leather), I feel like I'm visiting a good friend that I haven't seen in a while. It is never a chore for me to "take up and read". This is for me, one of the mysteries of the WT, I don't know how members can tote around a Bible and not be really digging into it. I understand that the society discourages independent study and for good reason as it is the cause of many to leave the org. But for me it is hard to describe the pleasure I get from reading and studying the Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit