Bible scholars/researchers: What is your favorite version of the Bible?

by restrangled 51 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thanks for the help so far....I saw the different versions everyone has talked about so far.

All of your input is very helpful. With so many translations it's hard to pick and choose. As Thomas stated, maybe it's best to start collecting them, although at $50.00 each, I'll need to start searching at garage sales.

I would still like to get more opinions and/or favorites of everyone and then start a list from there.

Thanks again.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I like this site; it has concordances, commentaries, atlases, interlinears, etc.

http://bible.cc/psalms/83-18.htm

Oh, did I mention parallel passages?

Sylvia

• z
    z

For me the original Hebrew

Z

• thomas15
    thomas15

Garage sales and used book stores. Ebay sometimes, christianbook.com, amazon.com, alibris.com I'm always looking for used Bibles.

I don't meant to brag but for some reason Bibles find their way to me on their own and usually inexpensive or free. A few have cost some coin though. I have several study Bibles that are collectable and worth way more than I paid for them. Once I won a New King James Study Bible on ebay. It was supposed to be a hard cover, I won it for $6.00 When I got it, it turned out to be genuine leather. I was given a Dickson Btudy Bible, this is worth $400.00 in the condition it is in.

I have also gotten burned a few times. Then again, I have a 1st edition kingdom interlinier that i paid $3.00 at a used book store. On the topic of interliniers, a previous poster mentioned one which is good, another good one is "The Reverse Interlinier" which is based on the NIV. A strongs concordance is also a must because it assigns numbers to the greek and hebrew words so that you can look up the word in a greek or hebrew dictionary or lexicon.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thanks for the online help also.... Snowbird, and PSacremento ! I do like to have something "in hand" though, especially during power outages, websites being down etc.

Z, you must be able to read Hebrew! That would be the be all end all!

r.

• restrangled
    restrangled

"The Reverse Interlinier" which is based on the NIV. A strongs concordance is also a must because it assigns numbers to the greek and hebrew words so that you can look up the word in a greek or hebrew dictionary or lexicon.

.....thanks Thomas I'll look for that!

r.

• z
    z

restrangled yes I do.....my first language.

Z

• thomas15
    thomas15

r.

I hope you know that you have opened up a can of worms.

Tom

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Thanks Thomas.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Wow Z.....! I can't imagine the thrill of reading original Hebrew. My husband and I spent a month in Israel about 25 years ago.....talk about feeling connected to the Bible. To see and experience so much that one reads in the Bible was spectacular. I can't imagine being able to read in that language!

Oops, didn't mean to hijack my own thread.

This is very informative, and all opinions and favorites are welcomed. I didn't mean to be exclusive about scholars/researchers....I should have added just readers too!

Thanks again in advance to all who respond!

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit