Bible scholars/researchers: What is your favorite version of the Bible?

by restrangled 51 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

I only have the NWT. I went to the bookstore and picked up the Scofield Study Bible III version of the NIV.

I have 2 weeks to return or exchange it. I should have done more research before I went, but this looked like a fairly good choice.

Comments/or any other suggestions please? Thanks!

r.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

As long as we're discussing translations, I recently picked up a Holman Christian Standard Bible. I'd be interested in any comments on that, too.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I personally like the New Jerusalem Bible. Get one with notes if you can.

• oompa
    oompa

i like the ones reduced to ashes........oompa

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I did a couple of undergraduate Bible studies courses and tutors told us that the New Revised Standard Version is most widely used in the UK for teaching purposes. An impressive list of scholars were involved in the translation. I like the fact they take variants in the Dead Sea Scrolls and Septuagint readings in the Old Testament seriously.

I think some view the NIV as having an Evangelical bias, as it tries to smooth over problems in the text and make it more "orthodox" in places.

There are some good books about the merits of various Bible translations, especially The Bible in Translation: Ancient and English Versions by Bruce Metzger and The Bible in English: A History of Translations by F F Bruce.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

If you want a study bible then this is da hype :)

Home | ESV Study Bible | Crossway

All the best,

Stephen

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

A good interlinear is a must for any bible student.

In regards to the NT I suggest:

The New Greek-English Interlienar NT by Tyndale.

• thomas15
    thomas15

It is doubtful that I could be considered a Bible Scholar, but I do have an opinion.

The NIV is, in my opinion a very good modern translation. I used it and nothing else for 20 years. The translators were mainly Evangelicals and it's intended for Evangelicals but in my humble opinion it is still readable and accurate. As for the Scofield notes, they are Dispensational. In the almost 100 years since the Scofield has been around, it has sold probably more than any other study Bible. I have several Scofields and really love them but not everyone appreciates the Dispensational notes. Again, the Bible you have is in my opinion, a solid translation with solid notes.

The Holman Standard mentioned by another poster is another modern translation and like the NIV the New Testament uses the NA/27 greek text. It is a very good translation similar to the NIV in style and translation phlosophy. The publisher, Holman is the publishing arm of the Southern Baptist Convention. The main reason for it's existence is so that the Southern Baptist Convention could own the rights of the translation that they use for their Sunday School materials instead of paying Zondervain corp royalties for using the NIV. This is not a critisism of the HCS translation, it is a good Bible.

The New Jerusalem Bible is also a modern translation, an update of the Jerusalem Bible. The Jerusalem Bible had translation problems, it was an English translation of a French version. However, The New Jerusalem Bible is also a good translation. It is also a Roman Catholic translation and the notes reflect Roman Catholic theology however sometimes it is surprizing how honest the notes are with respect toCathiolic theology not having Biblical justification. It is also interesting because the Old Testament uses Yahweh as the covenant name for God the Father. The unabridged version is the one that has the notes and it is expensive.

The New Revised Standard Bible is the Bible of choice for "Mainline Protestant Demoninations". While not a "liberal" translation per se, it is the first choice for liberals. It is, as the name implies, a revision of the Revised Standard Version. In my humble opinion, a better choice is the English Standard Version but it's not a bad version, let me be clear about that.

Ok, now that I have stated my opinions on previously recommended versions, and please do not misunderstand me they are all good. My favorites in order:

1. The New King James Version

2. The New American Standard Bible

3. The NIV

4. The New Living Translation

5. The English Standard Version

6. The King James Version

For Study Bibles, I like:

1. The MacArthur Study Bible (New American Standard Bible)

2. The NIV Study Bible

3. The ESV Study Bible (If you want the most notes and different opinions stated with all the other bells and whistles, a modern translation and don't mind a Bible that weighs 3/4 of a ton, then this is the best study Bible to get in my opinion).

4. The Ryrie Study Bible (NIV or New American Standard) this is tied with the Scofield.

Remember, I'm been an Evangelical for many years and I have a fairly large collection of Bibles, approx. 100 of them and 30 or more are "Study Bibles". Collect 'em all I say.

Tom

On edit- I forgot to mention the NLT study Bble is also good. To the OP, I would keep your Scofield if I were you.

• snowbird
    snowbird

There is so much good stuff on this thread.

Thanks, Restrangled.

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

By the way, the website www.blueletterbible.org allows you to compare 16 different bible translation passage by passage if you wish, very cool.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit