Does the name Jehovah actually exist in the original Hebrew language?

by Yizuman 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• QuestForThruth
    QuestForThruth

http://www.searchgodsword.org/lex/grk/view.cgi?number=2424

http://www.eliyah.com/yahushua.html

Strong's Greek Dictionary word Ieasous (ee-ay-soos) in the Greek language.

The Arabic name for Jesus used by Christians is Yasu ‘

I see some Ieasous on the net but I can't find where they take it...

ee-ay-soos=y-ay-sus? yeah it can be

but why the "Ia"oue can`t be "Ia"sous when the greek an original english say it to be a yeah?

The English name for the Messiah has even changed over the years. The Oxford Dictionary states that:

In the 1400's (Old English)=His name was Healand*

In the 1500's (Middle English)=His name was Iefus*

In the 1600's (Modern English)=His name was Jesus*

The name of Jesus in Aramaic is Eashoa, Most scholars believe that the historical Jesus primarily spoke Aramaic, with some Hebrew and Greek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramaic_of_Jesus

Another thing see the french bible name...why it can`t greek have influenced the hebrew name?

• La Genèse
    • L’Exode
    • Le Lévitique
    • Les Nombres
    • Le Deutéronome

Les Livres historiques

• Le livre de Josué ????ééé????
    • Le livre des Juges
    • Le livre de Ruth
    • Le premier livre de Samuel
    • Le deuxième livre de Samuel
    • Le premier livre des Rois
    • Le deuxième livre des Rois
    • Le premier livre des Chroniques
    • Le deuxième livre des Chroniques
    • Le livre d’Esdras
    • Le livre de Néhémie ????
    • Le livre de Tobie
    • Le livre de Judith
    • Le livre de Esther
    • Le premier livre des Maccabées
    • Le deuxième livre des Maccabées

Les Livres poétiques et sapientiaux

• Job
    • Les Psaumes
    • Les Proverbes
    • L’Ecclésiaste (ou :Qohélet)
    • Le Cantique des Cantiques
    • La Sagesse de Salomon
    • L’Ecclésiastique (ou :Le Siracide)

Les Livres prophétiques

• Isaïe ????
    • Jérémie ????
    • Les Lamentations
    • Le livre de Baruch
    • Ézéchiel
    • Daniel
    • Osée ????
    • Joël
    • Amos
    • Abdias
    • Jonas
    • Michée ????
    • Nahum
    • Habaquq
    • Sophonie ????
    • Aggée ????
    • Zacharie ????
    • Malachie

Le Nouveau Testament

Les Évangiles et les Actes des Apôtres

• L’Évangile selon saint Matthieu
    • L’Évangile selon saint Marc
    • L’Évangile selon saint Luc
    • L’Évangile selon saint Jean
    • Les Actes des Apôtres

Les Épîtres de saint Paul

• L’épître aux Romains
    • La première épître aux Corinthiens
    • La deuxième épître aux Corinthiens
    • L’épître aux Galates
    • L’épître aux Éphésiens
    • L’épître aux Philippiens
    • L’épître aux Colossiens
    • La première épître aux Thessaloniciens
    • La deuxième épître aux Thessaloniciens
    • La première épître à Timothée
    • La deuxième épître à Timothée
    • L’épître à Tite
    • L’épître à Philémon
    • L’épître aux Hébreux

Les Épîtres catholiques

• L’épître de saint Jacques
    • La première épître de saint Pierre
    • La deuxième épître de saint Pierre
    • La première épître de saint Jean
    • La deuxième épître de saint Jean
    • La troisième épître de saint Jean
    • L’épître de saint Jude ????
    • L’Apocalypse

all the A and IA sound have become É or silent E good job french translator...

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

QFT,

Your chart is misleading because the spelling [y-sh-w-`] it presents as "Aramaic" (as opposed to Hebrew) IS ALSO the prevalent Hebrew spelling in the post-exilic period, as I have shown above.

'Divine name fetishism' is a rather common affliction among ex-JWs, and there is plenty Internet hogwash to feed it as long as it persists (fortunately not very long for most). Homemade English transliterations make things even more confusing to a French reader...

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

I believe that Aramaic is put regarding 250 BC because by then Aramaic was more common than Hebrew by then, no?

We've switched from discussing Jehovah's name, to now Jesus' name, so now I see Narkissos mentioning "divine name fetishism", presumably to return this Topic to its titled theme.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

ST,

Hebrew had already been giving way to Aramaic in the Nehemiah/Ezra period; however the name Yshw` (Yeshua`) is then attested (with the same consonantic spelling) in both Hebrew (Ezra 2:2,6, etc.) and Aramaic (5:2). The older form Yhwsh`is still found after the exile throughout Haggai and Zechariah, and -- as an exceptional archaism -- in even later works, 1 Chronicles 7:27. Eventually both the archaic Hebrew and current Hebrew/Aramaic forms of the name were merged into the Greek Ièsous, although (as you correctly pointed out) Ièsous is the direct transliteration of the latter.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

actually, I didn't use the term transliteration with regards to the Greek form Iesous. What I said was that Iesous is the Greek equivalent to Yeshua`, because of the application of regular phonological laws and the application of Greek declension to the Hebrew name. I use the term transliteration for any word or morpheme which is represented in a script other than the original language. In this post of mine, both "Iesous" and "Yeshua`" are transliterations, since these "referents" are represented in the extended Latin script, not that of the more "authentic" Greek or Hebrew scripts.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Correct. I was using "transliteration" loosely, for a process of Hellenisation halfway between strict "transliteration" (as you define it) and the substitution of an existing Greek name (such as "Jason," Iasôn, which is also found as a rarer equivalent for Yeshua` in Josephus and the epistle of Aristeus for instance).

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

I suggest that the term Narkissos is looking for is "assimilation".

• donny
    donny

While I agree with the point that that Jehovah is not the true pronunciation, I believe this really carries little if any weight in disputing the teachings of the Watchtower Society. Many other denominations use this term and it's found in many hymms. I have never meant anyone who woke up and realized the Society was not Gods sole channel because they discovered that Jehovah is not a correct translation of the tetragrammaton.

Donny

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The WT admits that Jehova is not the correct rendering of YHWH, that Yahweh is "probably" the correct way, we know this from their own website and the book "the name that will endure", they admit they use Jehova because of its popularity and it recognition.

To be truthful, its a mute point for all other then those that still believe that the term "Jehova" is the ONE and ONLY name of God.

Narkissos,

Excellent information as always, thank you.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

PSac means "moot", not "mute"; and "Jehovah", not "Jehova", I think. It must be remembered that a name can have many variant spellings:— Jehovah and Yahweh are but 2 used in English Bible translations I have in my personal collection.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit