Does the name Jehovah actually exist in the original Hebrew language?

by Yizuman 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    In the Hebrew language, the name “Jesus” does not derive from salvation. The Heavenly Father did not leave us without witness’ of this “grave” error. The Greek form of “Jesus” being Iesous, is pronounced “hey-soos” and can be found in the Hebrew writings! Hey-soos is a legitimate Hebrew word! “Jesus” transliterated into Hebrew is “hey-soos”.

The pronunciation "hey-soos" is NOT Hebrew or found in Hebrew. The Aramaic name is Yeshua`. And this pronunciation is almost nothing like our English Gee-zus.

y e sh wa` (laryngeal sound)

vs.

dzhi z e s

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LOL the person who made that webpage doesn't realize that final -s in Greek Iésous is the Greek nominative ending, found quite regularly in names (e.g. Ieremias). The person is as ignorant of Hebrew as Greek. The name Iésous is the Greek rendering of Hebrew yhwsh`(Joshua) and Aramaic/Late Hebrew ysh` (Yeshua), as found throughout the LXX; both spellings are used for Jeshua the first high priest after the Babylonian Exile, whose name is spelled Iésous in the LXX, in Josephus, and in any other reference to him in Greek. Denying that Iésous transliterates yhwsh`/ysh` does not change these facts. It doesn't make Iésous derive from Hebrew h-sws "the horse" which is a completely aberrent name form (can anyone mention any other Hebrew PN that incorporates the definite article?), and unattested in any Hebrew or Aramaic writing. It is funny that since Iésous directly disproves the author's contention that transliteration doesn't introduce anything new (as it contains a Greek grammatical inflection not found in the original Hebrew), the author concludes that the inflection is not an inflection and really represents a consonant found in the Hebrew original!

• freydo
    freydo

I'm not sure what your bottom line is other than that the author is not fluent in Greek and Hebrew, but I don't believe his contention is that nothing new is ever introduced, but rather as a general rule names don't change. Of course there are certain variances in spelling and sound, but the sounds basically stay the same, eg, Ronald and Renaldo. There is a correlation of sound, but none between Yahushua and Jesus or Yahweh and Jehovah. And it obviously does not show honor to an individual by deliberate mispronounciation or refusal to even use their proper names. And I'm not about to argue with the likes of Dr Rotherham. And so whether it's Yahweh or Yahwah of Yahushua or Yeshua, or how much of a scholar you are isn't the issue.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

This all brings to mind Shakespear...

"What is in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet..."

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

If I'm not going to address a human judge or president by personal name (but rather as "your honor" or "Mr. President"), I'll be damned (literally) if I'm going to address the Almighty of the Universe by personal name. How about showing a little respect? I mean, do we even address our human father by his name? Not unless we want a smack on the butt or soap in the mouth, right?

• sacolton
    sacolton

I use "Eternal Father" when I pray to God.

• agonus
    agonus

...sigh...

...do Pastafarians worship the FSM with or without meatballs? This is a CRUCIAL issue here...

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Without meatballs?!? Blasphemy!

And for the record, balrogs do not have literal wings. They are metaphorical.

• freydo
    freydo

We are not talking about traditions of men and their profound ignornance and worse.

John 17: 6

"I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world:"

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

PSAC wrote

Well, it seems to me the IF the writers and law makers of the OT and Old covenant had gotten it right, there would have been no need for Jesus to come into the picture.

Of course if you don't believe in Jesus and his Lordship, then it is a moot point.

I always thought that Jesus had to come because of Adam and Eve.....am I wrong?

dc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit