Does the name Jehovah actually exist in the original Hebrew language?

by Yizuman 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• reniaa
    reniaa

And always the question is, why are we making an issue over pronouncing Jehovah the hebrew way when we use the English version of Jesus that is definitely not pronounced as the original?

Reniaa

• undercover
    undercover
    why are we making an issue over pronouncing Jehovah the hebrew way when we use the English version of Jesus that is definitely not pronounced as the original?

It's the translation...or mis-translation. No one knows how God's name was originally pronounced, so any pronunciation you give it today, Yahweh, Jehovah, Yob or Bob is a guess and a guess only because the original name was mis-translated.

The issue (to me anyway) is that the WT Society made a big deal about being the religion that uses God's personal name and proceeded to market what's known as an incorrect translation as his name. But they knew better, which they admit to in their own literature.

Sidenote: This is the religion that claims to be inspired by God. If they truly are, why can't He give them a clue as to what his real name is?

If your name was Bob and people kept calling you Flob, wouldn't you correct them?

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I have to admit, I'm not sure if that whole post with that speculation about elemental gases and the Tetragrammaton was meant to be satirical.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    Do you say yesus?

Actually the Hebrew name is Yeshua, which means "God Saves" That's the spoken name of Jesus in the Hebrew tongue.

Yiz

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Translation indicates meaning. Transliteration indicates letters of the alphabet. Even exact spelling does not indicate exact pronunciation, as we who use English know. Also, there are a variety of Hebrew dialects, and have been since the days of Jephthah. That's why there was the "shibboleth" test recorded at Judges 12:6. And, even if there had been a "standard" way to pronounce Jehovah's name, like a Queen's English, that too can change, just as the BBC has apparently changed its standard to "Estuary English".

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

This thread has become nonsense; after all, we are talking about what name wandering nomads used for their idea of the dominant god in their pantheon of gods, later seen to be the only god. The early figures in the Bible worshiped El, like their neighbors, as seen from the names used; Beth-el, house of God; Israel, fights with God. YHWH was retrojected onto the history by redactors, who insert YHWH into the life of Moses, stating that who they previously worshiped was YHWH all along.

Why are we obsessing about this? No one knows how it was pronounced, or why they abandoned it. My idea is that once they finally embraced monotheism, they saw no reason to have a name to differentiate him from other gods if there were none. Others have claimed that in Aramaic, the language the jews were exposed to in Babylon, the word for pronounce and profane are quite similar, leading to confusion.

It is irritating for the WT to insult the discontinuance of the name by calling it superstition; the reason give by modern jews is that they do not pronounce it out of deep respect for it, not wanting to profane it. That is hardly superstition.

Jehovah is a brand; it is held onto as evidence by JW's that they alone are right. It is laughable; in all other things, they insist on accuracy, but not when it comes to the pronunciation of YHWH. They maintain the great importance of using a name they know is wrong.

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi midget

you mean it could have been a Bag of wind? lol

Hi spike

you are right, and add to the fact YHWH IS God's name literally so using that in a version of his name does make it his name. Jehovah is a solid name for God refered to firstly by semitic jews and then English, it has the history of usage.

Hi nudercover

you are misleading us. Jws make no secret of the fact they use the English versio of God's name, they will reveal the tetragramation, it's history and how jews wrongly replaced it with Lord out of mistaken superstition nearly 7000 time.

\Reniaa

Reniaa

• cattails
    cattails
    Yahweh is not 2 sylables in Hebrew, it is in fact 4, phonetically speaking: YeYahOuWeh

That's just plain wrong. Do you even realize the nonsense you just spewed?

Good grief!

• cattails
    cattails

why are we making an issue over pronouncing Jehovah the hebrew way when we use the English version of Jesus that is definitely not pronounced as the original?

Exactly! Good point.

• QuestForThruth
    QuestForThruth

Yahudah=Israel

Hebrew to Greek/Latin derived:"UW" will do a "OO" sound in english and in other languages can become a "OU","OW","UI","EW" and even the "W"(double U) alone have become a "OO"

An example that I can done is in French:In France or Quebec the letter W is said to be a double V but in all the world the only one that pronounce the W like a V is the French that got their influence by the German language.

We say a Wagon,they say a Vagon!but in hebrew the V sound have never existed!

another thing is the A-E-I sound...they become inverted in some languages like french and english...you're A sound have a É sound in french and our E sound have become you`re I sound.But even if its like that we pronounce all the actual name the same for the "A-E-I"

Actual: JEHOVAH OR YAHWEH

Latin/Greek Original: IEHOUAH IAOUE

Hebrew Pronounciation: YEHOOAH YAHOOEH (Begin to see the little conflict?before or after?)

The Watchtower admit that YAHWEH is more credible for the name.

But the Hebrew Scholars see some error in the 2 names and new discoveries proove that it can be YAHUWAH(YAHOOAH),in Greek a name that end by A is feminine and the actual messiah name can have be the key for the YHWH name.

Jesus and Joshua same name?

The son name

Greek/Hebrew Actual JESUS OR YESHUA/Y'SHUA

Original Greek to hebrew IESOUS YESHOU (where come from the SOUS sound?)

Joshua orginal Hebrew restored? YAHUWSHUA

Where the Father/Son "JE"YE" come from?

Yahuwah2

Jesus

Jesus2

http://www.thetruth7.org/bible/sacred_scripture.exe

It is wat I presently believe to be the more near of the original and we have a lot of info on the net even on youtube...

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=206&letter=J&search=jehovah

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=52&letter=N&search=yahweh

I do not know and don't want to know about the Kabbalah but one thing that I have see is that YEHUIAH/YEH'OUAH "UI"OU" can have an "OO" sound and they say that its the 33rd angels of blablabla(Mason,Illuminati,Mitreya,Bahá'í,Kaballah,spiritism,book of thot and whatever conspiracy fanatics can like to see )

Sorry for my english I will try to be better in the future if I can

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit