Does the name Jehovah actually exist in the original Hebrew language?

by Yizuman 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Slayerbard
    Slayerbard

my issue isn't with teh name but the lack of reverance they seem to have for it. they toss the name out there willy nilly. Without even the title identifying him as GOD the Almighty.. It's like there talking about the family dog..

Has anyone found that when they pray and Didn't use the name everyother word or at all and was actually respectful. It felt like your prayer was heard for the first time. I had that experience the first time and everytime since.. finally felt close to God and cared about for the first time. Even witnessed my prayers being answered. A kinda of miracle if you will. Anyone else have that happened?

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

I remember an assembly where they told us not to use the term "Dear" when approaching Jah in prayer as it was "too personal".

-BONEZZ

• IwateBuddy
    IwateBuddy

There it is. Now you know the name of God and you can stop debating.

It seems to me that God did not reveal his name to Moses, and he did it for a reason. Moses asked but the answer was what might be called evasive. Where else do we see this kind of evasiveness when a deity is confronted with a direct question about his identity? Jesus! Especially in the Fourth Gospel. Like Father like Son as they say.

As soon as the Isrealites had learned his name they would treat him just like any other deity. This is not what he wants. Instead he started a conversation. He made a promise that he was with his people and would always be there for them. "I am" is the start of a sentence that remained unfinished until Jesus.

On the other hand we all know the name of Jesus but he never seems to have said, "Hello. I'm God but you can call me Jesus." or anything like that. It's kind of a conversation stopper, isn't it? There were any number of people in the first century palming themselves off as gods. Either they were emperors or kings or they were crazies.

No, what God wants is the conversation. He wants us to get to know him over time more and more intimately and then he will reveal his name to us. Look at John 17 - eternal life is knowing him. But look at 17:11 - The Father gave his own name to the Son! The son's name is Jesus so the Father's name is Jesus too. Perhaps we should call the son Jesus Jr.! Now go to Philippians 2:9. "God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name - JESUS!

Now let's finish the conversation begun at the burning bush, "I AM . . . JESUS. I will always be with you. I will send my son of the same name to redeem you. Wait for him.

• agonus
    agonus

"If you're a JW, try using the term Yahweh in talks and/or everyday speech, and see how quickly you are counseled by elders not to do so."

Yeah, I was labeled an "apostate" by the elders for using "Yah Elohim" in an e-mail. I pointed out that their own literature acknowledged "Yahweh" is more accurate than "Jehovah"... not a blip on the ol' radar. Retards.

• freydo
    freydo

Given that all the apostles were Jewish, does it mean that

they all converted to a new religion that began by mispronouncing divine names?

btw - In the original KJV there is no "Jesus".

http://www.eliyah.com/ http://www.yrm.org/qna.htm/ http://yahwehhop.com/id7.html

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Exd&c=6&v=3&t=KJV#conc/3

• freydo
    freydo

"Our Father and Creator has a Name, and His Son and our Saviour bears His Name. We have found out through our studies and the Holy Spirit being our witness that this is true. The Father's Name is Yahweh, His Son's Name is Yahshua. We've heard some people admit, that His Name is Yahweh. But they say it doesn't matter what we call Him. Or that lord and god, el and elohim is His Name. Some believe that jehovah or adonai is the Father's Name. And that jesus is the Son's Name. We will prove that calling the Father any other Name but Yahweh, the Son any other Name but Yahshua, is "a deception of satan." We will first address the words lord or god....By capitalizing god, does not give any more meaning to the title than mighty.......el and elohim are the Hebrew name's for god and gods, el (god) was a canaanite deity, and is the father of all the gods (elohim). You can read more about this deity el, and his son baal in Unger's Bible Dictionary. You can also read about all the other gods and goddess (elohim) and the way they were and are worshipped, but Yahweh is the Ruler (lord) above all rulers and Almighty (god) of all the mighty ones (gods) which covers men and deity....This false name jehovah has been put in to replace Yahweh's True Name. This false name stems from the false name adonai which is a canaanite god, that the Israelites began to use instead of Yahweh's Name, brought in by the priests in fear of profaning the Name of Yahweh (Jer 23:27)...........Yahweh wants us to pronounce His Name in: calling on His Name, living by His Name, worshiping His Name, reverencing His Name, trusting and believing in His Name, using authority in His Name, blessing in His Name, saving in His Name, don't take His Name in vain, don't blaspheme His Name, don't profane His Name, etc.. "But at no time did he tell us, not to call or use His Name, His Name not a title." Here are some scriptures that proves Yahweh wants us to use His Name. (Genesis.4:26, 12:8, 13:4, 16:13, 26:25, Exodus 3:15, 5:23, 9:16, 15:3, 20:7, 33:19, *34:5-6, Leviticus 18:21, 19:12, 20:3, 21:6, 22:2,32, 24:11-16, Numbers 6:27, Deuteronomy 5:11, 6:13, 10:8,20, 14:22, 18:5,7, 18:19-22, 28:10,58, 32:3, Psalms 5:11, 7:17, 8:1,9, 9:2,10, 18:49, 20:5,7, 22:22, 23:3, 25:11, 29:2, 31:3, 33:21, 34:3, 44:5,8,20, 45:17, 48:10, 52:9, 54:1,6, 63:4, 66:2,4, 69:29,36, 72:19, 74:7,10,18 21, 75:1, 76:1, 79:6,9, 80:18, 83:16,18, 86:9,11-12, 89:24, 91:14, 92:1, 96:2,8, 97:12, 99:3, 100:4, 102:21, 103:1, 105:1-12, 106:8,47, 111:9, 113:3, 115:1, 116:4,17, 118:10-12,26, 119:55,132, 124:8, 129:8, 135:1,3,13, 138:2, 139:20, 142:7, 143:11, 145:1-2,21, 148:5,13, 149:3, Proverbs 18:10, 30:*4,9, Isaiah 4:1, 12:4, 18:7, 25:1, 26:13, 29:23, 41:25, 42:8, 43:7, 47:4, 48:1-12, 50:10,51:15, 52:5-6, 56:6, 59:19, 63:12,14,16,19, 64:2,7, 65:1, Jeremiah 3:17, 10:6,16,25, 11:21, 12:16, 14:7,9,14-15,21, 15:16, 16:21, 23:25,27, 25:29, 26:9, 29:21,23, 32:18,34, 33:2, 34:15,16,)............"

http://yahwehhop.com/id7.html

http://www.bibletopics.com/biblestudy/154.htm

El
    Although not as common as Elohim (see below), this is another standard Hebrew term for “god” used for any god (with a small g) as well as for Israel’s monotheistic “God,” with a capital G—as in, “I am God [El] and there is no other” (Isaiah 45:22). The Canaanite high god was also called El, and the Hebrews may have given this deity’s name to their own god.

El Elohê Yisra’el
    The name means “El the God of Israel,” but the KJV and NRSV leave it untranslated. In the Bible it is used only as the name given to a sanctuary: “And he erected there an altar, and called it El-elohe-Israel” (Genesis 33:20, KJV). (See also Elohê Yisra’el and El.)

El Elyon; Elyon
    The Hebrew term elyon means “upper”; El Elyon, “The most high God” (KJV) or “God Most High” (NRSV), is found only in Genesis 14—“and he [Melchizedek of Salem] was the priest of the most high God [El Elyon]” (Genesis 14:18-22, KJV). The short form Elyon, translated “Most High,” appears more frequently. Both names were originally associated with the Canaanite high god El. But the names clearly came to be used for Yahweh, as is apparent in Psalm 7:17: “ will sing praise to the name of the LORD [Yahweh], the Most High [Elyon]” (Psalm 7:17, NRSV).

John 17:3-5,6 - "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God......"

Lexicon Results
    Strong's G2316 - theos
    θε?ς

Root Word (Etymology)

Of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with ? (G3588)) the supreme Divinity

Outline of Biblical Usage

1) a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities

2) the Godhead, trinity

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2316&t=KJV

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Here is the thing and we have to try and stay within the scriptures with this, When Jesus tuahg how to pray and that was the only time he did, he said to pray to Our Father and did not use any name, at all.

Even in the oldest of NT manuscripts you will NOT find God's name outside of "hallelujah" or Halleluyah if you prefer.

IF indeed using Gods personal name was THAT crucial you woudl think that Jesus, his ONLY Son, would have made it a crucial point and so would his direct apostles and yet, nothing in Paul's, Peter's, John's, Matthew's, Jude' of James' writings.

We do have the mention of Jesus' name being above all names, and that Jesus name and no other is where there is salavation and to be witnesses for Jesus.

• freydo
    freydo

"When Jesus tuahg" ?

He is also purported to have said to pray in a closet. Matt 6:6

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

LMAO !!
    Typo dude, "...when Jesus TAUGHT..."

• freydo
    freydo

It seems to me that thinking people would examine the foundation of what they think they understand about their faith or lack thereof. Is that foundation a few sentences from documents of Paul, of which we only have copies and that were penned several decades after the fact as well as statements taken out of context in other areas or is it rooted in the established and well documented writings of acknowledged prophets that go back to the days of the Exodus that were epitomized by Yahushua and the early Christians, all of whom were Jewish? Those few Pauline sentences appear to contradict everything that went before them and do not address the errors of Israelites involving adoption of demonic and paganistic deceptions that became part of their tradition which led to their being scattered to the four winds and have not been corrected, even though they have been restored to a degree to their inheritance, and likewise adopted to a large extent by people who call themselves “Christians” but do not practice what the Law, the Prophets or Yahushua taught and practiced.

Matt 15:6-9 ".....Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
    Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." KJV

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit