Dreaming of retiring in Florida?

by restrangled 37 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Restrangled..He`s doing well and peeing his little heart out!!..LOL!!

I put a fan on my dog if it gets too hot..We have desert conditions here in the summer..Huskys have thick coats..

If your dog digs a hole to find cool dirt..Fill the hole with water every morning..He`ll stick to that one hole and won`t dig more holes..

.........................................OUTLAW

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

You forgot to mention that the mosquitoes are so thick you have to carry an electric mosquito swatter just to clear a path in front of you once you step outside!

• parakeet
    parakeet

mrsjones: Too hot and humid...I prefer California

California: Earthquakes, scorpions, rattlesnakes, Arnold.

Try Pennsylvania. Four seasons, spectacular autumns, Amish farmland, Appalachian Mountains, whitetail deer everywhere.

• PEC
    PEC

Don't forget the deer flies. I am staying in SoCal.

Philip

• parakeet
    parakeet

Philip: Don't forget the deer flies. I am staying in SoCal.

Just spray on some insect repellent. Last I heard, there's no earthquake repellent.

• PEC
    PEC

Earthquakes are overrated.

Philip

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't have all the answers, but I am happy to read and learn from others.
    I may not retire to Florida, but it could happen. Here's somethings I have learned.

DO NOT HAVE A POOL. You are right about the cost, and most retired folk rarely use their own pool. The park has a great pool, and most retired people wouldn't go there either.

Air conditioning- I need to learn to do without wherever I retire. Air conditioning is great for a few months a year, perhaps as much as half the year, but the rest of the time, I have to learn to accept the temperature and humidity. I know the Gulf coast is not so bad most of the year as far south as Tampa, but it's still a wee bit cold in the winter. Jackets in the house can deal with much of that. I might retire to the Virgin Islands where I already know I can tolerate the weather without AC for 3 out of 4 seasons. The humidity is not too bad and the weather is milder. But there's those pesky hurricanes to deal with. Weather, heating and cooling costs are tough no matter where you go.

While I am not a big fan of condos, I might consider just accepting the fees that come with them and skip all the fighting against roof problems, fire ant problems, etc. Sure, they have to be dealt with, but it would just be part of the built-in costs.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

My daughter has been in southwest Florida for 8 years now and would never think about coming back north to Pennsylvania. She absolutely loves it and is always after me to move there now that I'm retired. I've visited enough to know that I could never live there in the summer and be a prisoner of a dwelling just for the sake of air conditioning. Not to mention the traffic!

HappyDad

• beksbks
    beksbks

I could never live in a condo. I need some nature around me, and the choice to plant a garden and be outside in serenity.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I could never live in California. I need to be able to walk down streets without being visually molested by weirdos.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit