Dreaming of retiring in Florida?

by restrangled 37 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Too hot and humid...I prefer California

• restrangled
    restrangled

Yes Satunus....same in Orlando...unless you live there. Do you own a home in Miami?....Do you know how much bug spray goes down in those hotels? Probably enough to kill a small child if they got near it.....and don't think those Palmettos aren't in your hotel room, They only come out at night and eat soap, toothpaste, and make up.

If you don't clean absolutely every surface at night in your kitchen, you are guranteed monsters on your counters in the middle of the night.

r.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Come to Cali R, it's nearly perfect all the time. As an added bonus, you may come across a Californian now and then.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Beks,....if only!!!!!!!!....we're stuck for a few years yet.

r.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Josie and I will be sitting by the pool sipping Margaritas, waiting for you!

• poppers
    poppers

I have a childhood friend who retired there about a year ago. He loves it. Too hot and humid for me though. I haven't heard anything from him about the bugs - yet.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Beks, please save me a lawn chair .....

r.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The grasshoppers here,are too fat to hop this year!!..LOL!!..They walk everywhere..It looks frigg`n stupid!..

.....................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Well Jd....lets consider the following:
    The New Trane system was custom done for our home with a 5 inch filter system added on, which costs a pretty penny in filters every year due to the size.. This was a custom built home in 1980, and if your think I am going to replace 10....6x5 foot windows plus all the others you are out of your mind...single pane but covered in wood blinds to block heat or let in Sun depending on the season. None facing west or south. I have a 100 year old oak and 19 foot bamboo that shades the entire back of the house.
    All that hangs over the pool,....the filter runs 15 hours a day to keep the pool clean.
    The foilage makes extra work, but keeps the entire back yard 10 to 20 degrees cooler in the summer than anywhere else in the yard. It also protects a huge wood deck around the pool. the portions exposed to the sun have to be replaced after a couple of years, the portions in the shade look brand new after 5 years.
    That foilage also invites the bugs, the beautiful deck invites wild animals to nest under it, which invites my dog to destroy the hell out of the wood trying to get at them.....there is no easy answer.
    r.

Sounds like you're doing some good things. However, you're throwing a lot of money down the drain every month with single pain windows. 6x5 foot windows are huge to begin with. You can offset a lot of this by using celular blinds. They have a honey combed shape that acts as insulation. It's not as good as efficient windows, but it will help.

Trane makes a good system, but they pale in comparison with a hydro earth coupled heat pump. You can easily cut your cooling bill in half if you have one.

Sure Also, what r value is your insulation? Spraying insulation into your attic is a quick way to help insulate your house. Also, having a powered attic ventilation system is a good idea. In the summer, attics get very hot. In fact, years ago when I was in construction I left a plastic tape measure in an attic while we went to lunch. It was in the upper 90's that day. The tape measure was melted and soft when we got back. I don't know how hot it was, but it had to be approaching the boiling point up there.

Not to be an arse R, but you're using a lot of inefficient technologies and blaming it on Florida. Truth is, you could be saving a lot of money by using readily available technology.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Outlaw, good to see you posting... How are you and Dante doing? Neither one of you would want to be in Fla.....

Glad you are in dry cool air. My dog can't cool off tonight.....typical Florida heat and humidity. The panting is non stop, even as I put my Dog down on a cool leather couch in air conditioning.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit