Dreaming of retiring in Florida?

by restrangled 37 Replies latest jw friends

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

my mom and step dad cannot sell their house up in Dania.... they retired and moved to Ozark, AL... just enough to so my step dad doesn't have to learn Spanish (his words not mine...lol).... they could have gotten $200K five years ago... now they struggle to even attract $100K..... if they sell he will still pull $50K in equity out...

but no kidding about yard work, etc. I will NEVER move to florida, and especially SOUTH florida. Not even sure if I will visit there again.

Personally, I like having four seasons...though here in the midwest, we seem to jump from summer to winter quickly in recent years.

Snakes ()

• beksbks
    beksbks

No worries Doe, I'm pretty sure you are in no danger of being visually molested in California.

• John Doe
    John Doe

No worries Doe, I'm pretty sure you are in no danger of being visually molested in California.

I'm not taking any chances.

• exjdub
    exjdub
    The cool dry air, it's temperate......and has the seasons.....what I wouldn't give!!!!!!

restrangled,

I start feeling that way around July down here and crave the cool New England air every summer. But then we go up there for a visit and remember why we moved away in the first place.

Have you thought about moving from Seminole County to Volusia (New Smyrna Beach)? It made a difference to us when we left Orlando. 7 years in NSB has changed our outlook about Florida quite a bit. Orlando just has way too much traffic and noise now...

exjdub

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

That's one of the reasons I moved back to Massachusetts. Lived in Orlando for over 20 years.... hated it.

Coffee

• Mary
    Mary

Neem oil is a good insect repellent as is oil of lemon eucalyptus. As for the ants, try this: Grind up black pepper and crush it into powder. Spread it where they are seen, esp. on their trails in and out - bottom of doors, along windows, etc. Takes about a day or two, but the black ants will go away. Have faith. They track it around on their feet and they don't like it. Breaks their scent trail, I figure. Maybe cayenne would work too, but I haven't tried it - might be fun to try that on "red" ants sometime. Just powdered pepper - you don't need anything else. Clean it up in a week or two. They usually don't come back anytime soon.

Do you have any eucalyptus plants? Might be worth it to plant some. Here's another couple of links you may find interesting:

http://www.mosquito-zapper.com/Mosquito_power_trap.htm

http://memphis.bizjournals.com/memphis/stories/2006/05/15/focus2.html?jst=cn_cn_lk

As for it being hot and humid in Florida, I can sympathize. The last several summers here in Southern Ontario have been boiling hot, humid as hell and so full of smog that you can barely breathe. The pollution comes down from the nickel mines in Sudbury, across from Michigan and up from Texas and congregates over the Great Lakes. The pollution picks up on the water particals and dumps all kinds of crap over us. Last year I read that 9500 people here will die each year simply because of the "toxic soup" mix. This year so far has been the exception. It's been very rainy and cool this year.

Florida might not look so bad (except for the snakes) when you're faced with shit weather like this for 6 months out of the year:

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Lived there one year and couldn't wait for my lease to be up so I could get the heck out of there. Disney is not a good representative of what Florida is really like.

Now, happy in Northern GA!

Outaservice

• Waffles
    Waffles

Florida is too humid, and there's too many old people driving 10 mph below the speed limit in the fast lane.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit