wide ... broad... life.....death

by KAYTEE 80 Replies latest jw friends

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

This is an interesting pair of questions, lurk3r. The only relevant statement that I see is at Genesis 3:24 where the characterisation is that the sword "was turning itself continually to guard the way to the tree of life" [bolding mine], thus I understand that "the cherubs and and the flaming blade of a sword" were prohibiting either Adam or Eve from partaking of that tree of life. This is the first sword the scriptures speak of, and the only time that could apply to Adam and Eve. The next scriptural reference to a sword is found at Genesis 27:40, which is in relation to Esau.

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

were prohibiting either Adam or Eve from partaking of that tree of life.

Thank you Spike. How in the world would Adam and Eve know what a sword was?

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Just as they came up with names for the animals and the trees, etc.; in like manner, they came up with a name for what we are referring to as a sword.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

ST: As you have referred elsewhere to your familiarity with various languages, you might give some thinking to the following question: what is required for the construction of any language (including Hebrew!) which is not only made of "names" but syntaxical structure? Hint: a relatively isolated social group of humans gradually building a particular culture along with a particular set of techniques within a particular geographical environment over many generations.

Even the simple level of dialogue in the Genesis Eden story (not only by man and woman, but by Yhwh and the serpent!) implies a pretty developed civilisation -- including the capacity for creating fictions. The "sword" is just the tip of the iceberg.

Can you tell a tale?

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

Spike - I was not intentionally baiting you here btw...but how in names sake would a sword mean anything to Adam and Eve? Sure they gave it a name..kust like the rest of creation, but why would a sword be created or referred to in the first place? Its just Adam and Eve. No war - just Paradise.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

The war against sin was just beginning. War requires swords, even the Bible.

• reniaa
    reniaa

Hi Narkissos

Adam and Eve didn't write exodus historially this is attributed to Moses who easily knew what a sword was and with the angels themselves using a sword type thing to guard the way to the garden of eden then Moses used a word under inspiration that described it in his language. adam and even knowing what it was that blocked them really isn't the issue. this is third party point of view from a person watching or being shown.

Reniaa

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

Genesis 4 22 indicates that Tubal-Cain forged tools out of bronze and iron. This would indicate a certain level of technology to be present. This while Adam was still on the earth?

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

And the tools made from bronze and iron could well have included swords, I suggest. Violence, even murderous jealousy, was already apparent.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

reniaa,

I didn't bring up the "sword" issue, lurk3r did. My point (ignored so far) was, more basically, about the fact (and level) of language (hence culture and civilisation) implied by the (poetical!) dialogue in the Eden story. It is not just about the technical referent of individual words -- although the question about the "sword" was relevant, and it would apply to a number of other words in the dialogue as well; for instance, how in Eden could "Adam" know what bread (as opposed to fruit food) would be? (Check out where bread appears in human [pre-]history and all the previous technical stages it implies.) When you think of it, having the first man and woman talk, listen and answer as they do is little less fantastic than having a snake do it...

It is a tale which developed in a pretty civilised context (and I spare you the earlier literary parallels it may have used). You can believe it is the tale God inspired and wanted all right, but don't think it is by any means an account of what "really happened".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit