• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Colder than a well diggers butt..

• megs
    megs

uh, thanks... always nice to know when you're an annoyance

• snowbird
    snowbird
    using "continual" and "continuous" synonymously [elicits more concern over ambiguity than irritation]
    CoCo

Dear Coco,

Are you sure I didn't sit behind you in Language Arts, Camden Academy, Wilcox County Alabama, Miss Zelma Hines presiding?

“Continuous” refers to actions which are uninterrupted: “My upstairs neighbor played his stereo continuously from 6:00 PM to 3:30 AM.” Continual actions, however, need not be uninterrupted, only repeated: “My father continually urges me to get a job.”

I log on to JWN in the am and post continuously, though my boss's baleful stare continually urges me to cease and desist.

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

"If you don't start cutting the muster, you'll never catch up, and I know you don't relish being in a pickle."

[compound-complex sentence]

Anonycoco

• compound complex
    compound complex

Snowbird:

Please check your PMs ...

Thanks!

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird

Coco,

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Colder than a well diggers butt..

My dad liked that one. I prefer, colder than a witch's titty in a brass bra.

• dig692
    dig692

Saying "supposively" rather than supposedly

Saying "for all intensive purposes" rather than for all intents and purposes

The phrase "from soups to nuts" I could do without

And when people use the words "too", "also", and "as well" all in the same sentence in their comments. For example, sister over-zealous just made a comment that going out in field service is the mark of a true christian..and then brother has-to-make-a-comment-every-paragraph says "and too, also, loving our neighbor marks us as true christains, as well"

GRRR!

• Denial
    Denial

over the past couple of years, i've noticed a word that has been become fashionable to abuse: "literally". people seem to use it as an intensifier or to add emphasis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit