phrases that annoy you

by John Doe 80 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

You were using the word as a transitive verb. According to Merriam Webster, "effect" as a transitive verb has the following definitions:

Main Entry:
    2 effect
    Function:
    transitive verb
    Date:

1 : to cause to come into being 2 a : to bring about often by surmounting obstacles :accomplish <effect a settlement of a dispute> b : to put into operation <the duty of the legislature to effect the will of the citizens>

Now, here is "affect" as a transitive verb:

Main Entry:
    3 affect
    Function:
    transitive verb
    Etymology:
    Middle English, from affectus, past participle of afficere
    Date:
    15th century
    : to produce an effect upon: as a : to produce a material influence upon or alteration in <paralysis affected his limbs> b : to act upon (as a person or a person's mind or feelings) so as to effect a response :influence usage see effect So, you tell me, which definition fits?
  • AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Doe, do you have a job, or are you sentenced to 16 years in your parents basement?

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Doe, do you have a job, or are you sentenced to 16 years in your parents basement?

Are you really asking?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Are you really asking?

Nah, not really. The mystery is sexy and all....

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

My choice of the word effect had the desired affect, so it was the correct word for the situation. If you go back and read between the lines you may see the error of you're weighs.

pseudo

I'm just pulling your chain.

I won't apologize, I'm sorry but, that's just the way I'm maid.

• megs
    megs

Girls who cannot complete a sentence without inserting the word "like" 5 times... "So, I was going to the mall, and I like saw John, and he looked soooo cool, I was like at a total loss for words, and you know, like, he is pretty cool, so I didn't want to like, say the wrong thing". Just shoot me already...

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Nah, not really.

I didn't think so.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    I didn't think so.

I thought better of it. The thought made me throw up a little bit in my mouth....

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I want to apologize to Doe. Just trying to be funny. I was actually enjoying this thread. Carry on!

• John Doe
    John Doe

No problem Jeff. And I was doing so well--hadn't corrected any grammar in over a year. Sometimes I can't help myself. lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit