Candy To A Jehovahs Witness: Anti - Depressants.

by shamus100 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Nope! I didn't even have any SAD this past winter.

But I might consider going back on an SSRI if I was facing anything traumatic that would cause a major bout of depression. And with that, it wouldn't be just a matter of getting a pill to make me happy. It really didn't work that way for me before. As the doctor had helped me understand on the medication side, it helped to settle irrational anxiety, helped me get a good night's sleep, helped me concentrate and think clearly without a gloomy, dark fog clouding my vision. Then, once the problems are worked through and the seas are calm, I'd reduce the dosage back to zero.

Sadly, I know several dubs that will keep popping the same pills until the big A.

B the X

• shamus100
    shamus100

Congrats on not needing them!

I guess all that gnashing of the teeth just isn't true - maybe satan is making you happy.

• Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

I became depressed while a dub, but went to counciling. I was pushed to take AD's but refused. I was sent to the Psychiatrist for him to talk me into it. He agreed with me , I could still function to do what I needed to do & was not a threat to myself or anyone. The DR. told me it would be hard but I would get better quicker without the meds. It can take years or never depending on how much a person is on, even with counciling.His opinion was to not take ADs if you could get along without them.So back to counciling I went. I had group & private counciling. I made quick progress without the meds. During that time I began to spot "the look" of the medicated, & run into many brothers & sisters at the clinic.There were elders on the stuff, several brothers, & 1/3 the sisters in the 3 congregations in our area.No one else did I find getting counciling, just medication checks.This was over 10 years ago, I can't think it's better now.

BF

• shamus100
    shamus100

Hi BF,

I'm glad that you found a doctor that steered you in the right direction. Let me assure you, you did not want to be on that shit. It's like being the living dead - sleep all the time; it sucked.

It isn't that better, and I can't help but wonder why normal dubs cannot see the drugged up drones in they're congregations! They are not all like that, but I have yet to see so many people on that crap just to make they're religion work for them.

The constant berating at the meetings and keeping the old low self-esteem in check pushes people down. And I don't blame them - you can never do enough.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

To me, psychiatric drugs should only be used short term (except in exceptional conditions where a proven medical condition exists and the drugs are to offset that, and nutrition has failed). A proper use of an antidepressant would be to get an apathetic person to care long enough so that something good can get through, and the drug would possibly only be used for a few hours at a time. A proper use of tranquilizers is to get through anxiety that is creating an impasse, preventing the person from doing what is necessary (like taking a pill before getting in a social situation that is going to create unwarranted apprehension). The goal is to lower the barrier just enough to clear it, not to rely on these pills long term.

Yes, properly used, alcohol is the safest of these drugs. A small dose of alcohol could, if properly timed, help a person when things are getting so stressful that they would otherwise wuss out or choke. The goal is merely to get past that impasse, not to totally eliminate the anxiety. As the person gets better at navigating the situation, the drugs become of less and less use until they are no longer needed at all. This could be useful, for instance, if a person is deathly afraid of spiders--a small dose of a tranquilizer just before seeing the spider might allow the patient to tolerate it instead of wussing out or freaking out totally.

The witlesses, on the other hand, are continually exposed to rules that create these problems. They never have any fun. There is nothing to celebrate or to set one day off from another. There is continual pressure to go out in field circus, and then the hounders are critical of everything they do at the doors. Under those conditions, it is more important to remove the religion than to take medication--though a small dose of a short-acting tranquilizer might give a person just enough help to get the nerve to miss a boasting session, skip field circus, or join that apostate board instead of "thinking about it" or dreading it.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Totting up all the people I personally KNOW to be (or have been) on long term medication for 'mental problems', I can only think of one NON JW, compared to 9 JWs.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Shamus,

For me, before I got help I looked like the living dead... or felt like the living dead. In my limited experience, the drugged up dubs looked better than the untreated depressed, waiting for the delayed paradise. It's all sad, the emotional captivity in a cult.

Looking back, two things stand out as being major contributors to my depression. The beliefs were a big thing, particularly putting life on hold for thirty year, in expectation that the big A was coming in just a few more weeks... or maybe not for another thirty. Perhaps the worst thing was having this inner misery but having to keep up the appearance of being a happy, shiny, servant of Hojovah. That was emotionally exhausting and left me feeling more depressed behind the facade.

B the X

• shamus100
    shamus100

Perhaps the worst thing was having this inner misery but having to keep up the appearance of being a happy, shiny, servant of Hojovah.

What a typical dub just cannot get they're brain-dead heads around why they are so depressed. Five meetings, er, um, four meetings a week, field service, study for meetings, being perfect... it wears on you after a while. How in the hell can you stay happy in that environment? You cannot be happy - it's just impossible.

It's hard to understand how brain-dead you really become unless you get on them. Thank god I'm off them! Really, I think it was more circumstance that lead me to my life of depression, and wanting an impossible dream to become a reality.

Free your mind or take AD's - it's mostly your choice.

• m.seagull
    m.seagull

broad brushes for sale, anyone? i know about 3 jehovah's witnesses, none of them are on medications, but as i mentioned outside of my family i haven't known jws for over 20 years. i know a slew of non-religious people who take medication daily. i work in the mental health field so of course the odds are greater there.

anyhow.

Yes, properly used, alcohol is the safest of these drugs.

you're kidding right?

This could be useful, for instance, if a person is deathly afraid of spiders--a small dose of a tranquilizer just before seeing the spider might allow the patient to tolerate it instead of wussing out or freaking out totally.

actually many studies point to exposure therapy without the use of sedatives/tranqs/benzos to be the most useful. masking the fear with a substance often does nothing for the person when confronted with the same situation sans drugs.

• shamus100
    shamus100

broad brushes aside,

In the dub religion, more people than I have ever known in my entire life are on AD's. AD's have uses, but they are overprescribed. Some people require them for the rest of theyre lives, but the percentages are far far higher in the dub religion, at least in my region of the world. Medical studies proving this? No. But you would have to be brain-dead not to notice it.

m.seagull, it would be interesting if one day hard data could be analyzed, but that is an impossiblity for now. Even if you were able to prove that more dubs were on AD's and present the hard evidence to them, there would still be some stupid spin on it like "oh, it just proves that Satan persecutes us so badly".

And that is a fact.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit