Candy To A Jehovahs Witness: Anti - Depressants.

by shamus100 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    Sadly its mostly female JWS that seek attention for depression and anxiety related to the JWS more than men,
    one obvious reason being that woman are deliberately put down and second classed by the authoritative men in the religion.
    Woman are muzzeled and kept into subjection to the males orcustrated of course by the holy rules.

At least 10 women my former cong were on anti-depressants. The past year there are now a few men I have heard also on the same train....

5 or 6 of these women have moved on to fibromyalga....

h4o

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I also work for a doctor and the majority of Witnesses who are patients are on AD's, it's true.

I am the only female in my family NOT on anti-depressants, and the only one not active....

People would ask me sometimes what my mother's health issues were and I would say, "Well, what was on Oprah this week???"

• reniaa
    reniaa

Some facts and figures about depression

Race or ethnicity does not influence the prevalence of depression.

http://www.searo.who.int/en/Section1174/Section1199/Section1567/Section1826_8101.htm

• shamus100
    shamus100

After being on AD's, I can usually spot those people six miles away - not always but most of the time.

They seem more out of it, so to speak. The sad fact is it can affect your short-term memory for years after you're off the shit. And believe me, it is shit. Seeking help from a qualified counsellor is the better way to go - really think things through if you are being pressured to take them. IT's far easier for a doctor to give you meds and be rid of you, rather than actually treat your condition.

The whole world is looking for the one-pill wonder, and it's a real shame that people succumb to taking unnecessary medications or drugs. And yes, that includes medicating yourself with alcohol. Studies have shown that people are over-medicated time and time again. And one only needs to look at Paxil to see the side effects of these powerful medications.

We all have our vices - we need to help each other overcome them, if need be. Don't trade alcohol for AD's without a second opinion is all that I am saying.

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

My wife is on AD's and has been since before she even studied w/JWs. I agree that JW's are discouraged from getting real help from a counselor or therapist, but many people need the meds to function at all. I do think it is rare that a true chemical/genetic depression exists with needed lifelong meds. Meds are way over pre-scribed, but not always unnecessary. My wife has a therapist she's gone to for over 15 years and that has been a key to her coping with issues and finding real healing. I agree with your doctor that meds without counseling is stupid.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Thanks for that fact Reniaa. In my congregation there are more than 15% on anti-depressants, and that's just the ones I know about.

Interesting.

• shamus100
    shamus100

allelsefails,

I could not agree with you more.

It seems as though your wife is on the right track. Some people do need meds to get over they're chemical imbalance, but many reasons why they are imbalanced is because of negative thought patterns caused by outside stimuli. Remove the stimuli and often times the depression fades. Obviously your wife is taking the correct approach by attacking this disorder with counselling too - kudos for her!

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Religion is neither a race nor an ethnicity Ren.

Being in a controlling cult that threatens to take your family and loved ones away from you and OSTRACIZE YOU if you dare to question or leave, CAUSES DEPRESSION.

There were so many JWs on medication, both prescribed and self prescribed homeopathic stuff, to try to FIX the gaping holes in their hearts, and to try to deaden their sorrow and feelings that they are wasting their lives as JWs and are TRAPPED, that if you werent on some kind of medication then you were lying about it or you were just crazy and clueless anyway. Even the PO was an alcoholic. How joyful was HIS life that he had to get shit faced before he could bring himself to go to meetings?

• reniaa
    reniaa

and your proof outside of personal opinion and generalising?

• shamus100
    shamus100

WuzLovesDubs, Mickey,

If you're going to talk with Reinna, then go to another thread please and thank you.

Wuzloves, it's obvious to anyone who isn't mildly retarded that religion isn't covered in those studies, and probably never will. We only have opinions to go on, and you've made yours with Reinna.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit