weight loss

by John Doe 31 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

How fast is too fast? I decided I'm tired of being overweight last week, so I went on a diet and started exercising. I'm eating anywhere from 1,200 to 1,700 calories per day. In the last week and a half, I've lost 12 pounds. I'm averaging 1 1/2 pounds per day. I'm already feeling better--sleeping better and having more energy. The odd thing is, the further I go, the less I want to eat. I ran out of gas today, and had to walk a couple of miles through heavy traffic. I didn't even get out of breath. I'm taking daily multi vitamins.

My question is, how fast is too fast? What is sustainable? What are your experiences?

• cognac
    cognac

I lost 34 pounds in 6 days!!! (Of course, I had a baby...)

• Nowman
    Nowman

John Doe-

It really depends on how overwieght you are. You may have lost 12 lbs in one week because you are doing what you are doing (most likely you have lost water weight, this always goes the fastest in the beginning), which is great...if you continue do this, you will not keep losing 12 lbs in 1 week, you will eventually level off, and perhaps get to a plateau.

Just remember if you excersize regularly, you need to eat...but for now, you seem OK.

Eventually when you get to the weight you want to be at, and you are still exercising...you may want to increase your calorie intake...since you are burning off calories excersing...

Congrats...I think you are doing great!

I too started regularly exercising 1/1/08, and I have never felt better in my life, it is good for the mind, body, soul, and spirit. There is no religious reference in that statement on my part.

Nikki

• beksbks
    beksbks

Doe, I'd say that is way too fast. One thing about weight lost, if it's lost very quickly, you are losing muscle which is no good at all, and it comes back even easier. Slow and steady really does win this race. Do some weight lifting too. The more muscle you have on your body, the more calories you will burn even at rest. I'm sure if you are eating that few calories, your stomach has shrunk, and you aren't hungry. But I'd say keep it up in the 1800-2000 area, and exercise. That's the key.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Doe, I'd say that is way too fast. One thing about weight lost, if it's lost very quickly, you are losing muscle which is no good at all, and it comes back even easier.

To tell the truth, I've never had a shortage of muscle, and I don't care if I lose some. ;-) That is assuming, of course, that there are no detrimental side effects.

To give you an idea of the scale we're talking, I'm 5' 7" tall. Last week, I weighed 262 pounds. I'm now a shade under 250. According to the charts, anything over 185 is obese for my height. This doesn't jive with my build, however. In fact, a doctor I used to have told me I should weigh 190. Just for reference, I was 230 pounds in this picture.

As you can see, 12 pounds is not a large percentage of my weight.

I share your concern that I may be losing too much too fast. But, with the increased energy I'm feeling, it's almost addictive. Frame of mind is 95% of the battle, I think. I'll let you all know where I am in a week.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Will we get a picture too?

• snowbird
    snowbird

So the gadfly of JWN has a weight problem?

Who would have thought it?

That explains this until-now-undecipherable statement:

John DoeRe: I don't want to go to work! posted about a month ago (5/15/2009)
    Post 9189 of 10150
    Since 4/11/2005

Yes. If I don't shower, with the work and sweating I do, I would get a rash where my legs rub together if I didn't shower every day.

Tee hee hee.

Seriously, I admire your efforts.

I'm doing it slowly but surely - no charts, no special diets, just old-fashioned horse sense.

Things are looking good for me. I have a doctor's appt on 7-6-09; I think he will be pleasantly surprised.

Sylvia

• John Doe
  • beksbks
    beksbks

You're not listening deary, there is a detrimental side effect.

The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn even when you are sitting on your duff. You do not want to lose any muscle. Then what have you got? Useless fat, even though you may weigh less. It becomes a vicious cycle. It's a hell of a lot easier to lose muscle than it is to build it. Muscle is also much denser than fat, you can weigh less, but if it's fat you'll be bigger.

Just being slightly hungry can make you feel much better and less sluggish, so I don't doubt that you feel good. But frankly it won't last, and neither will the extreme loss rate.

Hey don't listen to me though, read up on it.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, John Doe:

Well over 20 years ago I went on a so-called cleansing fast and lost 20 pounds in one week. A pound for a year, a pound for a year. I had no idea what I was doing, eschewing all solid foods. My stature and such is almost identical to yours. Just got off the scale (no knowledge of this thread yet) and I weighed in at 185. I was shocked senseless on Monday when I got onto a client's bathroom scale and read 199.5. Of course, I was fully clad then, which I was not ten minutes ago on my own pese-poids. I haven't a clue as to which scale is the more accurate.

I walk one to two hours a day. It's uphill both ways, so my asthma gets a workout; however, as with you, breathing becomes far easier the more I get active. My downfall food-wise is mayonnaise. I ran out - good/bad - and probably will stick with my good fats, like fish oils and extra virgin olive oil. Also, I've given up bovine dairy - - and am going to try goat products (??????). I'm a middle-earther ethnically, so maybe the goat-switch will fit into my scenery and fridge. Que sera sera!

It's a losing battle mentally and emotionally, if, like me, you aren't losing. IMHO.

CoCo Puffy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit