Wanted: JW apologist to explain how the GB gets its messeges from Jesus the King

by Mad Dawg 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

I always wondered this as a jw but never got a straight answer and I asked GB members directly.

Pretty much it was

1) Prayer

2) Reading the scriptures

3) Discussion with other mature brothers (in this case GB members)

4) Prayer

5) Somehow it would come to them and it would be unanimous (definition meaning that those with the minority vote would give in to the majority--2/3 majority required to pass--per Ray Franz)

Here's the basis of the statements to me (just reporting not supporting).

*** w77 3/1 pp. 156-157 pars. 12-16 Congregation Elders—"Preside in a Fine Way"! ***We can learn much about the value of humility and the factors that serve to resolve disputes by considering what happened at a meeting of apostles and older men in the first century. The record is found in Acts chapter 15. It was at Antioch in Syria that Paul and Barnabas "had been entrusted to the undeserved kindness of God for the work they had fully performed." (Acts 14:26) But on returning there from that first missionary journey, they encountered a problem: "Certain men came down from Judea and began to teach the brothers: ‘Unless you get circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.’ But when there had occurred no little dissension and disputing by Paul and Barnabas with them, they arranged for Paul and Barnabas and some others of them to go up to the apostles and older men in Jerusalem regarding this dispute." (Acts 15:1, 2) Here was a major doctrinal matter causing considerable disturbance to the brothers. It had to be resolved.

Appropriately, the problem was brought to the attention of the responsible elders at Jerusalem. The Bible record tells us what took place. Though there were differences of viewpoint initially, they finally reached "unanimous accord." (Acts 15:25) But in view of what Acts 15:7 says, was there not "much disputing" at the meeting? The Greek term for "disputing" is related to the verb meaning "to seek" (KingdomInterlinearTranslation); it thus indicates that to find the truth, or the best manner of doing something, diligent effort is required in searching out a matter—questioning, discussing things and thus arriving at a right conclusion. With this thought in mind we can read the account with interest, noting how developments were guided by holy spirit.

After "much disputing," Peter related his experience in being used by Jehovah to open the way for Gentiles to hear the good news. He raised a question as to whether it was reasonable to impose burdens on such Gentile believers since it is God’s undeserved kindness through Jesus Christ that makes salvation possible. Next, note the respectful silence mentioned in verse twelve as Paul and Barnabas added their testimony. These traveling apostles ("sent forth ones" from the Antioch congregation) had received evidence of God’s blessing by "many signs and portents" as they preached among the nations. This supported Peter’s recommendation of what should be done.—Acts 15:7-12.

Then James requested to be heard. He drew on the words of the prophets, such as at Amos 9:11, 12, which agreed with what Peter had related and confirmed what God’s spirit had accomplished through Paul and Barnabas. James thus had the support of the Scriptures and backing of God’s spirit for his decision. From that strong position he proposed that they write to those believers from the nations who were turning to God, telling them what God’s requirements really were for them. The apostles and older men had come to a unanimous accord. A controversial matter had been resolved in all humility.—Acts 15:13-29.

If "unanimous accord" is not possible in a body of elders, one with a different view should not take exception to what has been decided by showing a spirit of animosity. He will want to continue to "work hard" with the whole body. The congregation will thus retain confidence in them, knowing that all are working in unity. Walking with "complete lowliness of mind" elders will be strengthening the bond of peace.—Eph. 4:2, 3.
  • TD
    TD

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I read the account referenced above a bit differently.

1. Word came back to Jerusalem about some in Galatia who weren't keeping the law in the opinion of some.

2. James sent people up to check it out. (who died and made HIM Jesus?)

3. These men started to try to undermine what was going on in Galatia.

4. Paul caught wind of it and decided to confront this passive-aggressive behavior directly and went down to Jerusalem w/Barnabas and others.

5. Lots of argument and debate. James denies having sent these men (though the scripture clearly says these men were sent by him) and finally

backpedals and sends an apology letter back to the congregations in Galatia outlining things for observance that they both ALREADY held in common.

6. Upshot was, the congregation in Jerusalem backed down and minded their own business, but later they'd still be gunning for Paul.

In all this you see NOTHING resembling a "governing body". It was a beef between a couple of congregations is all it was. There's nothing in Pauls words in Galatians other than sneering with regard to any supposed superiority and wisdom on the part of any in Jerusalem.

• blondie
    blondie

The Watchtower is not the instrument of any man or any set of men, nor is it published according to the whims of men. No man's opinion is expressed in The Watchtower. (The Watchtower, 1931 November 1 p.327)

It is fitting, then, that one of the 24 elders, representing anointed ones already in heaven, should stir John's thinking…(Revelation 7:13, 14a) Yes, that elder could locate the answer and give it to John. This suggests that resurrected ones of the 24-elders group may be involved in the communicating of divine truths today. Revelation – Its Grand climax At Hand! 1989 p. 125

Charles Russell believed that "A truth presented by Satan himself is just as true as a truth stated by God…Accept truth wherever you find it, no matter what it contradicts."
    (Zion's Watch Tower 1879 July pp. 8-9)

A website to consider:

http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/holyspirit.htm

• blondie
    blondie

Voice of God.........

*** w57 6/15 p. 370 par. 7 Overseers of Jehovah’s People ***The "slave" then became responsible not only for ministering to the needs of the anointed body members but also for taking on the responsibility of preaching the good news of the established Kingdom to people of all nations. (Matt. 24:14) Such is true not by their determination of it, but because God himself has so directed. "God has set the members in the body, each one of them, just as he pleased," is the way it is pictured in 1 Corinthians 12:18 (NW). It is vital that we appreciate this fact and respond to the directions of the "slave" as we would to the voice of God, because it is His provision.

And now that servant has been appointed by the holy spirit to aid us in our ministry and to call to our mind the good counsel contained in the Bible to attend congregation meetings and there make public declaration of our hope. We should respond with the same readiness as we would to the voice of God. It is his means of dealing with us now.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

darn pic won't post

• Chalam
    Chalam

I bet it's more accurate than the GB's efforts at predicting the outbreak of Armageddon!

LOL!

On a serious note.

JW apologist to explain how the GB gets its messeges from Jesus the King?

It's pretty obvious He isn't their King and neither do they listen to Him.

R evelation 19:10 (New International Version)

10 At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, "Do not do it! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

The WT testify all day long about "jehovah", the false god they have created and any testimony of Jesus is normally full of lies such as how is the angel Michael and how is a resurrected "spirit creature".

All the best,

Stephen

• Gregor
    Gregor

I think a lot (most?) of the orgs changes (aka, New Light) have come after deep prayer and meditation with their attorneys.

• cattails
    cattails
    There was a WT, from January 2008 I believe, that strongly suggested that resurrected 20th century "anointed ones" were "involved in the transmission of divine revelations today" or some such.

Judas Priest! Can you imagine the GB

currently overseen by the likes of Rutherford

and Freddy Franz from above! Whatta fiasco.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IdVJJUOIft0/STiDwMXNlHI/AAAAAAAAASk/Bgb6oCby3BQ/s1600/rutherford%2Bsanta.gif

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks Blondie, again you have come up trumps with the quotes.

I think the WT in question was in fact in 2007, but was quoted in Jan 2008 in the Days Text book. The article in question, if I remember correctly, referred back to the quote from the "Rev Climax" book. (Rev. Climax ? , sounds like Jeremy Clarkson getting excited)

It was this issue that persuaded me that the GB were totally looney, and I have asked a number of "spiritually mature" JDub's how it works, especially in the light of Leviticus 20 v 27 "A man or women who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death" N.I.V

For medium we could insert the word that spiritists use "Channel" ------ say no more.

I asked how and when the 1919 "choosing" was conveyed to them ,coz obviously they didn't know they were chosen in 1919. No answers yet.

Love

Wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit