District Convention Friday pm talk - “Answers to Questions About the Last Days”

by yadda yadda 2 55 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Why have some of Jehovah's Witnesses entertained wrong expectations about dates?

The anwer was YADDA YADDA YADDA- unimportant really what was said. The important thing was to further blame MEMBERS, not the leaders.
    MEMBERS have entertained (not done serious meditation or WT studying) and the MEMBERS have wrong expectations. Just keep casting blame away from the leaders and they will believe it.

Just in case anyone wants to recall the leaders' role in this, they sidetrack to scriptures that say "Keep Awake." The leaders are "alert" but the members have wrong expectations.

I am totally amazed that they actually thought it was a good idea to address 1975. I suppose the thinking was that too many rumors are out there. I think someone really dropped the ball on that- reminding the members about that. But still, to blame the members once more, (Their anticipation....) is ridiculous.

I can hear the cult doubletalk in that. The MEMBERS that they refer to are said to be not false Christians, but "alert" to the end. That's because the members referred to are the leaders and writers of WT literature along with the members who believed them.

Addressing members speculating on dates is the entire purpose of this talk. The WT leaders want to remind them not to do so. With only one exception, the rest of the questions and answers were meaningless, just there to remind us that the leaders have it all figured out and we should just listen to/believe what they say.

The one exception: In the last question about the sign of the last days, the speaker mentions something occuring in the world today that shows that "we are in the last days." Among the typical things, he says "child abusers." Not "child abuse" but "abusers." That was purposely slipped in there to make the members be disgusted at the abuser whenever they hear of such crimes, and not focus on the reasons for the abuse such as mishandling by elders. Oh, it's subtle but it's there.

Still, this is a major talk that's full of surprises. To me, it means they are very afraid of free information available to the members.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"Answers to Questions About the Last Days", eh? So, does everyone in the audience get to submit their questions to be answered from the platform? Of course not! These are phoney leading questions carefully phrased by the Teaching Department.

What questions would you submit to have answered? I'd start with a couple that even die-hard dubs are really wondering about...

Why do they never talk about the "cry of peace and security" anymore? What happened to that very important sign of the end?

What happened to Daniel's King of the North? After WTBTS failed to predict the fall of the USSR, why has this very important super-power in the plan of events to the last days just disappeared?

B the X

• Mary
    Mary

The new buzz-phrase is: Stay Alive till 2075.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I'm wondering if there are plans to have a centennial celebration of Christ's invisible return in 2014? If the Watchtower Society could celebrate its 100th year of existence in 1984, certainly they should celebrate the 100th year of Christ's reign over the earth in 2014!

Perhaps they could resurrect the talk given back in 1966, "What Has God's Kingdom Been Doing Since 1914?"

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/booklets/kingdomdoing.html

They wouldn't have to change too much in the booklet. Besides, it'd be an entirely new audience. There's very few JWs alive who would remember the 1966 talk.

Maybe it's time to start up a 1914 Centennial webpage?!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I'm wondering if there are plans to have a centennial
    celebration of Christ's invisible return in 2014?

How about a logo for the Yeartext hanging at the hall:

Jesus, invisibly present since 1914.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

For lurkers,

Here are some links to online documents that show that the dates 1925 and 1975 were first promoted by the Watchtower Society. These document that those "some Witnesses" who "had wrong expectations" about certain dates got that from the Watchtower Society itself. Most of the documents at these links are PDF. Just do searches for the particular years involved. Type "1925" or "1975," etc. into the search field.

Predictions for 1925:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Predictions%20for%201925%22

Predictions for 1975:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Predictions%20for%201975%22

And here are some more....

Predictions for 1914:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Predictions%20for%201914%22

Predictions for 1918:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Predictions%20for%201918%22

Predictions for 1920:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Predictions%20for%201920%22

• knock knock
    knock knock

Hey B the X,

I can't imagine that they're not all abuzz about the peace and security cry. Obama is saying those words in virtually every speech he makes (or the few I've heard anyway). On the day N. Korea tested their missiles, their leader, the Iranian president and Obama all used the phrase in relation to how dangerous the situation is. Other newscasters are also on the bandwagon with that catch-phrase.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Knock Knock, they are all abuzz about it.

I know JWs that hang on his every word only to see how it fullfills bible prophecy. Emails are sent about everytime the guy says peace or security or anything remotely close. I can't tell you how many emails I've received saying this it...the end will come during Obama's time in office.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I continue to listen to the DC talks, how can someone sit through this, at least windows media player allows me to listen at a faster speed.

I am about half way through the speech by the gentleman who represents Bethel and he once again drives home the point on how world conditions are pointing to the last days, not just a repeat of history and we know this because we are provided the assistance of the org to let us know that......an at about minute 17 now and he is talking about false prophets and how one should get away from false prophets...if only all the folks in attendance would realize they are associated with one.......off to a meeting so will need to listen to the remainder later...remember if you are listening using windows media player, speed it up, it shortens the pain!

• blondie
    blondie

2:10 Questions That God's Word Answers (1997 DC)

I wish I could remember the questions. I might still have my notes buried away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit