District Convention Friday pm talk - “Answers to Questions About the Last Days”

by yadda yadda 2 55 Replies latest jw friends

• TERRIC
    TERRIC

the other reason for shortening the talks could be short attention span........

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    the other reason for shortening the talks could be short attention span........

That is a really good point, I am by no means a JW expert, but looking at the new books and WTs vice the older publications, they sure seem to be quite a bit 'dumbed down', and I guess a bunch of shorter talks, hammering home the same point better fits their teaching model.....yuck.

• watson
    watson

O Winston, can you tell us which convention you will be speaking at? For those of us attending that convention, it would be fun "speculatin'."

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Thank you AuntBee for putting up with the talks and putting up the talks on the internet. And how 'happifying' it is to listen to program highlights while browsing JWD threads.

Same Pavlovian response with me. Why do Assembly/Convention speakers almost always have this soporific, hypnotic tone to their voice? Maybe it's deliberate so our brains are relaxed and suggestible

Anyway, I could practically lip-sync what he was going to say on 1925/1975 - usual whitewash. When he asked whether the watchman, who woke up the household because of wind (let the jokes fly) rather than because of the master's arrival, was delinquent or alert, I immediately said 'delinquent.' The silly watchman should have made sure whether the master was back or not before waking everyone up. And if he did that a few times and each time it was a false alarm, he'd be removed as watchman. Don't these guys not think through these analogies?

Also listened to the Songbook samples. Is it me, or were the first and third ones reminiscent of old Russian communist songs? Another one sounds like a show tune. One thing's for certain, the KH won't have the big orchestra and close harmony singing.

• Robert7
    Robert7

This damage control just makes me angry, and confirms that I made the right decision to leave. This is brainwashing at its greatest. Erase history, and replace it with a scrubbed clean version as defined by the WTS. What a cult!

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I am listening to this now.....

It is making me ill........I can not believe this drivel. The constant talk about the anointed and the great crowd, think how this will appear to Jehovah's anointed ones, and there associates, the great crowd....puke....plus at the beginning putting all the blame on the individual witnesses, not the organization.......I have never been a witness and the information in this speech is nothing new.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

How could anyone sit through 3 days of this stuff? I'm 5 minutes into the audio file and I want to go jump off a bridge.

However, thank you AuntBee for providing the file.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

forgot to add that, THANKS AUNT BEE......I have noticed that since my wife is studying again, she seems borderline depressed, I think after listening to this I now understand why......

• Heaven
    Heaven

steve2 said: In 1971, an obnoxiously over-confident branch representative addressed the district convention in New Zealand. He dramatically raised the question of how much time remained before this "wicked "system ends and then held up his arm way above his head for all to see, exposing the back of his hand with four fingers showing. We all knew what he meant: Four more years. The air was abuzz with excitement. On reflection, maybe each finger stood for one hundred years.....

OMG! That's hilarious! But are you sure it's just one hundred years for each finger? I was thinkin' maybe it's more like 1,000 for each finger. Sheesh!

Here's the favourite quote on www.jwfacts.com today. I was 5 years old when this drivel came out. I'm 45 now. Glad I didn't listen:

Awake!1969 May 22 p.15
    "If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. ... Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in highschool and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!"

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I was listening to another section of the DC from the audios that Aunt Bee provided, I guess the best title would be 'stories from the crowd' where folks were asked to tell about a big impact a DC had on their life. The one gentleman spoke about how he was working too long and he quit his job and he is now a full time pioneer and how much better his life is....puke.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit