Got stopped by the Mormons today, very annoyed

by callitquits76 25 Replies latest jw friends

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

You should bring up the fact that Mormons believe the USA is God's chosen nation. That makes Mormons from other countries very uncomfortable.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I just quote them Galatians 1:8,9 and tell them that while I don't doubt that Joseph Smith experienced a supernatural communication, he received a "good news" from an angel that was beyond what the apostles received and taught. Smith also wrote the entire book of mormon in a kind of trance while peering into a seer-stone. Basically, he was a spirit-medium.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I spoke for around 20 minutes because I didnt want them to think I was running away through lack of education.....

1. What does it matter what they think about you?

2. That's 20 minutes of your life you'll never get back. Talking to Mormons is pretty much like talking to dubs. Waste of time and effort.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

You should bring up the fact that Mormons believe the USA is God's chosen nation. That makes Mormons from other countries very uncomfortable.

Or ask them about Native Americans or people with dark skin.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

What parakeet said. Why does everything have to be a doctrinal battle, especially if their religious views aren't affecting you, personally? Just say you're not interested and walk away.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Why does everything have to be a doctrinal battle, especially if their religious views aren't affecting you, personally?

Nice segue to my theory, which is: JWs have a highly controlled environment. When someone's behavior falls outside the approved parameters, they run to the elders and the person is either corrected, punished, or removed. Presto--no abberations.

People who leave this highly controlled environment become uncomfortable when they find themselves with an uncontrolled environment (also known as normalcy). Some of us (including me in the past) try to exert some control upon our new environments to reduce the discomfort. (Example: The PLEASE STOP IT!!!! thread. I have no theory about this thread's author's feelings, just making a general observation.)

The best thing to do is to sit with the discomfort of an uncontrolled environment until you adjust.

• TD
    TD

Mormons believe there are problems with all Bible manuscripts and accept the Bible only "insofar as it is translated correctly." What this means in practical terms is that whenever an apparent contradiction between the Bible and BOM occurs, the BOM wins out because it was translated with Divine assistence.

By far the worst problems with the LDS church aren't scriptural, they're practical. There are linquistic anachronisms in the BOM because Joseph Smith knew nothing of ancient Greek and didn't realize that some of the words and phrases he borrowed from the KJV are Greek. (e.g. "Synagogue" (A Greek word) - "Verily,verily, verily" (A literal translation of a Greek metaphor))

There's also a huge problem with the idea of an advanced iron-age culture on par with 1st century Rome existing on the North American continent. The horse was brought to North America by Spanish Explorers in the 16th century. Walled cities, steel weapons and armor, gold work of any kind, chariots, masonry ramparts and temples, etc. are durable objects that often last for thousands of years.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    Mindmelda: I love the shock value idea. Next time the JWs come to my door asking where I stand in their organization, I think I will say "Can you make this quick? I have to go to work. I'm a callgirl. Men don't just screw themselves you know."

Wait would that be classless?

LOL at vikesgirl101!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I have had occasion to address missionaries this way, when I was lacking time for a lengthy discussion.

"You say your religion is the only true one, and everyone else says theirs is too. You religionists really need to get together and get your story straight, since you all tell me different things. Tell you what. Figure out what the truth really is and then come back here with a Jew, Catholic, Muslim and Hindu all in agreement about what is true and then I will give you my time and learn from all of you."

No one has ever taken me up on that offer.

• thomas15
    thomas15

I'm a volunteer firefighter in my semi-rural town. This last weekend, I took our fire safety trailer and an engine to the Mormon church for their emergency prepardness day. They invite various public and private emergency responder groups to this event every year and open it to the public. The idea is to get the public to the church for a non-religious reason (outreach) and then impress them with their community awareness. Many of you know that I'm an Evangelical Born again, I'm also the fire safety coordinator and fire company chaplain as well as an active firefighter. My fire company dress uniform has the Christian chaplain pin for all the world to see. I am thought, respectful of others beliefs but will defend mine if called upon (in a friendly manner).

Anyway, there were two Mormon Elders there. I couldn't believe how young they were (I would say 20-22 years old if that ) and they lacked discpline in their public behavior. I'm 51 years old and a Christian for 35 years and don't consider myself mature enough to be an Elder. This really made a negative impression on me. I could not take them seriously no matter what kind of head knowledge they might have, they just acted silly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit