Are Teachers Being Laid Off in Your Area?

by compound complex 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yes.

Sylvia

• Denial
    Denial

i work at a private career college.....in the past 4 weeks, there have been 3 instructors laid off. last year at this time the company was hiring and expanding.

• the research lady
    the research lady

In the town we live in every teacher is being laid off and then some of them will be rehired in the Fall at 90% of their former salary. The story has been on national news the last few days.The town is running out of money but at the same time they have been digging up all the roads to put in city sewerage.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Friends:

What you have disclosed regarding this widespread, sad situation is enlightening. I appreciate the details you've provided as they give me an idea of the whys and wherefores of these lay offs.

I hope to find out more later today about our local circumstance.

With gratitude,

CoCo

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

In Gwinnett County Georgia they have been laying off teachers with more experience and keeping the newer ones because their pay is less.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Not that I know of, but we have had a glut of teachers for a few decades now. The colleges keep churning them out but there are far less teaching jobs than qualified teachers. People with Master's Degrees and teaching certificates are working as Substitute (part time) Teacher's Aides (minimum wage). The lucky ones become Substitute Teachers.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Yes. There are a couple of unfortunate side effects. First of all the Union is screaming about how unfair it is. Apparently they think they should have jobs no matter what happens to the rest of us. Secondly (and worse IMHO) the administrative level is still bloated beyond all reason. Seems like every time we hire two teachers to reduce class size, we have to hire an administrator to push the paper around.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

CoCo,

by any chance, do you live in California ? I read lately that your cerebral governor wants to replace text books in schools with e-books, to reduce state expenses. IMO, that tells a lot about the emphasis Terminator puts on culture and education.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Cher[e] Aligot:

Yes; I live in Californie. I need to look a little further into the deeds of our illustrious Terminator!

Merci beaucoup de votre reponse.

Thanks, too, to Jeff, Scarred, Rebel and anyone else whom I might have unwittingly missed.

CoCo

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

When Arnie hears the word Education he fires indistinctly at anything that has a brain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit