Are Teachers Being Laid Off in Your Area?

by compound complex 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• compound complex
    compound complex

It's happening here to teachers I know personally.

And in your community?

CoCo

• blondie
    blondie

Fired or laid off?

Fired indicates that they might not have lived up to the conditions and requirements of teachers.

Laid off could mean a downturn in the economy but that the teacher(s) are still good workers.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

As Blondie indicates, not the most lucid question I have encountered. Want to give us a bit more to go on?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Blondie.

Laid off is what I meant. A distinction WITH a difference!

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

SBF:

Sorry for my failure to be lucid. I will offer no excuses for that. I will reformat the ?

Despite what may show above, the reformatted question is "Are Teachers Being Laid Off in Your Area?"

CC

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Teachers are not being laid off in my area to my knowledge. But it is hard for graduates to get placements and a lot have to work as substitute teachers when required or look for other types of work instead.

• compound complex
    compound complex

SBF:

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

The initial thread title was borne of my upset over what I learned 2 days ago.

I attended a family member's graduation and wondered why the principal was "smiling through tears." He emceed the entire program beautifully and with dignity. I learned later that he and some teachers were, as I understand, notified that day of their having been laid off. No other details have surfaced yet.

Gratefully,

CoCo

• Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

Employment for teachers is changing here.There are charter schools, private schools , cyber schools, tutoring businesses, and homeschool evaluators being employed by the private sector. I do not know if it has created lay-offs or if the growth in the public schools is just slowed down.Our schools have not had their budgets cut or needed to trim staff yet.

BF

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Yes, It's a pretty big problem in my area. In my county, Gwinnett County, there have been a lot of "layoffs" because of huge budget cuts. Most of these teachers have the opportunity to get jobs at new schools that are being built and will open in the fall. In fact, the principals at the new schools are instructed by the county to hire "displaced" teachers before they look to new applicants.

I know several new graduates with teaching degrees. None have found a job. My daughter has one friend that graduted last year with a degree in art education. Still no job. It's been over a year. The postions like art and music teachers are the first to go.

It is likely to be even worse by September . Principals do not know exactly what their enrollment will be until after September 1. If enrollment is down, they will have to cut more positions.

This is a problem all over the state of Georgia but I am most familiar with my county.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Yes, they have been laid off. That is so sad that it has come to that. They are making the class sizes larger, which means less individual time for students. They laid the teachers off based on how long they had been employed verses their capabilities. I much rather have a new teacher still working that is great with students and really teaches them, verses a older teacher than is not very productive!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit