Wow, they just came to my door for the first time in

by beksbks 48 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

more years than I can remember! Two very nice older men. As soon as they started to bring out the pamphlet I said "Jehovah's Witnesses?" Yes of course they were. I just said oh no thank you. They asked if they could just ask why. All I said was that I was very familiar with it, and was not interested. But thank you. I feel all shook up. How can that get me all shook up after all this time???

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

It's wierd, the memories never escape you.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I get a weird feeling in confronting them, too. It's a feeling of being unnerved.

For one thing, I resent people dropping by unexpectedly and expecting me to drop everything and entertain them . It's just rude.

Second of all, I don't like the attitude it implies...like they are self-sacrificing to be out giving their time to do good to the lost. I am not "lost" and if they want to really do something good why don't they go volunteer at a soup kitchen or go read stories to children in the hospital?

Anything you do or say that is not receptive to their mission will be considered "persecution" by them. You don't want to give them that smug self satisfaction; I think there is a lot of frustration in encounter.

Plus yeah, if they know how familiar you are with WT, they may start pestering you.

• beksbks
    beksbks

They started out by telling me their names and asking mine, nice and friendly. I think that's part of why it's so hard. They're just people, most of them are good and kind. It just doesn't jive with my inner loathing of the organization. When they asked why I wasn't interested, I stammered all over the place. My mind racing. I didn't really want them to know that I was an X, because I figured that would put me at the top of the call back list. It has before.

*shiver* Tell me this is not a cult, I dare ya.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Isn't it surreal when your circles cross again, Beks? You sound almost traumatized and understandably so.

It's hard to look into the face of sincere, yet brainwashed people and know you cannot speak the truth to them and help them out of their trance-like state. Very hard. I remember being a JW and someone saying to me they just wished they could drill a hole into "worldly people's" heads and pour the truth in. Now I wish the same thing about them.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Beks:

Just "dare ya" or "triple-dog dare ya"?

Huh?!?!?!

CoCo

• beksbks
    beksbks

CoCo!! Yea! Straight to the triple dog dare!!

• snowbird
    snowbird

Memories are powerful!

Just shake the dust off your feet against them.

Sylvia

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

It's not just them, someone knocking on your door selling ANYTHING will sort of shake you up. Admitedly you're going to have a greater response to this group.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Yeah, I thought I was past it too. Then an elder in the area called me on my cell phone to try to set up a visit. So much for exiting gracefully.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit