My experience at the District Convention today - Appreciate your comments

by BonaFide 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

If I were them I'd cry after 25 years of the old songbook. I'd be impressed by the quality singing of selected "kingdom" songs (more aptly the Jehovah songbook). I'd be hoping that some songs had been retired permanently. But I have no illusions that quality of singing at local congregations would even be close and that they would not be like the African jws who stayed after the Sunday meetings to practice the new songs.

I would be grateful that finally I was not subjected to a "Bible" drama that had people and words that never appear in the Bible.

I'd be happy to see jws friends no longer in your congregation (or circuit) that you are too busy in "theocratic" activities to see.

I'd be excited to go out to eat afterwards with these friends, spend time in the swimming pool and spa, have parties in our rooms with free-flowing alcohol.

I found that asking the average jw for specific, detailed points they remember from the talks, all I'd get were general statements applicable to the last 20 conventions.

Blondie

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There is a reason why it's so difficult to get someone out. The structure of the religion makes it difficult for anyone to listen to anyone but the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger. One hounder-hounder is not going to be able to stand up against the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger when he stops hounding and starts trying to help out. People are tuned to "keep their eyes on the prize" and "pay more than the usual attention". But to what? Whatever comes from their Kingdumb Miseries and Washtowels. Whatever comes from the Big, Great, and Grand Boasting Session. And, if there is one hounder that starts teaching something that conflicts with one of those sources, people are going to start viewing that rogue hounder with suspicion and disregard him. If you show people the proof that the organization is wrong, you are going to be dismissed at once as apostate (something the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger did a thorough job at programming the witlesses to do).

The witlesses believe that the organization is God's, and that hounders (and hounder-hounders, and hounder-hounder-hounders, and even individual members of their ruler class) can fall away (Raymond Franz is perhaps the highest profile example of one that fell away when he realized that it wasn't the truth, and they had to disfellowship him on wimpy grounds). And, even Raymond Franz (a former Governing Body member) cannot get people to wake up and see the light--because the organization has done such a thorough job at teaching people to view outside sources as from Satan.

As for people being so moved by the releases, that is because they have nothing good at all in their lives. So, when you get a new DVD, they are going to be so excited by it. They have only had 225 Kingdumb Maladies to sing since 1984, and they are getting stale. So now, you add 42 (and take away 132), and they are going to get excited about it all. Just wait another 3 or 4 years--having only 135 songs they can listen to is going to get old mighty quickly. I find it quite pathetic that they get excited about such wimpy things as a few new releases and a few pieces of Kingdumb sxxx--I have more than 13.000 songs on my playlist and access to more than another 7 million, and find 42 to be a wimpy reason to be excited.

• Borgia
    Borgia

Bonafide adn all else who went, will go.....

Did you gauge the time people spent walking around chatting during the program? Of course there are many on their seats.....try and count the walkers.....Where they once sat on their asses listening to the whole program and nothing but the program....they now walk around chatting or are still seated but playing with their phones, or making "notes" with their blackberries, ipaq's or even EEEPC's.

Check it out......all else is emotion .....group emotion.

Cheers

Borgia

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Bona,

The comments I got were the same last weekend about the wonderfulness of the crapvention. I wasn't surprised. They were all practiced up with their "ohh"ing and "ahh"ing and "best convention ever", long before the program started. Blondie nailed the facts pretty well already. They don't really pay much attention to the material. They're more excited about the socializing and getting away from their humdrum lives.

That's a good one jookbeard: "quick fixes of spiritual heroin are very temporary and they soon hit the earth with a bump." How about Kingdumb Krack or Ministry Meth? It doesn't last long as reality comes crashing back in.

Since these are the first couple weeks of the program, everyone is excited. May will jump districts to get an early look at the mess. Later in the season, as more already know the releases and highlights, the enthusiasm is somewhat deflated.

I'm waiting to start chipping away at the indoctrination. For example, in the drama the parents also had a special savings account for the kid to pioneer after graduation. So, how can parents expect their kids to pioneer if they haven't set aside a nice big ne$t egg for the younguns? Hmm, guess they won't be able to pioneer without that money. Everybody better start saving money ASAP.

B the X

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

People cry at the movies, they cry at musicals at plays they even cry on Oprah (for a fee)

When you live a barren life, even the momentary escape of fake emotions is better than nothing.

If you were starving you too would eat the beak and claw chucken nuggets.

HB

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Hammy B. you're makin' me hungry for a few of these...

• besty
    besty

Dead cat bounce anyone?

A dead cat bounce is a figurative term used by traders in the finance industry to describe a pattern wherein a spectacular decline in the price of a stock is immediately followed by a moderate and temporary rise before resuming its downward movement, with the connotation that the rise was not an indication of improving circumstances in the fundamentals of the stock. It is derived from the notion that "even a dead cat will bounce if it falls from a great height".

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Thanks everyone. I really hope that is true that the excitement will be short-lived.

I did notice that many of the friends were walking around during the sessions. Plus I doubt that most of the friends will read the new book. They will wait until it is studied next year at the CBS.

BF

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

As Blondie brought out, the DC is the highest point in the spiritual lives of JWs, mainly because it's something different. They get to see old friends, hear the latest gossip, prowl for future mates, or fixate on a new publication that dissapoints their subtle desires for sensational new prophesies.

• middleman
    middleman

btt...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit