Is anyone suffering from post-traumatic bitterness disorder?

by BurnTheShips 32 Replies latest jw friends

• StAnn
    StAnn

You're in Hawaii on vacation and you're checking in at JWD? Burn, I TOLD you that you were strange. Put down that laptop and go do something fun!

St. Ann

• wavvy
    wavvy

AllTImeJeff - I totally agree with you. Although it is much easier said than done, bitterness is not healthy.

I love what mindmelda says: maybe the best revenge is just to have a successful life and be happy!

I say that...but then here I am on this site enjoying other people venting their bitterness, and having my own little vents now and again.

StAnn - It really is amazing how much that belief that you can't really be happy when you are not a JW permeates their thinking. My sister has had a rough time out of the org, and my parents never stop telling her its because she left. I have remarried a beautiful man who is not a JW and my parents never stop warning me that it is going to turn out badly. They are so blocked by their beliefs that they can't see how much better my life is now than when I was married to an emotionally abusive elder (although they totally supported me leaving him for which I am eternally grateful).

While I was still a Witness I remember talking to a lady who had been d'd and then was reinstated. She told me that she thought God had looked after her while she was outside the org. I remember being so shocked at the time that she thought God had taken care of her while she was d'd. The whole concept was alien! But she was adamant that she'd had felt blessed the whole time she was outside. That comment stuck with me as I began to realise that most of the things I spent my whole life believing were fallacious. But when I first left I still spent quite a lot of time in fear waiting for all the bad stuff to start happening to me because I no longer had God's blessing!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

wavvy: But when I first left I still spent quite a lot of time in fear waiting for all the bad stuff to start happening to me because I no longer had God's blessing!

That's a sort of "self-destruct mechanism" that is built into the JW mentality. We're taught that if we start misbehaving, we will explode... or be exploded by Hojovah.

B the X

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit