Is anyone suffering from post-traumatic bitterness disorder?

by BurnTheShips 32 Replies latest jw friends

• StAnn
    StAnn

I get angry and bitter at the WTS/GB. With my JDub family, I'm just disgusted. Here's one of the reasons why.

In January, my dad and I had a big argument because I became Catholic and have helped other people who are ex-JWs who are interested in Catholicism. (I posted a thread about it.) He hasn't spoken to me since. I was talking to my priest about that last week and how it bothered me. He asked, "But doesn't your dad see how much happier you are now that you're Catholic?" (I've been Catholic for six years.) My husband answered, correctly, "The fact that she's happier doesn't matter to him."

I guess it really hit me then that, with the cult mindset, people really, really don't matter to them (JDubs). My happiness isn't important to my dad. You'd think my dad would want me to be happy in life but he's actually angry because I'm happy, since that happiness hinges upon rejecting the WTS.

So I'd qualify my dad as having "current traumatic bitterness disorder".

And, Burn, you are just a little nuts.

St. Ann

• Robdar
    Robdar

Oh great. Another disorder for the mental health professionals to drool over. I bet they can't wait to shove another pill at the problem.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Rob, you seem to be conflating psychiatrists with psychologists. Any particular reason for your apparent bitterness with the mental health profession?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Interesting article BTS

It seems that for anyone who leaves, it is healthiest to deal with it as best one can and try to move on. (easier said then done, that goes without saying)

I don't think the context matters though. Whether you are leaving JW's, or dealing with some other injustice, to be bitter is not healthy. I would whole heartedly endorse and encourage seeking out professional help if this is the case, esp if it is so bad that one can't function very well....

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

St.Ann....maybe he is not only upset but extremely confused by you being happy. Jw's find it hard to accept anyone could be actually happy with

life leaving God's organization.....

hope4others

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I don' t think it's strange to feel that you've been treated unjustly when you have been.

But, I think that different personality types handle injustice differently. Sitting around the rest of your life fantasizing about getting revenge on the WTS in different ways seems a waste of time, and just stoking the fire.

Living your life successfully may well be the best revenge because the JW prediction is that you cannot have a happy, good or successful life without their dogma and presence ruling your life.

Then you have to decide what a successful life entails. For some, it's replacing their old unsupportable beliefs with something more rational and liveable. I know that's true of me. I tried agnosticism and it was definitely better than JW hocus pocus, but I also started to feel spiritually empty.

I'm one of those crazy people who needs to believe in God, but not the JW God. Too scary, too mean, too unforgiving, too dictatorial.

God just seems to be a reasonable explanation for all the inexplicable bits of life and for human nature itself, and after examining all sorts of other philosophies and ideas, that's where I am.

But, I now call the JW God "Godzilla" because that's all he seems to do...stomp a bunch of people for being human every so often. They can have the God of Angry Tantrums, feh.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Calling this a "disorder" is a perfect example of the desire for society to medicalize all forms of deviance. If someone exhibits a trait that is determined to be unhealthy, or even just different, society prefers to "medicalize" it by giving it a name and attempting to treat it like its a disease.

• StAnn
    StAnn

H4O, you may be right about the pater familias. Just goes through life mystified.

St. Ann

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Dude, Hawaii is awesome, everyone is so nice here, or maybe it's just the rum. ;-)

I bet they can't wait to shove another pill at the problem.

I am sorry to say that pills can often help, Robbie, at least to get things under control so you can deal with the problem rationally. They helped me for a while. Brain chemistry is real. What can I say?

BTS

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Aloha BTS!

Yeah, Kauai is incredible. I liked Maui better, but why be picky. I'd take Molokai right now even... peaceful, quiet, Molokai.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this disorder category shapes up. The brain and the mind are so complex. While stress disorders are so distressing for the person involved, a bitterness disorder, as described, sounds toxic. Not only is it disabling for the person, but it alienates others around them. While the person needs help to cope, they drive people away.

Meds have helped many conditions and hopefully might help this one. But, having dealt with some bitter, toxic people, I might agree with Robdar in this respect... Rather than pills, perhaps the medication should be in suppository form. That way the doctor can say, "Sorry you're so bitter. Here, shove some of these up your butt!"

Sorry for the tasteless humor at the expense of others.

B the X

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit