Is anyone suffering from post-traumatic bitterness disorder?

by BurnTheShips 32 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-bitterness25-2009may25,0,4544029.story

Bitterness as mental illness?

Bitter behavior is so common and deeply destructive that some psychiatrists are urging it be identified as a mental illness under the name post-traumatic embitterment disorder.

By Shari Roan

May 25, 2009

You know them. I know them. And, increasingly, psychiatrists know them. People who feel they have been wronged by someone and are so bitter they can barely function other than to ruminate about their circumstances.

This behavior is so common -- and so deeply destructive -- that some psychiatrists are urging it be identified as a mental illness under the name post-traumatic embitterment disorder. The behavior was discussed before an enthusiastic audience last week at a meeting of the American Psychiatric Assn. in San Francisco.

The disorder is modeled after post-traumatic stress disorder because it too is a response to a trauma that endures. People with PTSD are left fearful and anxious. Embittered people are left seething for revenge.

"They feel the world has treated them unfairly. It's one step more complex than anger. They're angry plus helpless," says Dr. Michael Linden, a German psychiatrist who named the behavior.

Embittered people are typically good people who have worked hard at something important, such as a job, relationship or activity, Linden says. When something unexpectedly awful happens -- they don't get the promotion, their spouse files for divorce or they fail to make the Olympic team -- a profound sense of injustice overtakes them. Instead of dealing with the loss with the help of family and friends, they cannot let go of the feeling of being victimized. Almost immediately after the traumatic event, they become angry, pessimistic, aggressive, hopeless haters.

"Embitterment is a violation of basic beliefs," Linden says. "It causes a very severe emotional reaction. . . . We are always coping with negative life events. It's the reaction that varies."

There are only a handful of studies on the condition, but psychiatrists at the meeting agreed that much more research is needed on identifying and helping these people. One estimate is that 1% to 2% of the population is embittered, says Linden, who has published several studies on the condition.

"These people usually don't come to treatment because 'the world has to change, not me,' " Linden says. "They are almost treatment resistant. . . . Revenge is not a treatment."

Nevertheless, Linden suggests that people once known as loving, normal individuals who suddenly snap and kill their family and themselves may have post-traumatic embitterment syndrome. That's reason enough for researchers to study how to treat the destructive emotion of bitterness.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Definitely food for thought.

Thanks, Burn.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Embittered people are typically good people who have worked hard at something important.....When something unexpectedly awful happens......a profound sense of injustice overtakes them.

I wonder how many of us that were wronged by the WT suffer from this? Learning the truth about the "truth" can be quite an enormous psychological shock. It can be very hard to let go.

BTS

• Kinjiro
    Kinjiro

Very nice post BTS. To some extent or other, all ex-jws may well have this condition...

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

I am completely bitter, except for a few sweet spots here and there...

• C. T. Russell
    C. T. Russell

I suffer from current-traumatic bitterness disorder.

• The Berean
    The Berean

I have seen this condition in people who have not walked into a KH for 40 years. It appears to be real ...

• VIII
    VIII

I know someone who is affected by this. (Not me, FTR)

This person rants about the JWs and simply cannot move on. They also rant about their parents and how their life would be *Better and totally different* if they weren't forced to go to the meetings, etc. If only they had done things differently. If only, and on and on. No responsibility on their part for their current situation which is totally their fault. They have been out of the dubs for 30 years.

Now, I have pointed out over the years that yes, *It* all sucked etc. However, it was 30 years ago.

If, after 30 years you cannot move past the simple concept of taking responsibility for the here and now and make your life better you need therapy. I can't help anymore. This person wants money. Lots of it. Like lawsuit kind. From the parents. And, potentially the WTS. Sound familiar?

This person had a therapist and after 3 years of being told that yes, you were wronged, yes, it hurts, yes, you are right to be hurt etc. This person felt that the therapist wasn't doing enough to get them MONEY!!! The therapist told them to find an Attorney and good luck suing the parent for pain and suffering and bad parenting.

Sound familiar?

At least I feel justified by reading this article. I have told the individual to find a good therapist, get some good drugs (legal) and try to let it go.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yup! I think JWN is therapy for PTBD.

On another note... I have discovered that I suffer from Phantom Vibration Syndrome. This is where one thinks one's phone is vibrating with an incoming call... but upon inspection the phone was not vibrating and there was no incoming call or IM.

• VIII
    VIII

"On another note... I have discovered that I suffer from Phantom Vibration Syndrome. This is where one thinks one's phone is vibrating with an incoming call... but upon inspection the phone was not vibrating and there was no incoming call or IM."

Crackberry

Really funny when the you hear a phone ring and 10 people all grab their phone and look to see if it's theirs.

Back to the topic. Sorry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit