DF or DA what do you think the difference is?

by Rosey 36 Replies latest jw friends

• C. T. Russell
    C. T. Russell

If you DA, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater. — Shepherd Book

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I believe you will find that those 2 terms are being blended for the organization. Here's why .. let's say a judicial commitee DFs someone which leads to extreme mental and economic consequences at home for the banished party. Later, it was be determined that the JC acted inapproriately, incompetently, or with bias ... LAWSUIT TIME ... maybe even up the chain to Bethel ...

So the tric today is to get troubled members to commit spiritual "suicide" by denouncing their faith and thus making it appear that it was their choice. If anything goes wrong on the homefront, too bad ...

The terminology being used is that "so-nd-so is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses." This willl eventually replace DF and DA ...

Berean, Do you have any insight to this?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I don't know why, but when I offered to da myself, the elders said that they would df me instead.

I think that's the arrogance of the elders showing. They like to feel that they had the last word. It makes them feel tough.

W

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I believe you will find that those 2 terms are being blended for the organization. Here's why .. let's say a judicial commitee DFs someone which leads to extreme mental and economic consequences at home for the banished party. Later, it was be determined that the JC acted inapproriately, incompetently, or with bias ... LAWSUIT TIME ... maybe even up the chain to Bethel

I thought that once you had a JC, that was it. If the Elders were hasty and incompetent in disfellowshipping, then I always believed that there was no recourse. You have to apply for reinstatement back to the same incompetent Elders on that JC, making it impossible but if there is further recourse, then who is it? Would you write to Bethel and request an investigation into the situation or what? I'm curious.

sammieswife.

• RaraAvis
    RaraAvis

After 6 or 7 years they hunted me down and df'd me. My family has never shunned me and my mother has always been a pioneer, very active witness.

I think how you are treated mostly depends on the family. Whether they will follow blindly or "do the kind thing."

ra

• The Berean
    The Berean

Quirky1:

I have had conversations with elders who, while not having an opinion as to why, indicated that instructions from GB have already been sent to that effect. I believe my sources would have no reason to fabricate such info ... yet I have no documentation ... Will post if anything cxomes available in print. I might check with andersoninfo

• C. T. Russell
    C. T. Russell

Quirky1 and Berean

Lawsuit time? Has anyone ever successfully sued a religious organization for DF\Excommunication? The only examples I’ve seen have been when the member had a financial or a paid salary association. I don’t picture anyone having a legal ground to sue the WTB&TS Inc. anymore then I have a right to sue my book club for kicking me out. Not trying to make a point, just curious.

As for merging the announcement statements I can see this happening, surprised it already hasn’t. Most congregations easily brush off DF announcements as someone being horny. But DA really stirs up the hornets’ nest. Too many questions about “Why did they do that?”, “Are they apostate?” and the feared “Do they know something I don’t know?”

• The Berean
    The Berean

C. T. Russell:

Anyone can sue anyone else for anything ... It's not whether the WBTS wins or looses a challenge ... it's the time and legal costs of litigation in addition to the public relation risk that they wish to avoid. Imagine what we would post on this site if a case came to court alleging damages to an ex-JW ... regardless of the outcome

Plus there are always "landmark" cases that change settled law ... it's possible to loose.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Berean is right.

If a person is known to be 'sinning', the elders will meet with them. If it's clear from preliminary chats that the person isn't going to change their view they'll be asked if they still wish to be known as a JW. If the answer is no, they're asked to put it in writing. If they refuse to do so the elders will as if they understand that, as they've admitted this in front of two witnesses, they are now disassociated. An announcement is made very quickly stating that the person is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

As Berean correctly states, this saves the local BoE being liable for 'wrongly disfellowshipping'; they person has, by their own words, done the work of a judicial committee.

This is exactly how it was done in my case and I know of two others locally who went through the same cat and mouse game.

As for the difference between being DFd and DAd, being DAd automatically makes you an apostate and thus the worse type of sinner; beyond help or hope.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Rosey said;

"However since being df'd I have had NO contact with my family who are strict jw's and I have recently spoken to some da'd exjw's who still have some contact with their families. Obviously everyone's situation is different and while I now just think we're all people who've decided not to have anything more to do with the borg ( whether through actions or words) I can't help wonder about YOUR opinions."

It depends very much on the person's family. In your case, you quite rightly define your family as "strict jw's". In my own case, my parents still speak to me, but I don't think they're as strict as other JWs. Also, they still want to see my kids...

We have other family members who have admitted that they don't see us as evil sinners...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit