What code of conduct do "atheists" live by?

by The Berean 105 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks
    I may personally view something as wrong even though it is legal.

I agree! And vice verse!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I agree! And vice verse!

Yep.

Now pardon me while I speed to the corner liquor store without a seat belt on and rob the joint.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I just wanted to voice agreement for drwtsn and Beks statements...

Moral relativism is something that ticks off fundies in particular, but it really isn't a movement. It is in fact, an observation of the reality on our planet. Morals are relative, and there are many variables associated with them.

There are definite bedrocks in our modern society that most hold to. As Beks has stated, women worldwide generally get the short end of the stick on that..... The West is at the forefront of granting the rights women are owed. Hopefully, other cultures and governments will follow suit over time.

• beksbks
    beksbks

No problem drwtsn, I noticed that my neighbors have some really nice bikes in the garage they leave unlocked. See ya later.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The issue I have is that I believe where we exist on this planet dictates the definition of "conscience." Killing, stealing, and even what we could call pedophilia are legal and commonplace in some cultures. So, if you or I move to Asia, Africa, Scandinavia, or the Middle East might our core values change?

The thing I get out of this, is that we cannot adversely judge a person because he followed/follows the standards of his community.
    What I mean is, we cannot say that a slaveowner was evil for owning slaves in a slaveowning society. We cannot adversely judge a man who marries a teenage girl in a society that endorses such. We cannot adversely judge a soldier that kills for his country.

What we can judge is how that slaveowner treats the slaves, or how bloodthirsty that soldier is, or how a man mistreats his child-bride.
    I try not to judge people anymore. Atheists are just as moral as Christians. JW's typically, would be good people if they were never JW's.

There is some point to what you say that changing a person's community would change their values to some degree. But as a person whose values were warped by WTS, I don't sweat over people having different values from me. I do abhor those that take advantage of children, but not so much a young adult who has sex with a young not-quite adult. While the society I live in says that both are pedophiles, it isn't the same. While I would not want to participate in abortion, I do not judge as murderers, those that disagree with me. They have different views and issues.

Even gang members had a reason for joining. Sure, we have to lock up those that commit crimes to discourage such behavior, but I don't automatically decide that they are just bad seeds. Growing up in a yuppie community, most gang members would have been completely different people.

What equalizes all of this is education. Not necessarily college, but some kind of exposure to higher thinking, different cultures, history, society, etc. The more we learn about different peoples and different ways of thinking, the more we all get along.

Oh, as an atheist, I am accountable to the society and the laws under which I live, but I am also living under my own code of conduct and answer to myself.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    As Beks has stated, women worldwide generally get the short end of the stick on that.....

Hon you might want to say a sentence out loud before you post it........

Or is my mind just perpetually in the gutter?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

LOL @ Beks!

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Hon you might want to say a sentence out loud before you post it........
    Or is my mind just perpetually in the gutter?

LOL @ Beks....

Beks, what can I say? And I hope that phrase didn't apply to you......

I could have DEFINITELY phrased that better......

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Moral relativism is something that ticks off fundies in particular...

It does seem to. But even among the fundies a universal (objective) moral code does not exist. Which laws presented in the bible are followed? Under what circumstances? Is it ok to stone children? Is slavery ok? Is eating bacon wrong? They don't want to admit this, but their selection of which "objective" morals to follow is in itself a subjective thing.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    It does seem to. But even among the fundies a universal (objective) moral code does not exist. Which laws presented in the bible are followed? Under what circumstances? Is it ok to stone children? Is slavery ok? Is eating bacon wrong? They don't want to admit this, but their selection of which "objective" morals to follow is in itself a subjective thing.

While I personally allow Christians their space, as they clearly do NOT stone their kids or have slave, eat the occasional bacon, etc, it is not easily answered as to why certain (barbaric) passages of biblical law are ignored, (stoning kids) while others (homosexuality is wrong) continue to be a linchpin issue.

Not trying to change the subject, but to make a point. Christians today are the most subjective of all groups in what they selectively follow from the bible. You don't want to be seen as a dark ages Christian, and moms esp do not want themselves or their daughters to be treated as property, the way the bible makes clear. (although it is interesting that Jesus never bothered to follow these precepts of women in the gospel accounts... food for thought?)

The answer is really clear: Even theists/Christians use their own conscience to filter out the good from the bad in the bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit