What code of conduct do "atheists" live by?

by The Berean 105 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    What keeps me from killing,stealing, and raping is fear of punishment by SOME authority ... am I alone?

Are you serious? Personally I don't do those things because I can understand through my own cognitive abilities that they are wrong.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Are you serious that fear of getting caught is the only thing that stops you from killing !!!! Really ???

See I have an internal voice called a conscience ........

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"What keeps me from killing,stealing, and raping is fear of punishment by SOME authority ... am I alone?"

Hopefully.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Most people have a good internal meter that tells them when something is over the line (killing ) . Those that don't have that are called socio-paths not atheists.

• The Berean
    The Berean

OK, so perhaps Atheists live by rules of conscience.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

What keeps me from killing,stealing, and raping is fear of punishment by SOME authority ... am I alone?

Not at all. However, with respect to this statement, (and I am not trying to be a smart @$$) are you implying that the only thing keeping you from killing, stealing, and raping is fear of punishment? I don't think that is what you meant, but if reduced to its common denominator, is that what you are arguing, that fear of punishment is the big deal?

Even most religions, including JW's, take pains to explain the practical benefits of ethical/moral living, apart from the additional argument that such behavior pleases "god" . Of course, these arguments are stand alone, as it can successfully be argued that because "ethical/moral" living is indeed practical and beneficial, it is best. And that doesn't require a fear of god or punishment.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Edward Current covered this issue, months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkCuc34hvD4

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

What Is Secular Humanism?

Secular Humanism is a term which has come into use in the last thirty years to describe a world view with the following elements and principles:

* A conviction that dogmas, ideologies and traditions, whether religious, political or social, must be weighed and tested by each individual and not simply accepted on faith.

* Commitment to the use of critical reason, factual evidence, and scientific methods of inquiry, rather than faith and mysticism, in seeking solutions to human problems and answers to important human questions.

* A primary concern with fulfillment, growth, and creativity for both the individual and humankind in general.

* A constant search for objective truth, with the understanding that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect perception of it.

* A concern for this life and a commitment to making it meaningful through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our intellectual and artistic achievements, and the outlooks of those who differ from us.

* A search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.

* A conviction that with reason, an open marketplace of ideas, good will, and tolerance, progress can be made in building a better world for ourselves and our children.

Are Secular Humanists Atheists?

Secular humanists are generally nontheists. They typically describe themselves as nonreligious. They hail from widely divergent philosophical and religious backgrounds.

Thus, secular humanists do not rely upon gods or other supernatural forces to solve their problems or provide guidance for their conduct. They rely instead upon the application of reason, the lessons of history, and personal experience to form an ethical/moral foundation and to create meaning in life. Secular humanists look to the methodology of science as the most reliable source of information about what is factual or true about the universe we all share, acknowledging that new discoveries will always alter and expand our understanding of it and perhaps change our approach to ethical issues as well. In any case their cosmic outlook draws primarily from human experiences and scientific knowledge.

The Affirmations of Humanism: A Statement of Principles

* We are committed to the application of reason and science to the understanding of the universe and to the solving of human problems.

* We deplore efforts to denigrate human intelligence, to seek to explain the world in supernatural terms, and to look outside nature for salvation.

* We believe that scientific discovery and technology can contribute to the betterment of human life.

* We believe in an open and pluralistic society and that democracy is the best guarantee of protecting human rights from authoritarian elites and repressive majorities.

* We are committed to the principle of the separation of church and state.

* We cultivate the arts of negotiation and compromise as a means of resolving differences and achieving mutual understanding.

* We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance.

* We believe in supporting the disadvantaged and the handicapped so that they will be able to help themselves.

* We attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on race, religion, gender, nationality, creed, class, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, and strive to work together for the common good of humanity.

* We want to protect and enhance the earth, to preserve it for future generations, and to avoid inflicting needless suffering on other species.

* We believe in enjoying life here and now and in developing our creative talents to their fullest.

* We believe in the cultivation of moral excellence.

* We respect the right to privacy. Mature adults should be allowed to fulfill their aspirations, to express their sexual preferences, to exercise reproductive freedom, to have access to comprehensive and informed health-care, and to die with dignity.

* We believe in the common moral decencies: altruism, integrity, honesty, truthfulness, responsibility. Humanist ethics is amenable to critical, rational guidance. There are normative standards that we discover together. Moral principles are tested by their consequences.

* We are deeply concerned with the moral education of our children. We want to nourish reason and compassion.

* We are engaged by the arts no less than by the sciences.

* We are citizens of the universe and are excited by discoveries still to be made in the cosmos.

* We are skeptical of untested claims to knowledge, and we are open to novel ideas and seek new departures in our thinking.

* We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others.

* We believe in optimism rather than pessimism, hope rather than despair, learning in the place of dogma, truth instead of ignorance, joy rather than guilt or sin, tolerance in the place of fear, love instead of hatred, compassion over selfishness, beauty instead of ugliness, and reason rather than blind faith or irrationality.

* We believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that we are capable of as human beings.

• The Berean
    The Berean

Jeff, You probably are smart, and that's great. IBear with me, am actually trying to go some place with this ...

The issue I have is that I believe where we exist on this planet dictates the definition of "conscience." Killing, stealing, and even what we could call pedophilia are legal and commonplace in some cultures. So, if you or I move to Asia, Africa, Scandinavia, or the Middle East might our core values change?

Additionally, millions of incarcerated individuals around the globe are temporarily restrained from commiting vile acts against their particular society which suggests to me that my "fear of punishment" concept is recognized by governments ...

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Um, the laws of the country we live in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit