What code of conduct do "atheists" live by?

by The Berean 105 Replies latest jw friends

• The Berean
    The Berean

Who or what are we acountable to for our actions?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Atheists are accountable to society, just like everyone else.

• The Berean
    The Berean

Those who were under the control of the Watchtower Society may disagree ....

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Berean

The question is interesting, but lacks context. My initial impression of it is that there is in fact, a "code". That there is in fact, a "who" that we are accountable too?

I like drwtn32's answer. Society at large is who we are accountable to. To the extent that theistic world view philosophies are practiced and do not interfere with my own personal ethics, et al, then I am live and let live.

I am always concerned about the undercurrent of such a question, as it also implies to me that ALL must follow the same "code" instead of allowing autonomy for our neighbor to do his/her own thing. That to me is an infringment of our individuality.

• The Berean
    The Berean

So Jeff, is it anything goes according to individual perspective?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

So Jeff, is it anything goes according to individual perspective?

No.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Those who were under the control of the Watchtower Society may disagree ....

Yes, they often think that atheists are amoral. Apparently morality to them is entirely dependent on a belief in god and feeling that you must answer to him. My response to that line of thinking: "Are you saying fear of god is the only thing keeping you from killing, stealing, and raping?"

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    it also implies to me that ALL must follow the same "code" instead of allowing autonomy for our neighbor to do his/her own thing. That to me is an infringment of our individuality.

Yep. A single, universal moral code does not exist. Not even among Christians. Christians subjectively choose which bible verses they follow and which they ignore.

Morality is not absolute; it changes and evolves over time with different societies and cultures.

• The Berean
    The Berean

What keeps me from killing,stealing, and raping is fear of punishment by SOME authority ... am I alone?

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

My husbands Grandfather was an Atheist and he lived by his own personal values.It's called self respect . He believed in working hard being honest and taking care of his family and being proud of what he accomplished . People can develop honor , respect ,and discipline without being afraid they are displeasing some invisible spirit in the sky !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit