Poll: Do you believe in evolution?

by John Doe 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

4. It depends.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    No matter how you slice it, it’s just a theory!

Uh oh, here we go again!

As an explanatory system, evolution is a theory. That is the highest level of "honor" an explanatory system can reach in the world of science. It's a fact that evolution has happened though. Same with gravity: it's a fact that gravity exists; the gravitational theory is the explanatory system for how it works. Theories will never turn into "facts."

• chickpea
    chickpea

i "accept" that everything i see,
    breathe, taste, smell and
    touch is made of the dust
    particles released when a
    white dwarf goes supernova

and i am fine with # 1

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Someone probably already put this, but you don't believe in something that is falsifiable, you accept the data and the conclusion drawn from them. So I ACCEPT evolution.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Of course!

• TD
    TD

I accept the fact that new species arise from common stock and that over time, they diverge to the point where true reproductive isolation occurs.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Someone probably already put this, but you don't believe in something that is falsifiable, you accept the data and the conclusion drawn from them. So I ACCEPT evolution.

Well put, a most pragmatic approach. I also ACCEPT evolution.

• ninja
    ninja

slither......strut.......seductive pose........sorry forgot to tell you all I was a poll dancer.....ahem

• freeman
    freeman

Drwtsn32,

Re-read what I said, sorry it was meant to be humorous. I too understand what theory is. My feeble attempt at humor was based on knowing that (most) people regard a theory as less then a fact, contrasted with it’s usage in science as the explanation of the fact. Hence evolution, as you indicated, is indeed BOTH THEORY AND FACT, just like gravity.

Freeman

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Sorry Freeman, before I posted that I thought maybe you were joking. I figured I'd post anyone in case someone else thought you were serious. ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit