Poll: Do you believe in evolution?

by John Doe 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

Uno.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

As I see it, the problem with the initial question is not the word "believe" but the phrase "believe in X"; the preposition implies that faith is put in something, e.g. "Do you believe in God?" "Do you believe in life after death?" "Do you believe in Santa Claus?" In contrast, it sounds odd to ask "Do you believe in Justice Ginsburg retiring soon?" or "Do you believe in the price of oil rising by 38% in the next month?" Those are simply opinions of fact that more naturally require "believe" + a that clause ("Do you believe that Justice Ginsburg will retire soon?"). This is the more appropriate wording about one's opinion about a scientific theory, e.g. "Do you believe that evolution gives a true explanation of the interrelatedness of life?" "Do you believe that quantum physics adequately accounts for the experimental data?", etc.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Leave it to me to get a room full of pedants.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I love pedants!

• MissingLink
  • awildflower
    awildflower

It's not evolution vs creation........it's the evolution OF creation!

• Chalam
    Chalam

I believe these.

Genesis 1 (New International Version)
    The Beginning
    1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

John 1 (New International Version) 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning.

3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

All the best,

Stephen

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I just believe in me.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I believe in what Leolaia said.

Okay, put me down for #1.

Dave

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ