Which 5 Books Would You Recommend?

by leavingwt 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Which 5 Books Would You Recommend?

There is a wealth of information, just waiting to be shared with persons who have an open mind and a desire to know the truth about the Watchtower Society. Please list five books (more or less) that you would recommend to new ones.

I hope to discover something new from your lists. Feel free to comment on why a particular book was helpful/valuable to you.

Here are my Top Five.

1. Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz

2. Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassan

3. The Myth of Certainty by Daniel M. Taylor

4. Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness by Diane Wilson

5. In Search of Christian Freedom by Ray Franz

-LWT

• awildflower
    awildflower

I would also recommend these books after someone is ready to move on from religion into spirituality:

1. Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth

2. Wayne Dyer's The Tao

3. Gregg Braden's The God Code (all about the tetregrammaton)

4. Gregg Braden's The Lost Mode of Prayer (I'm really into Gregg Braden)

5. A new Bible!!!

I love this thread because I love to read and I love other peoples input!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

awildflower - Thanks for those recommendations.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Combatting Cult Mind Control and Releasing the Bonds by Steve Hassan

Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom by Ray Franz

Captives of a Concept http://www.captivesofaconcept.com/NewOrderInformation.php

Mistakes Were Made, But Not By Me http://www.amazon.com/Mistakes-Were-Made-But-ebook/dp/B000SEHKHO/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1242917878&sr=1-1

Harlot by the Side of the Road http://www.amazon.com/Harlot-Side-Road-Jonathan-Kirsch/dp/0345418824

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

OTWO - Thanks for those recommendations. I was previously unfamiliar with a couple of them.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses by Botting

Visions of Glory: A History and a Memory of Jehovah's Witnesses by Harrrison

• JeffT
    JeffT

The Kingdom of the Cults by Walter Martin and Scripture Twisting by James Sire.

Both books are a look at a broader spectrum of cult groups. What is most intresting (at least to me) is how much they are alike.

It is now a bit out of date, but when I was leaving a got a lot out of "The Four Major Cults" by Anthony Hoekema. (the other three are Mormons, Christian Scientists and 7th Day Adventists).

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Bizzy - Thanks. I would like to read that book by Botting.

JeffT - Thanks, I have Walter Martin's book. You're right, there are so many similarities among the different groups. When I was a controlled, active JW, I thought we were "special". Little did I know that there were so many groups that had the same ideas.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Visions of Glory (B. G. Harrison)

Crimes Against Logic: Opposing the bogus arguments of politicians, priests, journalists, and other serial offenders (J. Whyte)

Science, Evolution, and Creationism (National Academy of Sciences and Institue of Medicine)

Behold the Spirit: A study in the necessity of mystical religion (A. Watts)

Under the Banner of Heaven: A story of violent faith (J. Krakauer) [about fundamentalist Mormons, but the similarities to JWs are chilling]

Of Parrots and People: The sometimes funny, always fascinating, and often catastrophic collision of two intelligent species (M. Tweti) [This book is not related to the topic but I"m throwing it in anyway as it is a great read and a subject close to my heart]

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Parakeet - Thank you. Lots of new ones in there, for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit