After the Smurfs ... JWs paranoia hits again

by behemot 15 Replies latest jw friends

• behemot
    behemot

I read on an ex-JWs Italian forum that in certain congregations witnesses are getting rid of their HELLO KITTY toys. The reason? Well, it's because the Hello Kitty is mouthless ... and that's how the "story" (the metropolitan legend) goes:

Their was once a little girl who lived in China. She had cancer in her mouth, her mother (or, according to a different version, her father) would suffer alot and all she/he wanted was her/his daughter to get better and find a cure. Since she/he couldn't find a good cure, one day he/she made a special deal with the devil and promised him if he cured her/his daughter she/he would make a really famous and successful brand directly for him in exchange for her/his daughter's cure. Time went by her daughter got cured but could no longer speak because her vocal cords were damaged ... so her mother/father made the mouthless Hello Kitty toy ... oh, as a side note rumors are that "kitty" means "devil" in Chinese ... g o figure.

Behemot

• behemot
    behemot

Sorry it's almost unreadable, I'm reposting it bigger:

I read on an ex-JWs Italian forum that in certain congregations witnesses are getting rid of their HELLO KITTY toys. The reason? Well, it's because the Hello Kitty is mouthless ... and that's how the "story" (the metropolitan legend) goes:

Their was once a little girl who lived in China. She had cancer in her mouth, her mother (or, according to a different version, her father) would suffer alot and all she/he wanted was her/his daughter to get better and find a cure. Since she/he couldn't find a good cure, one day he/she made a special deal with the devil and promised him if he cured her/his daughter she/he would make a really famous and successful brand directly for him in exchange for her/his daughter's cure. Time went by her daughter got cured but could no longer speak because her vocal cords were damaged ... so her mother/father made the mouthless Hello Kitty toy ... oh, as a side note rumors are that "kitty" means "devil" in Chinese ... g o figure.

Behemot

• angeleyes110900
    angeleyes110900

OMG! I believe the governing body's hearts are so wicked, that they try to find wicked in everything. My daughter's bedroom is nothing but hello kitty, and it's nothing but a harmless cute animal figure, that girls think are cute and girlie!!! Wow, this just blows my mind, although it shouldn't, considering i was told by my aunt when i was a small child that smurfs were demonic????

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

Wow.

So, will this bit of superstitious drivel deter me from visiting one of my favorite sites, coincidentally named Hello Kitty Hell? Of course not!

http://www.kittyhell.com/

Hello Kitty Hell. Read it and squeal/scream!

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Why should it surprise us that JWs are often extremely superstitious? I know lots of them that won't go to doctors because they distrust modern medicine, and avoid all sorts of ordinary things because they live in dread of demonic influence or possession.

They read magazines with stories about Witnesses defeating voodoo witch doctors with prayer, but the next issue has an article on not to listen to propaganda or be superstitious.

There's definitely a mixed message about the supernatural, and it's confusing. I had sisters come into my house, see my science fiction book collection and tell me I must have demons in my house because those books were full of imaginary things like telepathy and aliens. There was never a clear distinction made in their minds between what is simply imaginary and what is supernatural.

I heard so many stupid debates about whether Harry Potter was "demonic" or not and I just kept saying to myself, "But...it's not REAL!"

They were acting as if the made up magical world of Harry Potter was a real threat, something they had to be afraid of. So weird.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have never before heard of "Hello Kitty" but I am sure that a number of Witnesses are perfectly capable of falling for this kind of rumour and nonsense.

Like Smurfs, though nothing has been said about them by the G B ,,,this kind of thing comes from the ground up - albeit based on "principles" laid down in print

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And the witlesses claim to not be superstitious. Just remember, most of our common superstitions started during the First Dark Ages (including the black cat, the mirror, the walking under the ladders, Friday (or Tuesday) the 13th, and so many others. Now, the Washtowel Slaveholdery is trying to start superstitions of their own--bad songs, most toys, the Internet, the Ouija board, and so on. Anything that competes with field circus is supposed to bring the demons in (their rendition of "bad luck" is that Satan is in something).

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

My opinion, either some JW's started the rumor because they didn't want their daughters to have all that Hello Kitty junk,
    or some brilliant (note the word "brilliant" would be sarcastic) JW noticed the word "Hell" at the beginning of the name, hence it must be the Hell Kitty.

If you watch this entire short video, you might think Hello Kitty is Satanic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YluDS-6LoB4

• still_in74
    still_in74

good lord.

i remember hearing in the 80's that "smurf" meant "demon" in German!!!!!!!!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Along the same line....back in the 70's there was some WTS garbage that unicorns were demonic like the Smurfs were soon to be seen as....

I had befriended a newly-interest one (tm) whose young daughter had a lovely and colorful poster of a unicorn covered with garlands of flowers....hanging on her bedroom door. Being the "spiritually strong" (tm) pest that I was....I gently informed her that "we" should not have pictures of these fantasy creatures in our homes etc. Needless to say the poster stayed up for as long as I knew these people....and my "wise WTS counsel" was NOT appreciated.

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit