God, Morals, and Atheists

by UnDisfellowshipped 151 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Its true, when I watch the monkeys at the zoo, my mirror neurons drive me to scratch and fling poo.

BTS

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon
    The key is exploring common ground and an allowance for the autonomy of the individual. (an experiment that seems to have failed thus far in human history. Maybe we are finally at the point where it could work??)

Until we can eliminate narcissisistic(?) tendencies we will still need laws, whether they come from government, religion, or both the result is the same, fear of punishment, and promise of reward, (whether it's real or not it doesn't matter it only matters that the ruled believe it) helps to keep all but the most pathological in line, and therefore allows a society to flourish.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

SacrificialLoon,

I do believe it is more likely that someone who believes that there is no ultimate right and wrong would come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with hurting other people, than someone who believes there is an Objective Moral Law given by a Moral Law-Giver.

For example, what could possibly happen if we teach all of our children that there is no such thing as a real right and wrong? Or, if we tell them, you have to be good "JUST BECAUSE" ?

But, that does not prove my argument one way or the other. My argument is found in my first post in this thread.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Prisons are full of believers.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

The Gulags especially.

BTS

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Anyway, I think I've made the case the best way I could have. I'm sleepy, and I'm going to bed for tonight. I'll debate more on here tomorrow.

(thanks for all your posts so far! I do like hearing and examining all sides of an argument)

• beksbks
    beksbks

Burn, you're skipping again.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Good point, bts, it sounds morally right to throw crap BACK at those monkies;)

S

Ps, undis, i'm actually not atheist. I'm pantheist, pagan, animist, mystical farthead;)

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Of course, why wouldn't God love, and forgive a narcissisist?

Good thing most people aren't completely credulous.

Prison isn't a fun place to be (I'd imagine) so they do reach for that opiate of the masses thing.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Satanus, I thought you were actually Canadian???

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit