God, Morals, and Atheists

by UnDisfellowshipped 151 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

bksbks said:

"I think religion has done far more harm than good in this world."

But, once again, you are making objective moral claims about what is "good" or "bad." Based on what, though, since according to the naturalistic worldview, there is no objective "good" or "bad."

How do you define "harm" or "good"? Based on what standard?

George Washington didn't agree with you. See the quotes I posted above.

----------------------------------------

QuietlyLeaving said:

"my very simple answer to your very complicated question is that there is objective thinking. It seems to me that by dismissing all human thinking, for example, as subjective, you are missing this important point."

I agree with you totally 100% -- there are indeed objective morals and objective thinking in humans. But, if naturalism is true, how do you explain objective moral standards?

Objective morals and objective thinking in humans is totally inconsistent with the total worldview of Naturalism. The two cannot be reconciled.

Caedes said:

"So what you are admitting there is that atheism is internally consistant and entirely consistant with moral behaviour with no objective morality required. So your argument is entirely void."

If you look closely at what I was saying (or at least this is what I was trying to say), naturalists would need to show me that there is evidence that the physical world ALONE can cause human beings to have an awareness that they should have morals, apart from any Beyond-Nature Cause, in order for me to believe that. Then, and only then, would I admit that it is possibly true. Why should I believe in the worldview of Naturalism (the belief that there CANNOT BE anything beyond nature) for which there is no evidence provided? Just because something is INTERNALLY consistant does not mean it is true. All of the premises have to be true also. If all of the premises are true, and it is internally consistant, then I will believe it.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Also, for those of you who were asking me to provide a "Universal Moral" that all people have, here is one:

* The moral belief that it is good that people tell you the truth, and that it is wrong for them to lie to you.

Notice, it's not a universal moral that people WILL NOT lie to others, but it is a universal moral that others SHOULD NOT lie to us.

You do not believe that it is right for others to lie to YOU.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Why do religious people believe morality has to be absolute? Why can't morality be a continuum from subjective to objective?

Society, culture, or we on an individual level decide what is moral right or wrong. Morality evolves with culture, especially when it comes to "gray" areas. Some moral issues are quite black/white and approach the "objective" side of the spectrum. These types of things are generally viewed as wrong by all people in all cultures in any time.

Humanity will never agree 100% on every moral issue.

Even if someone believes morality should be entirely objective and based on the bible, then you are left with myriad subjective interpretations of that same bible. Which scriptures do we follow? Which do we ignore?

I hope we ignore the scriptures about stoning disobedient children. Or eating bacon. I like bacon.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Hey undisfellowshipped, it's nice that you took the time to answer most of the questions you have been asked (very good questions btw). I think I ask you a good one I would like to know what your answer is because it's questions I ask a lot of bible believers and I usually don't get a straight answer.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

thanks for answering my question too undisfellowshipped. I think you'll find that my point at the top of this page addresses your question below.

QuietlyLeaving said:

"my very simple answer to your very complicated question is that there is objective thinking. It seems to me that by dismissing all human thinking, for example, as subjective, you are missing this important point."

I agree with you totally 100% -- there are indeed objective morals and objective thinking in humans. But, if naturalism is true, how do you explain objective moral standards?

Objective morals and objective thinking in humans is totally inconsistent with the total worldview of Naturalism. The two cannot be reconciled.

btw what is the new worldview of naturalism? meanwhile here is my answer (repeated from the top of this page) to your above quesiton

okay, something interesting regarding morals originating within an evolutionary paradigm, that has had its predictions tested and is now well supported by research and experimentation (waving to spooks), is indirect reciprocity - a pro-social mechanism.

Indirect reciprocity among humans apparently goes hand hand with language development. This has to do with third party info (reliable gossip that is) about indivduals and groups and which serve as means of co-operation.

as for absolute moral standards (from one of your other posts)- imo they would cause more injustice than justice and would in fact paint a God who enforces absolute moral standards as an unjust God who favours one group of people over another

• Caedes
    Caedes

Will try again later to see if i can get the formatting to work.

• Spook
    Spook

Undisfellowshipped,

My comment regarding the length of your post was more of a pre-comment concession that I was going to be brief and not fully rise to all of your points than it was a criticism of your length. By all means, speak at the length you choose.

Spook said:

"An evidential scientistic naturalism would more accurately be stated as follows:

"Since by observation most things are best understood naturally, then probably as a provisional belief, those things which lack full natural explanations due to limitations on observation are very likely natural as well."

I don't have a problem with that, but why should we accept a "provisionary belief" in a natural cause for things in which science cannot even measure, such as who or what existed before the physical Universe, and the existence of rational inference (which cannot fit into an only-physical world)?

This is an example of "Hume's Guillotine" going on (Treatise On Human Nature). My statement is an "is" statement. Your response is an "ought" statement. If I introduced normative language it wouldn't mean much unless we had first agreed on what we "ought" to do. If there isn't an absolute "ought" about what we should do, that's fine be me, I'm not defending absolute normative judgements. My statement stands as an asessment of the natural world which is almost uncontestable or at least as broadly accepted as any idea could reasonably be.

I'd prefer not to use normative language here. I'll again use a description:

1. People accept this naturalistic conclusion in most situations becuase of the function of the mind, unless they have a strong personal reason to do otherwise, all esle being equal.

2. Unless strong personal reasons to disbelieve in naturalism can be established broadly to other people, then the naturalist has no rational reason to abandon naturalism.

3. Furthermore, when categories of "strong personal reasons" can be broadly examined under naturalism, at least some strong personal reasons can be rationally rejected.

4. The naturalistic assumption can then be applied to strong personal reasons and becomes stronger if it is true that "Since most personal reasons to believe in God are either logically incompatible with the identical reasons held by others or else have natural explanations, then probably any given anecdotal reason to believe in God should be rejected.

1:) Physical matter came into existence.

2:) Physical matter could not have existed before it came into existence.

3:) Therefore, there is no physical cause for physical matter coming into existence.

The phlosophical problems with (1) flow from the lack of information and the limitation of our use of language. Here are some facts to consider:

1. That anything has "come into existance" is very different than thinking in terms of "cause." Words like "physical" tend to confuse what is at issue. For example, does your definition of "Physical" include energy? Does it include non-theistic metaphysical concepts?

2. Premise (3) does not follow from premise (1), even if premise one were true. Your usage of cause has many implications theists don't usually deal with. By cause, we generally mean that any state of affairs characterized by the set of situations {Sa, Sb, Sc...Sn} at time Tn, had a temporally prior state of {S-a, S-b,S-c....S-n} at T-n. In general, if something "had to have a cause" then it "had to have a prior state." If it didn't have a prior state, it didn't have a cause. Inserting a metapysical entity which "exists" but "doesn't exist" in any common understanding of words will always be an argument from ignorance or a case of special pleading. That the universe had some state {Sa0, Sb0, Sc0....Sn0} in no way entails that this state was non-existance. I also falsifies the claim that it could have a prior "cause."

What we know about the early history of the universe is tentative and abstract to a profoucnd degree. If the theist wants to latch on to this as some certain scientific conclusion, then by their same judgements I would hold that they have to accept biological evolution, in general. Because the latter is much better supported by any standard of evidence than any of the claims about the early history of the universe. If we can't know the latter, we can't know the former.

On the language, feeling we have a responsibility is different from a metaphysical responsibility actually existing. Feeling like we have "absolute" or "objective" moral values is different than them existing. I don't have to account for the existance of something which I don't think exists.

Further we already agreed there is more evidence for naturalism, unless you're recounting that. Your claim entails the assumption that the magnitude of one or a few lines of evidence is so great that the majority of evidence should be ignored. I have demonstrated that we don't know or can't know that.

You are still right to say

"If the universe began to exist and it is possible for something else to exist not included in the universe, then it is possible that this something is God."

But if you assume that, then it is just as possible, in this state of complete hypothetical ignorance, that any number of hypothetical non-theistic possibilities could equally answer this dilemma.

The description of "faith" or "trust" if you'd rather is your judgement and belongs in another argument. This argument could take the form of...

1. Since we all get our information from either the external environment or else existential personal experiences, we cannot be fully confident in the truth of anything.

2. Any "knowledge" claim therefore involves a degree of trust in others or ourself.

3. (For some reason) It is more legitimate to trust one's own personal experiences than it is to trust the consensus of empirical information as conveyed by others because the former involves trusting one person (yourself) while the latter involves trusting many people.

I'll leave that one.

I'll also leave the AFE, since my main contention with your criticism contained in the argument from morals has already been stated by me: The naturalist, even if absolute standards of right and wrong don't exist can still falsify the theists argument for TWO reasons:

1. He can use the theists own definitions as contained in the argument to internally falsify the claim.

2. He can argue EVIDENTIALLY from more/less better/worse in objective terms. LESS suffering is different from "no" suffering. This is stronger because then theists often have to defend why we have the "optimum" level of suffering according to God's highest priority.

• Spook
    Spook

* The moral belief that it is good that people tell you the truth, and that it is wrong for them to lie to you.

That is neither absolute nor a value. It is perhaps a rule in the way you describe it.

I, for example, believe the "goodnes" of true information is closely related to its outcome. False information can be much better than true information.

I don't believe it is good that people always tell me the truth. At best this is something that is often or usually the case. There is a significant selection of events where this would not be the case. And even if I am the only one who has ever felt this way, I still falsify your theory.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I'm sorry, I've only been half paying attention to this six page thread. What exactly is "the naturalistic worldview"? Is there a book of guidelines? I can only speak for my own worldview, and what makes sense to me. I happen to believe empathy is at the root of "morals" if you want to use that term. It's pretty simple. If my actions hurt another, or even allow another to be hurt, that to me is the core of "morals". Brand new babies in the nursery at the hospital will cry when another cries. Empathy. I just read something yesterday about early man and cooperation. It's hot wired in, probably to protect the species. We are social animals. We need each other.

PS, that George Washington quote is not accurate, even though it can be found all over the web (http://www.religioustolerance.org/badquotes.htm). Sam Adams believed we needed religion. To keep the masses under control. That does not equate to morals in my opinion.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Anti-Christ said:

"So on what do you base your morality? On what Yahweh decides? then is it not based on his opinion of what is right and what is wrong? Was it wrong for your god to commit genocide? was it wrong for your god to kill thousands of babies? Was it wrong for your god to allow Israelites to take the women of their enemies captive and keep them for themselves"

That is a very, very good question. Thank you for bringing it up!

In my Christian worldview (and this is the view C.S. Lewis, Victor Reppert, and Norman Geisler shared), is that our objective moral standard of what is right and wrong comes from within God's own unchanging Nature (the goodness that is God's very nature). God's Nature is Goodness, Justice, Love, and Wisdom.

The Bible says that God can never go against His own Nature (for instance, it says it is impossible for God to lie, and impossible for Him to sin, and that God's Nature never changes)

God decreed (in harmony with His Nature of Justice and Goodness) that if humans rebelled and sinned against Him, they would be punished with suffering and death, they would be cursed (along with the entire earth and creation on earth).

God, as the Life-Giver, Law-Giver, and Judge, has the authority and right to punish sinners with death or suffering when He so chooses (in harmony with His own Nature of Goodness and Justice).

It's not the case that Yahweh arbitrarily chooses on a whim what Laws should exist. He doesn't say, "On Monday, I'll outlaw genocide, but on Tuesday, I'll allow it," and so on.

But, it's also not the case that there is some kind of "Eternal Law" out there that is separate from Yahweh, that He is obligated to follow.

No, Yahweh's unchanging Nature is His Standard of conduct. And His Nature simply IS. It cannot change. It has always existed, and always will exist the way that it is.

God can never do anything contrary to His own unchanging Nature of Goodness and Justice, Love and Wisdom.

Not only that, Yahweh is a Tri-Personal Being, which means that He has always been existing in a relationship of Goodness, Love, Justice, and Wisdom.

But, according to the total worldview of Naturalism and Atheism, you would have no objective moral standard to say that genocide or killing babies is wrong, UNLESS you say that a Divine Law-Giver does exist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit