70 years = 607?

by allelsefails 421 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BarefootServant
    BarefootServant

Scholar said:

In short the scriptural basis for 537 BCE is based on the last few verses of 2 Chronicles and the introductory chapters of Ezra so I have answered your question, solved your problem

Thank you Scholar, it would have been good if you had solved your problem. I've read those scriptures and they do not tell us anything at all about the elapsed time between Cyrus' announcement, and the exiles' arrival in Jerusalem. Even the exact timing of the announcement is ambiguous. Maybe you have realised this yourself since you are now backtracking:

From these texts one can see that there is an adequate historical basis for the Return by the seventh month 537 BCE.

So, you appear to accept that you only have scriptures which are "adequate" to provide a historical "basis" for a theory that the date of the exiles' return was 537 BCE. If the historical basis is only "adequate" for a theory that the date is 537 BCE, how can you possibly claim that just by adding 70 years to that date you suddenly have the bible proving that 607 BCE is the "only possible" date for the destruction of Jerusalem? By your own words that claim is manifestly untrue.

You have failed to provide scriptural support for your assertion, and you have failed to provide references to any of the many independent scholars whom you claimed could absolutely verify 537 BCE as the date of the return. You have no proof, scriptural or otherwise, that 607 BCE is the start date for any bible prophecy and it is time you faced up to the fact that those dates were man made in order to provide the date 1914.

BFS

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Barefoot Servant

Post 64

The calculation of 537 BCE for the Return and the related texts have been widely discussed so if you have our publications then you can easily work the matter out. It is not rocket science so if you have the smarts then you can easily research the matter.

scholar JW

Yes pseudo, it is speculation on a possibility...something that WT lit even uses qulaifying phrases on such as "It is reasonable" "It is likely" etc...There is nothing smart about it. LOL

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

isaac austin

Post 1294

I agree that the contect does indicate servitude of the nations to Babylon during the seventy years of Judean servitude but we have no precise chronologies of Babylonian domination of those nations as we have with Jeremiah's prophecy against Judah.

It is absurd to claim that the seventy years ended with the Fall of Babylon in 539 BCE, it is simply a false and impossible claim but you are entitrled to your view and on this point we agree to disagree.

scholar JW

Absurd? No, just clearly stated in Jeremiah. That's good enough for me. Not good enough for someone who has to back up the WT.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Mad Dawg

Post 129

The Bible proves that 607BCE is the only possible date for the Fall of Jerusalem and such evidence has been presented so I suggest you submit your application to pioneer but you should brush up on your knowledge first.

scholar JW

Pseudo, the Bible shows 607BCE to be imposible....If it shows it to be true why do not you present this evidence that you speak so assertivly of.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

isaac austin

Post 1296

I agree and because our calculation is based on the Bible and in harmony with its entirety, simple to explain and understand proves the validity of the interpretation.

No psedo, your calculation is based on the WT date of 1914....

The historical evidence supports 607 BCE rather than the fictitious dates of 586 or 587BCE but more importantly our date is biblically based because it considers the historical period of the seventy years. Your dates do not consider the 70 years as a fixed historical period so your comments are foolish.

There is absolutely no, none at all, historical evidence to substantiate 607BCE. Where are your 'celebrated Wt scholars'?? Name them, if they in fact exist and are what you claim. My dates absolutely consider the 70 years- the 70 years that Babylon as a supreme power. Your dates ignore that and that is the entire context of Jeremiah 25.

Your regnal based chronology based on Ptolemy's Canon does not account for the seventy years whereas our superior event-based chronology does.

scholar JW

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

OUTLAW

Post 11418

Alan F was vanquished by scholar on every occasion and this is a matter of public record for the very fact that scholar disputed on every occasion over many years proves that scholar was a most worthy opponent and he is still going strong whereas Alan F has retreated into his hole defeated by scholar. The same could also be said of Jeffro and many others who sought to defeat scholar on chronology.

scholar JW

My reply: Not the impression readin gthose posts showed my pseudo. You got slaaped down pretty hard on each occasion. That's what happens when you are trying to uphold a lie.

allelsefails

Post 48

Interpretations belong to God who has always and at the present reveals such matters to His servants, the True Church who then have the responsibilty of making known to others such interpretations. You need to read Daniel carefully verse by verse and read other commentaries on the book including those published by the WT Society. The book of Daniel most certainly abounds with moth literal and figurative elements so the problem is for you to deal with not me.

scholar JW

My reply: Ah, so you need a WT commentary to reach thse conclusions. Quite telling pseudo...thanks for the admission

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Scholar, I see that you are claiming that the destruction of Jerusalem was 70 years before the return in 537. I will grant that as your first step. Can you prove, using the Bible only, that the return was 537 years before the common era? Remember use only the Bible, nothing else. Instead of claiming over and over that it does prove it, cite the verses. I really want to know. Help me out here.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

OUTLAW

Post 11463

No one has beaten scholar for he is too smart for apostates and atheists such as Alan F, scholar kicks ass when he has to.

scholar JW

In your dreams pseudo. You have simply made bold assertions and nothing else.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Barefoot Servant

Post 65

The scriptures provide the historical facts that enable a competent scholar to calculate the precise date for the Return and this was 537 BCE which is the view of most scholars. Thus there is solid biblical and historical evidence for the date of 607 BCE beginning the definite historic period of seventy years nicely ending in 537 BCE. Therefore with all of this abundant evidence we can be confident that 1914 CE marked the end of the Gentile Times which began in 607 BCE. The evidence from all sides testifies to these facts . In fact it is demonic to ignore these facts and rely upon a chronology that proposes other false dates such as 586/587 which negate prophecy.

scholar JW

Pseudo,

The scriptures provide fact- that the 70 yrs end with Babylonian supremacy ending. This happened in 539BCE. They bible states they rules 70 yrs. They did. There is no biblical, or otherwise, evidence for the 607 BCE date. The only statements supporting 607BCE are out of the WT pubs- but they are no evidence at all....1914 is simply a date of failed prophecy of CTR, who decided to recreate its meaning and pretend it was fulfilled as he said. 586/587 is indisputable, and verified by the Bible, archaeology, astronomical records, regnal chronology, banking records, etc. Those who follow the 607 WT chronolgy are blinded by the Devil....thru his agent the WT. Your silence and ignoring of repeated requests for the identity of these 'celebrated Wt scholars' speaks volumes of their credentials and existance.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

The following scriptures explain the validity of the 537 BCE. 2 Chron. 36:22-23 explains the issuing of the Decree by Cyrus which would release the Jews this decree was promulgated in his first year. Ezra 1discusses further the Decree and chapter 2 discusses the preparations which by the time of the seventh month 537 BCe the Jews had already returned home, pleas not Ezra 3:8. From these texts one can see that there is an adequate historical basis for the Return by the seventh month 537 BCE.

In short the scriptural basis for 537 BCE is based on the last few verses of 2 Chronicles and the introductory chapters of Ezra so I have answered your question, solved your problem

scholar JW

My reply: pseudo, what exactly are you claiming to be a scholar in?? Ezra 1 says Cyrus in his first year gave his decree allowing the jews to return. Cyrus 1st year was Nisan 538BCE through Adar (which is Feb/Mar) 537 BCE. All history books confirm this. There is nothing in the Bible saying exactly when Cyrus issued his decree. Nothing at all. Ezra 3;1-7 says that the Jews were settled in their cities in the 7th month (Tishri- Sept/Oct) and they were at the temple to sacrifice and collect money to rebuild the temple. The secular jewish year began in Tishri. The year the Jews returned to Jerusalem was the first year they came back. The new year that began in Tishri was their 2nd yr home. Ezra 3:1 says:

1 Now when the seventh month came, after the Israelites had settled in their cities, the people gathered at Jerusalem as one man.

"After they had settled home"- the second year they were home.

Ezra 3:8-10

In the year after their coming to the house of God in Jerusalem, in the second month, Zerubbabel, son of Shealtiel, and Jeshua, son of Jozadak, together with the rest of their brethren, the priests and Levites and all who had come from the captivity to Jerusalem, began by appointing the Levites twenty years of age and over to supervise the work on the house of the LORD.
    Jeshua and his sons and brethren, with Kadmiel and Binnui, son of Henadad, and their sons and their brethren, the Levites, stood as one man to supervise those who were engaged in the work on the house of God.
    When the builders had laid the foundation of the LORD'S temple, the vested priests with the trumpets and the Levites, sons of Asaph, were stationed there with the cymbals to praise the LORD in the manner laid down by David, king of Israel.

Temple foundations laid later that 2nd year after they returned, in the 2nd month. This is the same year that the Jews gathered in jerusalem after their return to Judah.

Lets look at what your friend Josephus said shall we?

Against Apion I,21:

These accounts agree with the true histories in our books; for in them it is written that Nebuchadnezzar, in the eighteenth year of his reign, laid our temple desolate, and so it lay in that state of obscurity for fifty years; but that in the second year of the reign of Cyrus its foundations were laid , and it was finished again in the second year of Darius.

2nd year of Cyrus. Ezra says 2nd yr, 2nd month. Cyrus began to reign in Nisan 537 BCE- all historians agree. Since they returned the prior year, what year does that mean???? 538BCE. Guess you may need to find some new 'celebrated scholars" who are not of the WT, eh pseudo?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit