Has Your Personality Changed Since Leaving The Witnesses?

by minimus 54 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

I think the WT's sick, judgmental mentality affected us all.

Now, my attitude is the same as that of my late Grandma (who lived until 104): I'm like the jug handle - on the outside!

Sylvia

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Yes.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, yeah, and was it ever a change for the better! Like GubberningBody said, "I believe that the cult-world of the JW creates an invisible crowd around you..." For me, it was more like there was an invisible WALL around me... One I was always struggling to get thru.

Anyone here remember the old "Twilight Zone" or maybe it was "Outer Limits" episode where the hubby brings home an alien who has a button on his wrist that causes an invisible force field to form around him, and wifey gets the idea she and hubby can get rich from it? She steals the button and ends up locked inside the invisible wall, dying from lack of oxygen. Before the alien dies, he sets her free, but her mind has snapped and she still thinks she's inside the wall.... That sums up my feelings of having been in the WTBTS...

Like ScarredForLife said, "I can still remember that my stress level went way down. It was such a relief. I never looked back. I no longer worried about following the "rules"... being raised a Witness caused me to have very low self-esteem..." That's one reason I took up bellydancing immediately after leaving the B-org... The reduction of stress switched my personality from - as boyzone said, "The Org made me hard, black and white, no compromise..." That bit about being 'pressured by Satan' made me hard; I saw things only in black-and-white (and BOY! Did I ever hear about that from other people!) and not likely to compromise. Also made me VERY UNPOPULAR...

Like UnderCover said, "I can also enjoy things that come natural to me or spark my interest. If I see a movie that looks interesting, I don't have to worry about the rating or worry if someone will see me at the theater..." Yes, yes, right on! I don't have to worry - worry - worry... Also, as UnderCover said, "I sense that I'm not as angry as I used to be. I've learned to let sh*t go." Since I don't have to WORRY about the rigid mental and behavioral straitjacket of the WTBTS anymore, the feelings of freedom caused the anger to evaporate.

As WTWizard said, "I also worry less about things common to the world... When I was a witless, I would not feel good around worldly situations--that are harmless. (Not every worldly situation involves robbing a store or getting AIDS)...." I have found that there's so much FUN to be had once one stops seeing 'DEMONS' and 'SIN' and 'Jehovah's going to KILL YOU AT ARMAGEDDON' around every corner.

I went to all the movies that once were condemned by the WTBTS. "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" - I became a fan, have attended several midnight showings, great fun! Saw "Pan's Labyrinth", "Tu Verdener", and so on, and found them all entertaining and/or deeply thought-provoking.

As Mouthy said, "I was ... judgemental, superior..." I was not very much fun to be around. While in the WTBTS I had NO friends - REAL friends, that is. Now that I'm out - well, my surrogate mother just sent me the nicest thank-you card - she LOVED the duster-style vest I sent her for Mother's DAy!!

Everybody had such wonderful comments - they were so much more expressive than mine, so I quoted - A LOT! Thanks! Zid

• His Excellency
  • Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Hubby & I have noticed a big difference. We're more tolerant of people in general. Non-JW's aren't evil and trying to make us sin, there are actually some really nice people out there and we're making some good friends that isn't based on conditional love. They don't care if we go to the meetings or not. Stress level has gone way down.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

Nope, I am the still very happy, gentle fellow I have always been.

I would let the WT EVER change that.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

YESSSSS!

I am HAPPIER!

I am starting to accept myself for who I am rather than feeling stressed out because of never running fast enough on the Watchtower treadmill.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

I haven't really noticed but my co-workers keep telling me that I seem happier and more upbeat... I'll take it...

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

Been out 27 years. Happier, educated, worked in my field of CHOICE, not cleaning toilets or washing windows. I feel satisfied with myself; at peace. Oh I have flaws that I would like to overcome, but I do not mind chalking my flaws up to being a human.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Yes, for the better.

It remains an ongoing process after 3 generations and 4 decades of contamination by the "ruling religious clergy class" and their putrid written and verbal excrement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit