Has Your Personality Changed Since Leaving The Witnesses?

by minimus 54 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I used to be nervous around worldly people, now I feel way more comfortable with everyone.

I also feel like my head has cleared. I used to try and fit everything into the JW mode, and sometimes it was hard, what with ridiculous elders giving crazy counsel, gossip, and the WT teachings, that I used to love to study, but became harder to accept.

So I feel more like a real person.

I can also see things better. I used to think that the GB was really God's appointed group. I took photos with them, gave them money.

I listened to my fellow elders more than others, because I thought they had Holy Spirit.

Now I think for myself.

BF

• NEWWORLDSLACKER
    NEWWORLDSLACKER

Yeah I would say I've changed quite a bit since I was a dub. I'm much more confident, educated and much more comfortable in my sin . Ok I meant to say skin... made a typo and left it. Fitting as it's my first post here in years. BTW wasn't my post count over 3k? Hmm things have changed around here as well i see!

Bless up!

• wobble
    wobble

Welcome back NWS!

I don't think my personality has changed much (too old?)

But like you Bonafide,I am more relaxed with everybody,even those Dubs I meet sometimes, and I see things much more clearly.especially scriptural things,no more WT goggles to distort the vision.

I LOVE being out of the WTB$!!!!! Freedom!!!!!!

Love

Wobble

• undercover
    undercover

Workmates have told me that I seem to have loosened up...and they didn't know of my journey out of the JWs. They just noticed I had changed somehow.

And they're right...I have loosened up. I'm not concerned so much about what others think about me, especially JWs.

It's tough having lived your whole life having to worry about what every little thing you do reflects on the organization. Once you realize that you don't have to do that, you find life a little easier and less stressful. That's not to say, I don't have financial worries or health worries like a lot of other people, but as I deal with those circumstances as most other also have to, I don't have to consider how any decision I make will impact my standing o the congregation of if will stumble someone, etc.

I can also enjoy things that come natural to me or spark my interest. If I see a movie that looks interesting, I don't have to worry about the rating or worry if someone will see me at the theater. I enjoy live music but was pretty conservative about what shows I would see as a JW. Now, if it interets me, I go and enjoy. Even little things like having a martini at a bar is relaxing and enjoyable where before I might not do it in case another JW saw me and was stumbled.

I sense that I'm not as angry as I used to be. I've learned to let shit go. That includes some of the anger and bitterness I had toward the religion. I can't change them, I can't stop them, but I'm free, they don't control me, so I have to let it go. My only obstacle is to try to get some of my immediate family out. That's the struggle.

But they've noticed a change for the better. Even though they're not happy with my being inactive, they seem to notice that I'm easier going and less argumentative. I'm more laid back than ever before. They like that. Lord help them if they ever witness me after a toke...I'm about comatose calm then...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I no longer judge people by what is in the Washtowel articles or the other littera-trash from the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger. If a person wants to smoke, for instance, I will not judge it as wicked (stupid, yes--it is a waste of money and ruins your health, but not wicked). If someone doesn't read the Bible, so be it. If someone likes R- or X-rated movies or rap music, no problem. If it has been 50 years or more since someone last went to church, I have no problem with it.

I also worry less about things common to the world. While I was a witless, I would worry about the Christmas songs, knowing that it is about 10% of the year and that they would soon be coming up. Now I accept them--and even listen to some of them. When I was a witless, I would not feel good around worldly situations--that are harmless. (Not every worldly situation involves robbing a store or getting AIDS). And, I used to worry about the end of the month and have to do at least some field circus so I could report it, or worse, have my field circus time being a bit low--around 10 hours--and have to jack it up some before the end of the month. No more.

• megaflower
    megaflower

I have redeveloped my critical thinking skills. As a JW the ORG told us how to live, now I say how I will live. This has brought about much peace and happyness. I love not being on"thier leash anymore".

• passwordprotected
  • snowbird
    snowbird

Yes sirree, Bob!

For the better.

Sylvia

• mouthy
    mouthy

Changed you bet your life I have.

I was a judgemental,superior,nasty ,robot.
    who enjoyed bashings because I was in the "truth"

NOW??I dont judge anyone,I know I am not very smart.
    ( because they told me reading all their trash would give me
    a college education.I forgive any one ( well nearly all lol)
    I make friends very easily...Instead of telling all I meet
    how wonderful the WT is! I NOW spend all my life telling all
    how wonderful it is to be OUT of that distructive cult...

• minimus
    minimus

Those of us that have learned to be les judgemental are better off for it. Now if someone isn't doing something considered "right", I don't care. As long as it doesn't affect me in a negative way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit