Has Your Personality Changed Since Leaving The Witnesses?

by minimus 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

It's been 37 years but I can still remember that my stress level went way down. It was such a relief. I never looked back.

I no longer worried about following the "rules" or living a double life.

I also think that being raised a Witness caused me to have very low self-esteem. I've never really been able to overcome that. I'm still trying.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Scarred, me and you baby. I haven't been out as long, but everything you said is spot on.

• beksbks
    beksbks

SLoon!! you're an animal!!!

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I believe that the cult-world of the JW creates an invisible crowd around you so that you don't reach out or relate to others as well as you should if your were really being Christ-like.

I very much agree with you.

And I love your film clip. Very accurate parallel. That could be a film about JWs instead of Naxis.

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

I definitely changed, but it took eight years. I am now confident and not afraid to show my intelligence. The best part is that I can now spend time with men without worrying that they think I am angling for a marriage proposal. I always hated how every pimple faced jerk off at every assembly, wedding, etc thought I was trying to catch him in a marriage trap.

"Worldly", read normal, men tend to be less arrogant. A few exceptions of course!

Angie

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Actually since my presence at the hall went from visible to inisible I became more spiritual. MUCH more spiritual in fact. I read a couple of different Bibles and never the NWT. The wt must be right, I read the Bible without their Bible filtering crap and I am now an apostate!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I'm not an A hole. I'm a dick. My "old" personality is best desired

• boyzone
    boyzone

The change was radical with me and still ongoing. I was a fat, arrogant roly-poly spitfire.

The Org made me hard, black and white, no compromise. Now I'm far more reasonable and relaxed. Much happier and alot less stressed - and 70lb lighter!

And boy! Does all this help the ole confidence, especially when I gotta deal with the shunning every day.

I'm not "there" yet, but I'm alot better. x

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Gubberning said: It reminded me of the scene in the movie "Cabaret" where this clean young hitler youth sings "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" and then everyone gets upand begins singing too... Only we know the "Tomorrow" these were looking towards DIDN'T belong to those who were unlike them. I saw Jehovah's Witnesses singing this song and it horrified me.

Yikes. I have certainly never thought of it in quite that light before...

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I used to be nervous around worldly people, now I feel way more comfortable with everyone.

I also feel like my head has cleared. I used to try and fit everything into the JW mode, and sometimes it was hard, what with ridiculous elders giving crazy counsel, gossip, and the WT teachings, that I used to love to study, but became harder to accept.

So I feel more like a real person.

I can also see things better. I used to think that the GB was really God's appointed group. I took photos with them, gave them money.

I listened to my fellow elders more than others, because I thought they had Holy Spirit.

Now I think for myself.

BF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit