The cost of going undercover to help family and friends - Is it worth it?

by BonaFide 44 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think you may endure if you have hope and you have a plan. Here's a living example of this strategy at work. The author posts here as Amazing.

http://www.freeminds.org/support/restoring-family/case-example-of-talking-to-my-family.html

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's an interesting blog exploring the difference between influence and manipulation.

http://gevron.livejournal.com/18778.html

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

An illustration was once used in the WT to describe how best to help worldy people come into the organization. Can't remember it fully, but it was along the lines of .... 'if someone was in a dirty puddle would you step into the puddle in order to help them out?' The point of this was that you wouldn't become part of the world to get them out of it, because you would end up getting 'dirty' yourself.

Personally this is how I feel about the org. now, I couldn't put myself back into that environment knowing that they are knee deep in ' dirty' water. I would feel that I really was a dog returning to its vomit.

But if you feel you are able to do it for the greater good then good on you for trying. I have a friend who was DF a year ago for 'normal' reasons, but because he at one time a few years back was lightly questioning some things , the elders are now very reluctant to allow him back in. He has put in a letter and had several quick chats and phone calls to the elders enquiring about when he can be re=instated. He is at every meeting , arrives after the song and leaves straight after the prayer. He doesn't even make eye contact with anyone because he was told this could be construed as him having a bad attitude. His reason for wanting back in is the same as yourself, it's to try and get people out. There is nothing more he can do......he is so frustrated at how difficult it is to get back in yet he is still determined to do it, while the elders seem just as determined to keep him out, with no real reason.

All the best to you !

• Quandry
    Quandry

Bonafide,

I do really find Reniaa amusing. The height of hypocrisy--coming on a board that is supposedly "from Satan," calling it such, knowingly disobeying the directives of the WTS, and posting,

there is no righteousness in lying and deceit is a weapon of satan.

She is "living a double life," sitting in a Kingdom Hall, and deceitfully witholding information that she posts here, and could be disfellowshipped for it!!!!!!

I would never say anyone shouldn't "go under cover" to retrieve their loved one. I remember the movie, "Not Without My Daughter" in which a woman went so far as to feign love for an abusive man in an Arab country, all the while plotting to escape with her daughter. She succeeded through much time and hard work.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

If you can open someone's eyes and save a life it may be well the effort.

There is certainly a price to pay. Developing a personal code of ethics and sticking to it is a helpful way to get through your undercover work with your personal dignity intact.

I'm thankful that some brave men and women were able to infiltrate Hitler's inner circle and help many to realize the error of the Nazi parties policies, and eventually help bring the Nazi's down. History is full of admirable people who entered enemy territory posing as something they were not for a greater cause than their own personal freedom.

I also recommend setting a strict timetable for your undercover work. It can't last forever. You only have one life to live and you need to be fair to yourself. Again, the code of ethics and some principles that you refuse to compromise is a great thing to put down on paper. For example, the last two years that I served as an undercover elder, I refused to go in the service - ever. I did not want that on my conscience...just in case a magazine I placed helped to trap someone in to the cult. I made sure that could never happen.

You'll have your own personal principles that are so important to you that you will not compromise them for anything - not even as an undercover lifesaver (aka apostate). You'll be amazed how creative you can get in order to stay in long enough to help your friends and family without sacrifcing as much as you'd think you'd have to.

Good luck to you!!

The Oracle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit