Would you rather see the WTS move mainstream or just collapse in a heap?

by ThomasCovenant 47 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

yes......oomps

• veen
    veen

Well I was chatting with a friend of mine who's still in the other day and he said "Surely you don't think it will still be around in 20 years time?"

To which I said "You're not looking to leave any time soon, so what makes you think everyone else will have in 20 years time?"

I'm pretty sure alot of people would stick with it even if the top end of the borg collapsed, because they wouldn't know how else to live their lives.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Hopscotch:

Great post. You've said everything I feel very well. I know people in my own family that fit every one of those descriptions.

• dinah
    dinah

Love that image Gregor! I wish it would implode.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I belong to a mainstream evangelical church. If the WTBS tried to become what we are, about 90% of its membership would leave. The only thing it would have in common with the WTBS of today would be the name. Here is what they would have to give up/change: trinity, immortality of the soul, two classes of Christian, memorial once a year for the annointed, higher education, blood ban, voting ban, field service reports, dress codes for meetings, disfellowshipping and shunning (no Reniaa this is not the same thing as allowing immorality - we try to help people not throw them under the bus), there's more I'm sure but you get the idea.

I don't think you're question is an either/or. If they mainstream, they'll collapse. And there will always be somebody to tell people what to do if they can't (or won't) figure it out for themselves.

• BurnTheShips
  • ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

This is what will probably happen to the JWs:

Paper mediums are dying by the wayside. The JWs have demonized the internet in the past and they got away with it. But now with so much being published online, the JWs can't fight it anymore.

JWs will read such sites as Wikipedia, Encarta and other non-JW sites about JWs, just out of curiosity. The JWs will read the information and word will get around to the congregations about Beth Sarim, Silent Lambs and other scandals. Then the fun continues. With entire congregations knowing about the JWs dirty laundry, they can either choose to disfellowship everybody who knows about the dirty laundry, or liberalize. If they liberalize, they prove themselves to be false and they face a defection of many members. If they get tougher, they cull half their membership. Remember what happened to the Soviet Union's latter days? Well, this will happen to the JWs. They can't fight opposing information for too long.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Burn, is that you in that picture? Where's your hair???

St. Ann

• redking
    redking

Great Question! I am uncertain which I would prefer. As sad as it is I must admit there are some good things about Jws they way things are now.

For example, you're a member of a worldwide organization, so no matter where you go you can find like minded people who will embrace you even if they are brainwashed many are nice.

However, a collapse would be really, really, really cool to see. It would be like armageddon only its the end of the Org and not the system of things. However, mainstream would be cool too, cuz you could continue your life as you live just much more easier like everyone else. Be able to say you are a god-fearing christian who goes to church on sundays and believe you have the truth. The bad thing about a collapse would be how much it would hurt so many people, not all Jws are bad people. Maybe if only Bethel collapsed, that would be cool. Because people still could believe in what they wanted like normal humans and the Org would basically be no more. And "First Jehovah's Witness Kingdom hall"s would be popping up all over different cities just like other religions.

One can only dream...

• steve2
    steve2

Religions that have aged well have adapted.

At one time, Methodists were considered an extremist fringe group challenging the teachings and practices of the more established religions of the day. Methodism has survived into this century primarily because as it has aged, it has wisely adapted.

By contrast, Mennonites refused to adapt, citing adherence to their teachings on Bible. They are presently an even smaller group than earlier, just a generation or 2 away from extinction.

The pressure on the Watchtower Society - in Western countries in particular - is no different than the pressure on any religious group that keeps talking about an end that never comes: Adapt or face extinction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit